Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Women wearing next to nothing - come and see it!

article-0-026CB551000005DC-413_468x663.jpg

Have I got your attention now? :p If so, take a look at this. According to the Daily Mail's website; "Low-cost airline Ryanair has flown into a storm after its latest charity calendar was branded sexist. A series of glossy photos feature scantily-clad female cabin crew who look more like page three pinups than plane staff. But despite raising money for homeless charity Dublin Simon Community, the calendar has already run into trouble." Click here for more details, and the rest of the pictures from the calendar.

I'll be totally honest - none of the women pictured do it for me. They look nice, but nothing more. As for claims that "the company is attacking the dignity of women workers", I'd tell them to jump off a cliff. What exactly is sexist about this? It's just a bunch of women wearing next to nothing for a calendar which will raise lots of money for charity. What's the fucking problem with that?

Over to you...
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Looks good to me. How can none of them do it for you? Some of them would even get me to consider flying Ryanair......actually, maybe not.
  • Options
    I don't get this nonsense frankly.

How can such a thing be really branded 'sexist' or degrading' if the women in question agreed to do such a thing? Talk about a bunch of do-gooders putting words in other peoples' mouths.....
  • Options
    The girl on the left in that picture has really awesome shoes....

If the girls took part willingly, I don't see the problem. If it's raising money then fair play to Ryanair, they clearly know what sells.
  • Options
    Steve87 wrote: »
    How can such a thing be really branded 'sexist' or degrading' if the women in question agreed to do such a thing?
    I don't see how that follows. Just because you can find a black actor to appear in your blatantly racist play doesn't mean it ceases to be racist.
  • Options
    The April model is called Miss Cockpit.

Oh snap.
  • Options
    I dont think i could kick either of them out of bed, for any reason whatsoever.

Plus where is rachie_004's month?

Hey if its for charity and the women in the calendar agreed willingly, then why not? Following the outrage bus, why not brand the WI calendar sexist, hey maybe they are a little older, but the point is its still a calendar of naked women, and they'd do it for someone somewhere.
  • Options
    I'd shag them -still wouldn't fly Ryanair
  • Options
    Looks good to me. How can none of them do it for you
    Because they all look the same to me. Long legs, high heels, small boobs, probably airbrushed to within an inch of their lives... it's not for me. Although I must admit I probably wouldn't say no in the unlikely event one of them gave me an offer.

Would anyone have said this was "sexist" if it was 12 male pilots who'd posed, for example?

And yes, where IS Rachie_004's month? I'm outraged. :(
  • Options
    I'd shag them -still wouldn't fly Ryanair

I concur, though if they did staff like that, dressed like that, and £8 flights to america, i dont mind the extra fees!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    2008-11-11Womenwearingnexttonothing.jpg

Feel free to not laugh, right about now. :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    What exactly is sexist about this? It's just a bunch of women wearing next to nothing for a calendar which will raise lots of money for charity. What's the fucking problem with that?

Over to you...
    It's sexist because it is presenting women as sexual objects, it is objectifying.

Whether or not they consented to it is another matter... You could argue the same for prostitution, that it is a woman's choice. Most people who buy the calender will not be looking at the women with respect, or at how empowered, funny or clever they are... They are more likely to be thinking this.
    I'd shag them

May not be a good move for the charity's PR... However, donating to a charity may at least benefit the image of Ryanair.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    It's sexist because it is presenting women as sexual objects, it is objectifying.
    Would you say the same thing if it was 12 men in this calendar?
    Whether or not they consented to it is another matter... You could argue the same for prostitution, that it is a woman's choice. Most people who buy the calender will not be looking at the women with respect, or at how empowered, funny or clever they are... They are more likely to be thinking this - "I'd shag them"
    Oh, don't give me that rubbish. If this was a calendar with 12 naked male pilots all with fantastic bodies, women would not be buying it because "it's art" or "it shows how beautiful the male body is" - they'd look at it thinking "I wouldn't mind doing him". :p

Objectification works both ways, Namaste!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit

To simply present somebody as a sexual object is not sexist. To present only women as sexual obects is sexist. Half naked male calenders to exist, though not they're not a numerous as female calenders which could be seen as sexist.

Personally I don't think calendars are anything as bad as mags liek Nuts. calenders such as this are often done by organisations for charity and a bit of fun. A few years ago loads of old grannies from nearby village did one, is that less sexist because they're not as good looking?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I went to a focus group a couple of years ago for a magazine that was about to be launched (similar to Scarlet magazine) and the sample magazines had a centrefold of a semi-naked man and the overall consensus was really negative - professional grown women in the group didn't want the centrefold as it reminded them so much of those dire teenage magazines aimed at girls during the days of Peter Andre posing with his 24-pack.

I agree that it's objectification, whether or not it's sexist depends on the context I suppose.
  • Options
    Would you say the same thing if it was 12 men in this calendar? Oh, don't give me that rubbish. If this was a calendar with 12 naked male pilots all with fantastic bodies, women would not be buying it because "it's art" or "it shows how beautiful the male body is" - they'd look at it thinking "I wouldn't mind doing him". :p

Objectification works both ways, Namaste!
    Oh we're not going to debate this then?

I think women would probably be buying that and thinking they'd like to fuck the men as well...

But objectification, rape, sexual discrimination, sexual slavery, prostitution, rape as a weapon of war and other forms of sexism and sexual violence, whilst can happen to men (as feminists will always be reminded, should some of us dare bring up the topic that women's rights do need to progress in some areas) are still more frequently female issues.

