Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Revive an old topid. Nail Polish on Men ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not going to ask if its ok or not. There my nails so my decision :-)

I am curious about peoples thoughts on it. Also why some people react so adamantly against it but only online never in real life.

One year on a "dare" I got my nails done. I drove the family up to the mall (my mom sister's and brother) we stopped by the nail shop the three girls where getting there nails done today. My sister dared me to get mine done.

I am game for most anything so I said what the hell. I could always just cut them off right.

So I got some bright red around 2 inch long nails (acrylic)

well turns out I absolutely LOVED the way they looked. It was the most "fun" I have had with style or looks in quite some time.

There are only 2 circumstances over the last 4 years where I have not had them done. When I "rip" one off (3 times I did that ripped the nail and natural nail off all the way to the cuticle boy does that smart but not as painful as I thought it would be) so I leave them off till it grows out again. OR if I just don't have the cash :-)

Otherwise I always have my nails done and always professionally.

I do not do black. No clear No brown. I only do exciting bright colors for the most part with Orange Blue and Red being my favorites.

I am wondering if much has changed over the last few years since that last thread in 2005/2006

99% of people never even noticed or just give a quick what the heck second look and then there on there way again.

I tend to get a lot of compliments on them and only from women.

I only ever had to "negative" instances. a punk in 7-11 I growled and snarled at him and chewed him out in front of his friends (I am 6'4" 400 pounds) so even though I am the nicest guy you might meet I know how to pull on mean if i need to :-) hehe I think he was going to pee himself.

The other time was a lady who came into the store called me a heathen and stormed out!

This one was odd at first I had NO idea why she would say and or react like that ?? (My manager said that he had seen here in the store before and she was very religious and probably associated the nails with "gay" and that she likely considered gay to be bad religiously)

Now here is the odd part. this ones only partly negative. She called back the next day on the phone almost in tears profusely apologizing. She felt so bad considering what she believed in and comparing it to how she reacted. I told her it was no big deal. I said you are showing your true colors now. You had the will and determination to track me down and apologize something you did not "have" to do. That shows a lot more about your character than a little outburst. Most people would not have bothered. Made her feel a lot better.

Beyond that never a negative reaction that I am aware of though I imagine there were a few behind my back incidents :-)

Most of it seems to be to be how you carry yourself. IF YOUR confident people tend to be ok with it. If your oozing insecurity people are going to leap onto that.

Any others out there doing this? Any girls out there doing there guys :-) hehe

Comments

• Options
    tbh, i'm a sound engineer and thus wouldn't dream of having acrylics. But i don't like acrylics on anyone! painted nails are different and a male friend of mine went to a job interview with painted nails (it was at a fashion magazine, it ended up being a big talking point and got him to job).
  • Options
    Hmm I am curious why you do not like acrylics? they appear normal to me IE they look like normal nails to me.

I can not grow mine (they get brittle at even tiny lengths) and paint will not stick to them. Acrylic sticks just fine though :-)

I would love to hear more about why you don't like them?
  • Options
    I find acrylic nails hard to handle lol. I don't mind nail varnish (dark ones) on blokes but I'm not sure about long nails.
  • Options
    they are too long, they look fake, they break easier than real nails, they get in the way, you can't play guitar with them, i wouldn't be allowed on the mat in ju jitsu class with them, they have the tendency to fuck up your real nails... you can't operate a lot of graphic EQs with them, a friend got her's caught in a mixing desk before and trying to do soldering with them would be a shit too.

as you can tell, i do a lot of manual jobs so, they would be really bad idea for me. I'm having to put my new tattoo off until the summer as i can't do ju jitsu with a healing tat on my back, incase i get thrown
  • Options
    nerys71 wrote: »
    Hmm I am curious why you do not like acrylics? they appear normal to me IE they look like normal nails to me.

Acrylics don't look normal imo. They generally look plastic and bleh. But then I've only really seen the french manicure or the ones with patterns on. I guess if they are one block colour they would look quite good.

I don't think I'd have a problem with a guy getting his nails done so long as they were a decent length. I hate guys with long nails in general though.
  • Options
    yuck. never.
    nailpolish and 200 pounds? I would run like chased by the devil if I saw you.
  • Options
    tl/dr

I used to paint my toenails untill MMA fighters started doing it and it became trendy
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    yuck. never.
    nailpolish and 200 pounds? I would run like chased by the devil if I saw you.
    He mentioned a 7-11 and they have them in America but not the UK so I assume he's american so meant dollars. Even in dollars that's a lot of money.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Acrylics don't look normal imo. They generally look plastic and bleh.

:yes: Regardless of what colour/style you have them. Bit like fake hair, very obvious and not very nice.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    He mentioned a 7-11 and they have them in America but not the UK so I assume he's american so meant dollars. Even in dollars that's a lot of money.

you what :confused:

@OP, not my cuppa tea but whatever floats your boat!
  • Options
    z- wrote: »
    you what :confused:
    Stubbles thought he spent £200 so I pointed out it could be $200.
  • Options
    I think he ment in weight. 200 pounds

I find fake nails to be really thick and weird. No messing about that they are falsies.

And if you are in the US, you should really look into the places you go get them done. There are very very few health and saftey regulations for nail salons. Using the same clipppers, filers, cutical thingies, and all those weird tools they use on nasty crunchy feet... same one for you that they used on my fungus filled toenails and most of the time giving them nothing more than a quick rinse (if you are lucky). Many are very dirty and disgusting when you get down to it, no matter how nice and clean they look.

And even the laws they do have are rarely followed.

Just never let them touch you with the tools unless you see it come out of a new and sealed thing.
  • Options
    Oh I get it now hehe.
  • Options
    No I said 400 ie double 200. hehe yeah I am a big boy thats for sure. I do not think its physically possible for me to be 200 pounds. When I was in High School I was 185-190 in 10th grade and I had almost zero fat on me and was only 6'0". College was what did me in. I ate and I mean I ATE.

I ate what 3 people might eat sometimes. but I also DID the things 3 people might do. Hence I was big but never fat.

in college my activity level went to near zero AND I was introduced to "computers and internet"

BUT I continued to EAT like I always did. BOOM gained 150 pounds in under a year and let me tell you its absolute MURDER to get rid of it.

I have not gained any more weight but losing its just a royal pain in the you know what.

Most people guess me at 300 pounds I laugh and then tell them 407.

as for acrylics being hard to handle. Yet anything but short can "get in the way" but most of the things I do are workable without much fuss at all.

I personally love how they look. They look "perfect" that absolutely smooth perfect shape perfect gloss. I do straight colors just never got into the patterns and stuff.

Now if one of these shops ever got that nail art ink jet printer thing well then things might get really interesting. The first thing I would do is the sun and planets on each nail :-)

I have also found them to be insanely durable. I mean I have only broken them a few time and I was being visciously aggressive with them IE biting them or using them as a screwdriver or wedge :-) it really take a lot to hurt these things.

As for finish. Mines bullet proof. I get this stuff at walmart in a chrome bottle. Sally Hanson I think its a Clear Coat. It makes them super glossy (which I like) and makes them virtually indestructible (the paint)

I hammer away at a keyboard. Tear down rebuild computers (lots of sharp pointed edges etc..) I build rockets models etc.. No problems.

Well ok if I get CA on them it eats the paint like candy but CA eats almost anything so... :-)

Either way its the only way I can do it. My natural nails will not harden and will not hold paint. I gave up buying different base coats they all fail.

Plus I like longer nails. You get more color and there more fun :-)

I attached a pic of what they look like right now and this is after a days work being nasty to them :-) that sally hanson stuff (will get the name later) is really good stuff.