Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Low impact gym-ing.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guysss,

So, I have my membership at the gym but I haven't been yet because since I did the half-marathon a few weeks ago I have still got a problem with my left knee. Basically I overdid it and did my knee in and it still hurts when I walk for longer than about 10-15 minutes. Now, this isn't really a big problem at the moment but it's meant that I'm a bit wary about going to the gym in case I do more damage. But I'm getting podgy again (I've hit 13st for the first time in my life and that, apparently, is bordering on overweight for my height - my BMI is now 24.7), and I feel HUGE.

I am gonna go and get a fitness assessment on Friday but they cost money that I don't really have, so I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions of stuff that would reduce the impact on my knee but still be good for weight loss. I want to lose about 2 and a half stone (which I KNOW I can get to, because I have been that weight before at this height and felt fine) so the sooner I can start doing this properly the better really.

TIA :)

Comments

• Options
    cross trainer is very low impact (as its basicly jogging without hitting the floor) cycling is also good as well as a rowing machine.

Pretty much anything that does not involve putting all your weight onto 1 joint, also avoid using the thigh press because that will also mangle your knee up a lot.

Remember to stretch your knee especially before you use it, grab it and pull your foot to your bum and hold it for 10 seconds.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Swim, tbh. It's the ultimate in low impact, and it's great all-round exercise.

:yes:
  • Options
    It also costs more money and I'm sure I've already mentioned to you my lack of a swimsuit :p, particularly when I'm feeling podgy :(.
  • Options
    It does cost a bit, but it's not megabucks, and it's really, really good for your joints. Is it not included in your gym membership? If not, cancel it, and use the money you've saved yourself to buy a cossie and pay for swim sessions.

Podgyness? Pah. You will not be the biggest person there, not by a long shot, and everyone will be too busy thinking 'omg, i look awful' to even consider if you look awful or not. Or go on ladies night if there is one. All the 30 stone 100-year-olds will make you feel pretty damn young and hot :p
  • Options
    Uni gym doesn't have a pool, unfortunately. And it's a one-off payment so cancelling saves me nothing.

I'll have a google for the nearest pool and buy a cheapy swimsuit when I can (I do have a bikini at uni, but while I'm aware nobody will notice it, I still have a fairly obvious sh scar on my stomach which I don't fancy showing off) and try and convince Rach to come with me :p.
  • Options
    Hmm I cant swim! But I'll go show off my wobbly bits for moral support :p
  • Options
    WHAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?!?!

I'll teach you :p.
  • Options
    I have no swimming costuuuuuuuuume!

:nervous:
  • Options
    Soccer World. I got a nice speedo training one there for £5.99. They've got lots of standard swimsuits all lovely and cheap.
  • Options
    Aqua aerobics would be a good one especially if your not a confident swimmer (they might even do day sessions)
  • Options
    I have no swimming costuuuuuuuuume!

:nervous:

im in my early twenties and until this year, i couldn't swim. i took swimming lessons this year. not too expensive either. mine were about £6 each a week which is only twice as much as a session at the pool anyway. i was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to learn. however, if like me, you are a bit scared of the water and a little embarassed that you can't swim, i'd have lessons rather than letting someone you know teach you to swim. ive had people who know me try to teach me before but it didn't work as i felt stupid. whilst in a lesson with other people who couldn't swim, i felt better. they teach you the very basics first as well.

sorry. derailed thread a bit.

i'd recommend them anyway :)
  • Options
    Doesn't matter anyway - closest swimming pool is 8 miles away. There apparently isn't one in Canterbury.
  • Options
    having had my fair share of knee injuries (mostly due to alcohol related incidents-the last one had me in physio for 10 weeks), probably would say the best thing would be cycling-do say 5 minutes as high as you dare, and then 10 minutes on a lower setting, and gradually alter the ratio each time-found that this really worked as I'm climbing fit again! Also, really light rowing helps :D