Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pre Interview Computer Skills Test

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi everyone,
I've got an interview coming up which will involve passing a computer skills test in order to get a second interview. It's for an admin/data input position. I was wondering if anyone here has done anything similar and what it involved? I know that they're probably all a bit different dependent on the company, I'd just like a rough idea. I've got a GNVQ and AS level in ICT but they're quite old now and I don't want to make a fool out of myself/be out of my depth in this interview!

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Where I work does a basic excel test.

One bit of advice is, if it asks you to do something, do exactly what it says, dont use keyboard short cuts, use the menus in the program and do it 100% properly.
  • Options
    For my interview for an admin position the test was fairly simple and nothing to worry about. I was given a letter on a laminated sheet and asked to recreate it, changing the date and and the name to mine, print two copies and sign them both. It was mainly just the normal text/formatting of a letter and then it also had a little table in aswell, the table might have involved money and autosums, can't quite remember. It was easy and I was given about ten minutes to complete it too which was masses and masses of time!
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Where I work does a basic excel test.

One bit of advice is, if it asks you to do something, do exactly what it says, dont use keyboard short cuts, use the menus in the program and do it 100% properly.
    Agreed. I've seen people who did awesome interviews not get the job because they didn't read the instructions properly.
  • Options
    Harper wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I've got an interview coming up which will involve passing a computer skills test in order to get a second interview. It's for an admin/data input position. I was wondering if anyone here has done anything similar and what it involved? I know that they're probably all a bit different dependent on the company, I'd just like a rough idea. I've got a GNVQ and AS level in ICT but they're quite old now and I don't want to make a fool out of myself/be out of my depth in this interview!

Thank you.

If its for a data inputting job they may well give you a sample database along with a load of records and see how much data you can input in say 10 mins and then look to see how accurate it is.

Ohh also i've quite often had really easy computer tests during an interview which were so easy that i've spent too long looking for the catch and not enough time on filling it in
  • Options
    Thank you, everyone, for your tips and advice. The test was fairly simple and involved sorting some paper-based forms into alphabetical order and then inputting them all onto a database within a set time period.