Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Oh come on!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Political correctness has taken over. I read on Teletext, this man in Bolton had advertised for some staff in a cafe, in this shopping complex. Along with a list of what he wanted, he wanted the staff to be 'friendly' - the ad was banned because it caused 'discrimination'. He couldn't use the word 'friendly' because it 'discriminated against people who were not lucky enough to have that sort of personality'

Me thinks the UK has finally lost the plot. If you need me I will be stocking up on bottles of water. :)

Comments

• Options
    Re: Oh come on!!
    Originally posted by go_away
    If you need me I will be stocking up on bottles of water. :)
    Yes I agree, just not sure where the bottled water comes in :confused:
  • Options
    I don't know if I believe them or not, but I love these stories. I seriously think that with the PC thing you could make up just about anything and if you said it was 'political correctness gone mad!' people would believe it.
  • Options
    Oh so we can't give customer care jobs to just the freindly people. Why not? Surely freindliness is a qualifying characteristic for such a job. An unfreindly waiter could cause a loss of customers so obviously you are going to aim to get a freindly person. I've seen ads for jobs that require an "outgoing personality" Is this discrimination against introverts? Of course not. It just means these people aren't suitable for the jobs. And lets be honest an unfreindly sociopath isn't going to enjoy working with people so they probably wouldn't apply for such a job anyway!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Captain Slog
    Surely freindliness is a qualifying characteristic for such a job. An unfreindly waiter could cause a loss of customers so obviously you are going to aim to get a freindly person.

Suppose you run a small business with only a handful of employees, a small accountancy practice for example. So, the people you need have to be properly qualified in the professional, accounting sense. Also, since we're dealing with a small business, you want people who are reliable, since the absence of just one person will adversely affect the entire company.

Now suppose that you have an open position, and a female applicant. Now, obviously, if she takes maternity leave this will blow a small hole in your company. However, despite this valid concern, it is not even legal for you, when interviewing her, to ask if she is even considering having a family.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish

Yes I agree, just not sure where the bottled water comes in :confused:

You can get it in most good supermarkets. And many of the bad ones.

*wonders off without actually contributing anything to the thread*
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mindless all the way
    You can get it in most good supermarkets. And many of the bad ones.
    Erm...so?
  • Options
    I think it was a reference to the end of civilisation as we know it.

Hilarious, I'm sure... :p
  • Options
    I saw that story too. The world has gone mad. I don't really see the point of the ad being banned, because the employ will tell who's friendly and who's sad and depressed at the interview.

But soon there will be tick boxes on job application forms to make sure that the job has filled its quota for the amount of miserable gits in employment.:D
  • Options
    Re: Oh come on!!
    Originally posted by go_away
    Political correctness has taken over. I read on Teletext, this man in Bolton had advertised for some staff in a cafe, in this shopping complex. Along with a list of what he wanted, he wanted the staff to be 'friendly' - the ad was banned

But who banned it? The person who banned it must have no friend at all in this world.
  • Options
    Well I am a moody mare but still manage to get jobs..it's called acting.
  • Options
    spacecraft.gif