Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Joining the police

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im interested in joining the police at the moment but Im just a bit confused about some things.
My local force would be Bedforshire but what is the Met?Is that the main police force in london?:blush:
Also,has anybody,or is anybody,going through the application process?Whats it like?How fit do I need to be?

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

Yes the MET is the Metropolitan Police at Scotland Yard in London.

Fitness wise you would need to complete a bleep test which would require you to get 5.4, which isn't that hard. And you would also need to be able to push and pull 35kg of weight.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    It's a hard application process and if you pass the paper sift you have done really well.
    Chris my partner joined properly last October and it was a long process and alot of people people didn't make it through but if its something you really want to do then go for it.
    You don't need to be THAT fit.
  • Options
    You could become a community officer, then progress onto a 'PC'

But the community officers are just so funny ^_^
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    Aside from clicking on EVERY police force, is there an easier way to see who's recruiting/when forces will be recruiting again etc?

Get arrested in every county and ask 'em while you're in the cell :)
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    Hi,

Yes the MET is the Metropolitan Police at Scotland Yard in London.

Yeah, the MET cover most of London. They're the police force in all the different London borough's and suburbs.
    The City Of London police cover the actual city centre - Westminster e.t.c. It's quite a small police force though and I think it's harder to join them because you have to be very prim and proper as you're representing the law in the heart of the capital. The MET obviously deal with alot more serious crimes though.
  • Options
    Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    The City Of London police cover the actual city centre - Westminster e.t.c.

City of London police cover the City of London, the square mile where most of the banks and financial institutions are based. The Metropolitian Police cover the rest of the capital, including places like Westminster.

A friend of mine who was trying to get into the Met then applied for the British Transport Police and was successful. They are a nationwide force responsible for policing the rail network (and in London the underground).

Good luck...
  • Options
    Cheers guys.
    Im still considering what to do at the mo,kind of a decision to join the police or go back to the armed forces.Not sure what to do yet.

Oh,and I can choose which force and find out whos recruiting.Theres a drop down bar on the application bit.:thumb:
  • Options
    Aside from clicking on EVERY police force, is there an easier way to see who's recruiting/when forces will be recruiting again etc?

Hey,

Take a look at http://www.policecouldyou.co.uk/officers/po_vacancies.php - this will show you. It's not always 100% accurate, but it is the offical list.

Jon
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure you do yes, he is still related to you.
  • Options
    Tut you can message me any time. Won't be around much in 4 weeks and 6 days though as i will be in having our second baby!

Good luck with the application hun x
  • Options
    My local force are recruiting again :D

Can't wait to see you on Road Wars, taking a Kinder Egg out of a drug dealer :D
  • Options
    Rachie I thought you were going to be a ker-aaazy mountain sports instructor in North Wales?!
  • Options
    Thats no excuse! :p

Shall i drop you a pm on here? The closing date is in 2 weeksish.. they don't give you much chance time wise...

Yep feel free, i do pop on here quite often, just don't post much anymore.
    I will be back on later today after hospital so can reply to anything then.
  • Options
    Respect for Race and diversity, data protection act are the buzz words.

For the competancy stuff you need to make yourself sound proactive, even if you need to make it up a bit but you have to know it well incase you are asked questions on it ;).
    Just make reference to a time when you have challenged racial behaviour.
    They are trying to find out that you would naturally act like they want a police officer to act.
    If you miss it out they will tell you to go away and get some more life experience.

He said make sure you don't go over the word limits. Type it up online first etc.

Hope this is of some help, hes playing on a game atm so thats about all i got out of him for now lol.

Recruitment process has changed again since Chris joined, but he said the fitness test is piss easy (hes not that fit).
    Assessment centre day he said he found the hardest, lots of role plays etc.
  • Options
    Yes they are very big on race and diversity. If you can try and get something in about the Stephen Lawrence case as that has resulted in a big change in the way in which the police now work. Take a look at the force website for info on such things.

They will also ask about where you have been in confrontational situations and how you dealt with it, giving out instructions etc I can't remember what else atm.
  • Options
    If it's the area that you live in then just put something like you want to become more involved in the community that you live in. If it isn't then it's quite a hard question. Maybe the area having a lot of certain crimes committed, have a look at what initiatives that they have atm and maybe relate that to the question. Where I live one is Game Over 4 Knives, you may want to become part of that and help combat the fight to get them off the streets. I don't know, just an idea, but think about it as it's not the easiest thing to get through.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Speaking of the specific forces - it asks why I want to apply to that force. What sort of things are they looking for there?
    Why not just be honest?

If you want to get in the police because you want to do some good things and help people, say that.
    If you want to get in the police for the pay, say that and they'll not hire you -as they should do. No one needs more policepeople who don't really care.
  • Options
    'I think I'll look cute in the uniform' - do you think that would be ok? :D
    I'm being serious though.
    They're asking this question to (try and) sort out the people who would make good police from the ones who wouldn't. Lying on it so they'd hire you would only make you a policewoman of them kind people hate and the country/city would probably do better without.
    Joining the police is serious business. You don't just decide to do it in the same way you decide to be an air hostess or a bank clerk.
  • Options
    Yes, because being an air hostess isn't really a big deal is it? Being responsible for over 400 peoples safety and security a day isn't responsible or serious at all.
    tbh, not in the same way. At least I don't view it this way. Police requires not only being able to do things, but doing them for the right reasons and having good judgement about them.

Agree or disagree with the above though, the fact remains: They know what qualities to look for in people, so let them see if you have them. Don't lie.
  • Options
    I'm not going to lie and wasn't intending to either. I want to join the police, for what I feel are the right reasons. Do you really think I'd want to join because I like the uniform or because Rubberskin might want to play with my handcuffs?
    No :p

I guess what I meant is, if you want to do it for what you think is the right reasons, why not just answer with explaining these reasons?
  • Options
    OK.. so can I put that I think I'll look good in the uniform? :p

:lol:
    Sure, they might be looking for people to hire for a nice storefront. ;) You never know!
  • Options
    The racist, insensitive or discrimatory behaviour question - I'm going to use the the time at work where two guys kept making comments about terrorism and getting blown up, would that be ok? It was pretty insensitive imo and was making other passengers on edge.

I'm going to play on the life experience part and say how I wanted to apply when I was younger but wanted to persue personal development to offer my best.. sort of thing. I'm good at making myself look like I'm super woman :D:p

Thanks Tweety, you're a massive help :heart::heart::heart:

Sounds good to me, let me know how you get on.
    The paper sift is where alot of people get thrown out, so sit down and really think about what you want to say. x
  • Options
    Ooh tell us about the time you evacuated an aircraft?
  • Options
    If you don't get in you could always try the Special Constable route, that way you will get a good insight into what policing is all about and be able to work on the skills that are needed to become a good officer. Of course the downside is you don't get paid, but still.
  • Options

Currently working my way through face book to delete any drunken pictures :razz:

Lol
  • Options
    Hows the application going Rachie?
  • Options
    Which force are you looking at?
  • Options
    Yeah it's not something to be rushed, although don't miss the deadline lol.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote: »
    Yeah it's not something to be rushed, although don't miss the deadline lol.

Guilty as charged here.:blush:
  • Options
    oops