Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Critiques

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Are people posting in here for critical evaluation of their work, or just for folk to meow and purr over? Obviously I'm prepared to critique people's work if they want, but some people take offence if they get a harsh critique.

Some other internet places have codes like HCW if "Harsh Critique is Welcome" and so on. It might be worth similar sorts of indications here.

Otherwise I won't say much else in here, because I'm too old and grumpy not to tell people like it is.

Comments

• Options
    Mist wrote: »
    Are people posting in here for critical evaluation of their work, or just for folk to meow and purr over? Obviously I'm prepared to critique people's work if they want, but some people take offence if they get a harsh critique.

Some other internet places have codes like HCW if "Harsh Critique is Welcome" and so on. It might be worth similar sorts of indications here.

Otherwise I won't say much else in here, because I'm too old and grumpy not to tell people like it is.

I think if anyone puts their work in the public domain criticism should be free. That's what I assume when I put my work up, but then I also try to specify if I want real crit, or just opinions. I always want both.
    But aye, I think people should make this clear here.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster

Never?! Don't believe that for a second :o
  • Options

Depends on the harshness of the harsh! This is my opinion:

"that's crap" = :no:

"that doesn't work because of (xyz reason)" = :yes:

:)
  • Options
    I would like critiques rather than purrs... Mist, you gave me some really helpful advice about my essay. :thumb:
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    Depends on the harshness of the harsh! This is my opinion:

"that's crap" = :no:

"that doesn't work because of (xyz reason)" = :yes:

:)

Sounds about right for me. I'm not bothered about harsh language, I'll probably hear worse on the terraces. I've put mine up because if I show it to friends I'm worried they might be too nice tbh. Just give me a reason at least why you have you're opinion so I know where I'm going wrong/right.