Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ex Wants Me Out!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:( My ex partner told me last week that he doesn't want to be with me anymore!

We have lived together for over 3 years and only recently moved into a new apartment in Sept?! We have a joint tenancy for 12 months aswell!

What I am wanting to know is, I know that I have a right to stay in the property (not that I want to!), but what are my rights-like am I entitled to half the deposit back when I leave?

We also used to work together and now I have to find a new job! He has cut me off completely-I have no access to our finances as the sole income came from the business account.

He has said he will not terminate my employment just yet, but obviously I am under pressure to find a new job asap then new place to live! I have no savings and I sacrificed a lot to help him with the business, which was started just over a year ago. I feel used and you can imagine the amount of swear words I have used in the last week!

I hate living with him still but at the moment I have no choice! Will I be able to take my name off the tenancy when the time comes?:(

Comments

• Options
    How are you employed, do you co-own the company or do you just work for it? (If you have any agreed amount of pay in your contract then he cant legally stop paying you that!) ACAS is your best bet for further advice. As for the housing situation, Shelter or AsktheSite function should be able to help.

Is there anyone (freind, relative) you could move in with, even on a short term basis just to put some distance between you and your ex? If you dont have a bank account in your own name open one asap, you should be able to a basic open one with a very small opening deposit.
  • Options
    Hiya

I was quite stupid and trusting really. I am employed by him, (which at the time he said was for tax reasons) No contract of employment and all we had really was a verbally agreed amount with regards to pay. I sacrificed a lot for him, supported him through the last year opening the shop and now I do feel used & very stupid!

There is probably 1 friend who I could stop with temporarily, but at the moment I have no money-I am waiting for him to give me some at the start of the month to cover my bills! I don't exactly trust him either with my belongings whilst I am not there!

I am applying for as many jobs as I can so I can get away from him.:(
  • Options
    Speak to ACAS, even if you dont have a formal written contract you do have certain rights in law after being employed for a certain period of time (12 continuous weeks I think). Him not paying you is in breach of your contract of employment (Get your own bank account if you dont have one already, dont let him take any more of your money). If you have payslips then that shows what your entitled to (and if your not getting those then he deserves a large book being thrown at him). I'm a trainee accountant so I know far too much about payroll rules/employment laws etc.

As for your belongings, do you have a self storage place anywhere near you? Not always cheap but a lot safer if you dont trust him with your belongings. I hope the job hunting goes well. Even something temporary will help you right now.
  • Options
    Thanks for advice-I will prob get on to ACAS 2morro.

I'm sure I have a payslip sumwhr-just in case! I do have my own bank account so at least that's 1 thing.

We are being civil as we still have to live together-but as soon as I can, I am off!

Thanks

xx