I could really write an essay on the topic... But I do think that sexism is historically more a problem for women that men. I think that posters reinforce this and sexual stereotypes.

I know there are calenders with naked men on, but I think that gender stereotyping still places men in dominant roles, as a 'stud'. I don't think that gender stereotyping is good for either, but that in the case of sexual stereotyping, women experience it far worse than men ever have.

As for the poster, Miss Wet (aroused) and Miss Wild (will probably do just about anything for some cock) and the blatant hand on the about to ejeculate cock is just tacky and bad photography anyway.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    A few years ago loads of old grannies from nearby village did one, is that less sexist because they're not as good looking?
    I think that it would depend on the tone of the photography.

A naked body can be beautiful without having "fuck me" written all over it.
  • Options
    But objectification, rape, sexual discrimination, sexual slavery, prostitution, rape as a weapon of war and other forms of sexism and sexual violence...
    So women posing in next to nothing for a calendar to tantamount to rape in Namaste land.
    I could really write an essay on the topic... But I do think that sexism is historically more a problem for women that men. I think that posters reinforce this and sexual stereotypes.
    Oh here we go. Out come all the usual "all women are victims and all men are bastards" mentality that we've heard from you a million times before. Who the hell are you to say whether the women who appeared in this thought they were reinforcing sexual stereotypes? Maybe these women thought "I've got a great body, why not show it off to the world?" - who are you to tell them otherwise?

If there are blokes out there who are sad enough to want to jack off over pictures in a calendar, that's their business.
  • Options

I'll be totally honest - none of the women pictured do it for me. They look nice, but nothing more.

I disagree...
  • Options

If there are blokes out there who are sad enough to want to jack off over pictures in a calendar, that's their business.

... ya know some of us have to go to public places to use wifi. We're not sad, just broke.
  • Options
    So women posing in next to nothing for a calendar to tantamount to rape in Namaste land. Oh here we go. Out come all the usual "all women are victims and all men are bastards" mentality that we've heard from you a million times before. Who the hell are you to say whether the women who appeared in this thought they were reinforcing sexual stereotypes? Maybe these women thought "I've got a great body, why not show it off to the world?" - who are you to tell them otherwise?

What are you on about?

If you read that in to what I write, that's your problem. Most intelligent and balanced people will know I have never called men "bastards" and the last thing I would do is say that all women are victims... What a degrading mentality that would be. :rolleyes:

I'm not telling anybody anything, nor am I telling these women what to think about themselves and their intentions on posing for the posters.

Aggressive tonight aren't we Stargalaxy.

And yes, it is men's business if they want to wank over pictures of women... It is a woman's choice if she wants to pose in suggestive ways and if she thinks it is empowering. Some people argue that the sex industry (in general, the same could be said for calenders like this) are no more exploitative than working for low wages in a factory.
  • Options

And yes, it is men's business if they want to wank over pictures of women... It is a woman's choice if she wants to pose in suggestive ways and if she thinks it is empowering. Some people argue that the sex industry (in general, the same could be said for calenders like this) are no more exploitative than working for low wages in a factory.

Except I'm pretty sure the pay is a little better.
  • Options
    Except I'm pretty sure the pay is a little better.
    Probably more flexible hours too.
  • Options
    Well it isn't something that is going to raise my opinion of Ryanair.
  • Options
    ...I have never called men "bastards" and the last thing I would do is say that all women are victims... I'm not telling anybody anything, nor am I telling these women what to think about themselves and their intentions on posing for the posters... And yes, it is men's business if they want to wank over pictures of women...
    Well, if we're in agreement on all this, what the hell are we arguing about?
    Aggressive tonight aren't we Stargalaxy.
    No more so than usual.
  • Options
    Well, if we're in agreement on all this, what the hell are we arguing about?

I'm not arguing, you're putting words in my mouth.
  • Options
    I'm not arguing, you're putting words in my mouth.

Funny how I often get accused of doing it with stargalaxy's words when I really dont, yet he seems to think its ok for him to go and do it himself.

I just think he must have left rant mode left on from earlier.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Steve87 wrote: »
    I don't get this nonsense frankly.

How can such a thing be really branded 'sexist' or degrading' if the women in question agreed to do such a thing? Talk about a bunch of do-gooders putting words in other peoples' mouths.....

Pretty much my point of view. The staff have agreed to do it, its for charity - I can't see a problem?!
  • Options
    Why is presenting women as sexual "objects" automatically sexist? There are only two (hopefully) things in the world that it should be okay to portray as sexual, and that is men and women. Women are portrayed as sexual because they are sexual. I'd be worried about any woman who didn't consider herself to be a sexual being.
  • Options
    it is sexist, because its presenting its female staff as sex objects.

That doesnt mean its the worst thing in the world.

I think its ok. The women were hopefully up for it, even though they do look miserable as sin, and its to raise money for charity. I dont really see much harm in it
  • Options
    Why is presenting women as sexual "objects" automatically sexist? There are only two (hopefully) things in the world that it should be okay to portray as sexual, and that is men and women. Women are portrayed as sexual because they are sexual. I'd be worried about any woman who didn't consider herself to be a sexual being.

It's different being a sexual being and being a sexual object though, like a sexual object is something that's there for someone to pick up, get sexual gratification over, then put down. Women are better than that.

But I agree with SCC that if they were consenting and it is for a good cause then it's hardly the crime of the century.