Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Living with a partner who is both depressed and a recovering alcoholic

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My partner is seriously depressed and it is draining me! They are angry and argumentative, boring, spoil all plans that are made at the last minute!

Comments

• Options
    Kim007 wrote: »
    My partner is seriously depressed and it is draining me! They are angry and argumentative, boring, spoil all plans that are made at the last minute!

what do you mean by 'they'. people suffering depression? i know it is very hard if a loved one has depression but dont you think your being a little insensitive. from some of your terminology i take it you hava never suffered from this illness. explain your situation a bit more, give examples to help us understand what you and him/her are going through.
  • Options
    Soph001Soph001 Posts: 105 The Mix Convert
    Hi,

This is something that a number of people on these boards have been through before, so there is a lot of expertise and experience floating about. But it might help us advise you if we knew little more about your partner?s situation ? how long have things been this way and what have you already tried to do about it?

Depression Alliance will help you find some local support in your area, as it sounds like you need a bit of a break from your partner?s problems. Maybe if a professional is helping with the mental health side of things, you two can focus on your relationship?

Good luck and I hope everything starts working out for you soon.
  • Options
    Illness including depression isn't meant to be exciting and fun.
  • Options
    what about trying this?

Counselling can help you get to grips with the root of your depression. Your doctor can recommend a psychotherapist or self-help group.

this comes from this site ....there is more information there to if you need to find help.

Why does he drink too much.