Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Are skin heads still socially frowned upon?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I like shaving my head, like the feel and like the way it looks so I'm not changing it for anyone :heart:

But I just wonder what people's thoughts are? When you see someone with a skin head do you instantly think he's a yob or a neo-nazi? I have it short as it can go, but there's usually a faint outline of my hairline.

Comments

• Options
    i wouldnt say so

would depend more on the style of clothing your wearing and the way you generally come across to people in terms of behaviour imo!
  • Options
    I love skin heads haha
    I am known to only fancy skin heads!

Unless you act like a yob, dress like a neo nazi etc, then unless someone is very narrow minded, I cant see how you having no hair will affect their judgement of you
  • Options
    a
  • Options
    Aspire wrote: »
    I like shaving my head, like the feel and like the way it looks so I'm not changing it for anyone :heart:

But I just wonder what people's thoughts are? When you see someone with a skin head do you instantly think he's a yob or a neo-nazi? I have it short as it can go, but there's usually a faint outline of my hairline.

nothing wrong with skinheads in my opinion. dont really know any tbh but if i saw some i wouldnt like run away or think nazi or anything lol. i tend to tryn not to judge people on what they wear or anything like that i just try to get to know them. however my opinion of chavs is dropping due to the constant little wannabees trying to start fights with me ect but that is subconcious and i try not to let it happen. one of the little fucks threatened me with a peaice of wood with a nail in the end the other night. he was about 13!. fucking yob.
  • Options
    moby's not a skinhead..
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

Not at all - there are quite a few guys with shaved heads at TheSite.org towers.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    Not at all - there are quite a few guys with shaved heads at TheSite.org towers.

To be fair, that doesn't automatically make us socially acceptable though ;)

I think it's two different things - a gang of twenty guys in Docs, nazi armbands and braces are going to look intimidating anytime, but just having a shaved head isn't really a sign of anything these days. God, it's better than a combover :)
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    I think it's two different things - a gang of twenty guys in Docs, nazi armbands and braces are going to look intimidating anytime, but just having a shaved head isn't really a sign of anything these days. God, it's better than a combover :)

:yes:

I think it takes much more than just a shaved head to make someone look intimidating. My husband shaves his off (cause it's leaving of its own accord anyway) and I doubt anyone thinks 'skinhead' when they look at him. Just 'baldy' :p
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Just having a shaved head wouldn't make me look at you twice, in any way.
    If you also had a lot of tatoos and piercings everywhere, wore nothing but leather with lots of chains and looked like you're unable to smile, however, I admit that although I'd probably be in the wrong I'd be "intimidated". But to be fair, it would be the same regardless of the hair. :p
  • Options
    If you also had a lot of tatoos and piercings everywhere, wore nothing but leather with lots of chains and looked like you're unable to smile, however, I admit that although I'd probably be in the wrong I'd be "intimidated".

Why ? They'd more than likely be going to a club called Pump or RAM ! and be able to do something fabulous with you hair :)
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Why ? They'd more than likely be going to a club called Pump or RAM ! and be able to do something fabulous with you hair :)
    or be a mate of mine by the sounds of it...

i have a few friends with skinhead and long beards, like wizard beards, and they look kinda cool
  • Options
    Haha Trinity, you mean like the bloke on this vid? -http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_1nzEFMjkI4

Nice to see the general consensus on skinheads has, so far, been positive. I'll leave the Doc Martins at home though.. Shave on, brothers!
  • Options
    I shave my head, not a skinhead as such but its very short. A number 1 grade. I havent had any problems with it, no one treats me any different :p It suits me, so whatever.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Jim V wrote: »
    I think it's two different things - a gang of twenty guys in Docs, nazi armbands and braces are going to look intimidating anytime, but just having a shaved head isn't really a sign of anything these days.

Three different things I would say. Not all those wearing Docs, braces and Ben Sherman are Nazi's either. :D
    Been to a few two tone ska gigs and everybody's dressed like that.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    bonehead, bonehead...
  • Options
    Haha Trinity, you mean like the bloke on this vid? -http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_1nzEFMjkI4

Nice to see the general consensus on skinheads has, so far, been positive. I'll leave the Doc Martins at home though.. Shave on, brothers!
    yes! exactly like that...but they are normally druids!
  • Options
    But I just wonder what people's thoughts are? When you see someone with a skin head do you instantly think he's a yob or a neo-nazi?

haha, never heard the saying "i'm not bald it's just a solar pannel for a sex machine"

nor seriously though i don't see any thing wrong with a bland lad, my ex was bald and i never really thought about it
  • Options
    haha, never heard the saying "i'm not bald it's just a solar pannel for a sex machine"

nor seriously though i don't see any thing wrong with a bland lad, my ex was bald and i never really thought about it

Bald and Skin head are not the same thing...
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    Bald and Skin head are not the same thing...

Tiz for me....

I started going bald when I was 20 and for years I just gave myself a number 1 all over every fortnight or so but only recently I decided to wet shave the lot off.

As for peoples' reactions, it's not just what you're wearing, it's your face too. If you have a 'hard' face then you might find people crossing the road to avoid walking past you. If you have an effeminate face then you might find men in leather trousers and moustaches approaching you.

If you're anywhere in between like myself then people will generally 'nothing' you. My age might have something to do with it (my birth certificate says 1974) but then again I suppose it's your manner too. If you act 'suspicious' then I guess people will view that way.

Funnily enough some women just love running their hands over my freshly shaved head....well, i hope that's what they're doing, and not wiping their hands...:eek2:
  • Options
    Tiz for me....

I started going bald when I was 20 and for years I just gave myself a number 1 all over every fortnight or so but only recently I decided to wet shave the lot off.

As for peoples' reactions, it's not just what you're wearing, it's your face too. If you have a 'hard' face then you might find people crossing the road to avoid walking past you. If you have an effeminate face then you might find men in leather trousers and moustaches approaching you.

If you're anywhere in between like myself then people will generally 'nothing' you. My age might have something to do with it (my birth certificate says 1974) but then again I suppose it's your manner too. If you act 'suspicious' then I guess people will view that way.

Funnily enough some women just love running their hands over my freshly shaved head....well, i hope that's what they're doing, and not wiping their hands...:eek2:

Indeed - I should have said "necessarily".