Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Portrayal of Young People in the media

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Any reports on 'young violence' in the media usually fail to mention that the subjects are 99% of the time chavs in tracksuit bottoms and baseball caps. I've only seen one report (ever!) where the subject's social clique was mentioned, and that was because this guy was a self proclaimed 'goth'. Ironic? I think so.

People read this bull and start thinking all young people are bad. Any CCTV videos ever released of incidents, they are full of addidas stripes and burburrey - But the public fail to notice this because imho, the media works to make the public see what the media wants the public to see.

People are afraid to go out at night because the media gives them reasons to fear the masses rather that the minority. Media is the medium through which the government 'controls' it's people, which lets the politicians grow fat and rich and continue lying because it suits them. The media controls the people through fear. And that fear is unfairly blamed on a majority (young people) rather than a minority (EXAMPLE: chavs).

I don't want to sound like i'm ranting at chavs, i'm just comparing what I have seen in real life to what is on our screens because being looked at with disdain by the general public is not what people my age want, to be honest.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this, or if it is just me being biased because of what I experience in the real world. OR If anyone else has any views on the subject and wants to share them.

PS - Any comments directing hate at/steryotyping me or anyone else on this board will be deleted. And that includes calling names like emo/goth/grebo or whatever because of our unbiased views on other social cliques. And no, i'm not emo, i'm a skater - But I love you awesome emo people out there, showing your emotions is nothing to be ashamed of!

Comments

• Options
    It's ever so slightly hypocritical to tell people not to judge you based on your stereotypical (and self-labelled) social clique, while doing the exact same thing to another, ill-defined group of people. What exactly is a chav - someone who wears sports clothing, or someone who is antisocial? Are all chavs antisocial? Are all antisocial acts commited by people in tracksuits? It's a ridiculous idea to pigeonhole any people based on how they look.
  • Options
    Al_Bass wrote: »
    PS - Any comments directing hate at/steryotyping me or anyone else on this board will be deleted. And that includes calling names like emo/goth/grebo or whatever because of our unbiased views on other social cliques. And no, i'm not emo, i'm a skater - But I love you awesome emo people out there, showing your emotions is nothing to be ashamed of!

Sorry, I didn't realise that these boards were now under your control. :rolleyes: Twat.
  • Options

Nice of you to tell us
  • Options
    haha your mas a fuckin goat
  • Options
    z- wrote: »

:lol:
  • Options
    I agree entirely with the OP, there is a hugely negative portrayal of young people in the media, most of it undeserved. I work with young people in a policing capacity in secondary schools. Yes they're all boistrous and high-spirited but that isn't a bad thing. They are, in the main intelligent, polite, thoughtful and respectful.
    When questioned about their concerns in their local area, they are identical of those in the older generation.

Yes, some of them can be gits, but so can older people.

But, to the OP. To think you can come to this board as a noob member and attempt to tell us what will happen if we dare criticise someone based on their clothing, when you yourself have done exactly the same smacks of arrogance, and total ignorance of what we are all like on these boards. If anything won't be tolerated and would result in posts being deleted, it would be ones like yours threatening us all.
  • Options
    Any reports on 'young violence' in the media usually fail to mention that the subjects are 99% of the time chavs in tracksuit bottoms and baseball caps. I've only seen one report (ever!) where the subject's social clique was mentioned, and that was because this guy was a self proclaimed 'goth'. Ironic? I think so.

People read this bull and start thinking all young people are bad. Any CCTV videos ever released of incidents, they are full of addidas stripes and burburrey - But the public fail to notice this because imho, the media works to make the public see what the media wants the public to see.

People are afraid to go out at night because the media gives them reasons to fear the masses rather that the minority. Media is the medium through which the government 'controls' it's people, which lets the politicians grow fat and rich and continue lying because it suits them. The media controls the people through fear. And that fear is unfairly blamed on a majority (young people) rather than a minority (EXAMPLE: chavs).

I don't want to sound like i'm ranting at chavs, i'm just comparing what I have seen in real life to what is on our screens because being looked at with disdain by the general public is not what people my age want, to be honest.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this, or if it is just me being biased because of what I experience in the real world. OR If anyone else has any views on the subject and wants to share them.

Wow, impressive way of making yourself look an utter cock with your first post! :D:thumb:
  • Options
    Okay folks, enough of calling the OP names please.

However to point out two obvious things. We decide what comments will be deleted and the original post is almost unacceptable because it's so filled with stereotyping.

Since the OP does seem genuinely interested in the issues, despite the obvious flaw in their position, it's worth leaving it up for now.
  • Options

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Are there any goats that don't fuck?
  • Options
    I think you've identified a really important issue (quick plug for the Respect campaign). But you've slightly undermined yourself by doing the same the media do and assuming that all people in a certain group are causing trouble.
  • Options
    young'ns get a bum rap. The older the get, the less people hassle you.
  • Options
    I find the term 'chav' derrogatory. Maybe goths, emos or any other youth fad are less representitive because demographically (in my experience at least), the majority of these kids come from nice middle class backgrounds rather than council estates.

I think that as usual, society likes to attack the most vulnerable people, be it minorities, asylum seekers, or young working class people.

That is just my view from my own experience.
  • Options
    OP, not only have you labeled chavs, but you've also labeled everyone else.

Don't call yourself a fucking skater, for God's sake. Where is the need in that??
  • Options
    The only use of stereotypes imo is in comic strips. Emos cry and cut themselves, goths pray for death to come swiftly and dramatically, chavs drink cheap cider and generally win themselves lots of darwin awards. It's pretty entertaining in comics, actually - same with rednecks and so on.

The reality is completely different from the fiction though, despite most generalisations having a loose basis on some truth.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    The only use of stereotypes imo is in comic strips. Emos cry and cut themselves, goths pray for death to come swiftly and dramatically, chavs drink cheap cider and generally win themselves lots of darwin awards. It's pretty entertaining in comics, actually - same with rednecks and so on.

The reality is completely different from the fiction though, despite most generalisations having a loose basis on some truth.

Comic strips, or comedy.
    I have no idea where these stereotypes come from but they really annoy me.