Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The stupidity of gun laws in America

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There's no legitimate reason for private citizens to own armed fighter jets or nuclear bombs. There are not, for example, criminals running around the UK with nukes and fighter jets, not are they hunting with them, or using them for target practice.

The 'principle' is not important, the specifics are. You may feel comfortable painting your world view with such a wide brush but I'm not hence I disagree.

I'll further add that there's no reason that it should be important for anyone to choose what clothes they wear, if someone did it for me I wouldn't suffer cold or the embarrassment of walking around naked. There's also no reason why I need to choose what GP I visit besides me merely wanting a choice. The fact someone LIKES to do something and it doesn't impact anyone else's life too negatively is enough to grant freedoms.

How does disallowing private individuals to own guns have a negative impact? It's pretty obvious to anyone that criminals who use guns in a negative way have no problem getting a hold of them; the only people penalised are those who would want to go through the proper channels and own a gun responsibly.
    And for good reason. Gun ownership makes people less safe; not more. Just because criminals sometimes tool up does not mean it's okay for everyone else to do so.

Of course, if people here were allowed to own guns then you could guarantee that 100% of burglars, robbers, muggers and most other criminals would carry guns- as opposed to now, when very few actually do.

I still fail to see any negative impact on people's lives by banning ownership of guns- let alone on their 'personal freedom'.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    And for good reason. Gun ownership makes people less safe; not more. Just because criminals sometimes tool up does not mean it's okay for everyone else to do so.

No, it makes them more safe; not less. People cannot rely on the state to protect them, they're not omnipresent.
    Of course, if people here were allowed to own guns then you could guarantee that 100% of burglars, robbers, muggers and most other criminals would carry guns- as opposed to now, when very few actually do.

Doubtful. Allowing legal ownership of guns makes mugging etc. a considerably riskier business. Especially considering that practically anyone you choose to victimise has the exact same means of defending themselves, unlike now.
    I still fail to see any negative impact on people's lives by banning ownership of guns- let alone on their 'personal freedom'.

I don't.
  • Options
    No, it makes them more safe; not less. People cannot rely on the state to protect them, they're not omnipresent.
    In practice they're not however. They're more likely to get shot by the criminal in most cases.

Figures from America certainly don't suggest people are any safer because of it.

And that's before you factor disgruntled workers/ people with a developing mental condition who one day flip and take out a few people. In this country, most of such people resort to assaulting others or at worst using the likes of a baseball bat or a knife, which while quite dangerous turns out to be not nearly as effective killing weapon.

Doubtful. Allowing legal ownership of guns makes mugging etc. a considerably riskier business. Especially considering that practically anyone you choose to victimise has the exact same means of defending themselves, unlike now.
    Unless the mugger in question offers their potential victim to draw at the count of three, a gun will do the victim no good. Muggers will come up to them weapon already in hand. Most people who attempt to get their own gun out will most likely get shot for their efforts.

Exactly what happens here to those people who are no criminals but decide to start to carry a knife for personal defence, incidentally.
  • Options
    Sometimes you get the feeling that the liberal legislation surrounding gun-ownership in the U.S. is derived from the fact that you can solve almost every problem with just enough gun power.

Mother in law being a pain? Check out the weaponry's wide selection of flame throwers...
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    I dont think that he is suggesting we give up having an army. My history isnt perfect but I dont think our freedoms have ever been protected by an 8 year old with an uzi.

I think, in a round about kind of way he was, by suggesting more has been solved through diplomacy e.t.c.

Whatever, maybe he wasn't and I misread, I'm not advocating young children getting their hands on uzi's either lol!
  • Options
    T-Kay wrote: »
    Sometimes you get the feeling that the liberal legislation surrounding gun-ownership in the U.S. is derived from the fact that you can solve almost every problem with just enough gun power.

Mother in law being a pain? Check out the weaponry's wide selection of flame throwers...

I think that says more about your attitude towards the US, than it does about the US
  • Options
    When handguns were banned in the uk there was very little change in number of crimes involving handguns. at the end of the day if someone wants to do something enough they probably will end up doing it. im sure if wanted a hand gun, i could probably get one, it might not be easy but im sure i could get one if i really tried. i think changing the law in america due to some fuck wit parents is a bit unneccesasay. its getting to a stage where if something isnt against the law then its perfectly safe. the goverment and law needs to play a much smaller part in everyday life before people begin to forget the meaning of the words 'common sence' 'risk' and 'danger'. its like our ridiculous health and safety laws over here, all be it on a different scale, the next generation of adults physically arent going to understand risk if something isnt done soon.
  • Options
    I think that says more about your attitude towards the US, than it does about the US

Well, then irony doesn't exactly appear to be your best skill.

While my initial post was an exaggeration, it still describes the opinion of many "pro-weaponry" groups/organisations in the U.S. When people may buy fully automated weapons in some states for the purpose of "home defense" that says a lot of the mentality of the government in those states. If it was up to societies like the NRA, everyone would be allowed to purchase landmines over the desk...

In a period between 2002-2004, all sales involving automatic weapons were forbidden, leading to a decrease in crime involving the same type of weapons. When they lifted the prohibition, the number of crimes rose to the same level as before. (I read the relevant articles in Norwegian, so no use to post them here unfortunately). I think the numbers speak for themselves.
  • Options
    Well, then irony doesn't exactly appear to be your best skill.

While my initial post was an exaggeration, it still describes the opinion of many "pro-weaponry" groups/organisations in the U.S. When people may buy fully automated weapons in some states for the purpose of "home defense" that says a lot of the mentality of the government in those states. If it was up to societies like the NRA, everyone would be allowed to purchase landmines over the desk...

In a period between 2002-2004, all sales involving automatic weapons were forbidden, leading to a decrease in crime involving the same type of weapons. When they lifted the prohibition, the number of crimes rose to the same level as before. (I read the relevant articles in Norwegian, so no use to post them here unfortunately). I think the numbers speak for themselves.

That's not what you said though; or anything like it in fact.
  • Options
    That's not what you said though; or anything like it in fact.

Well, then you got me wrong. NRA clearly believes that you can defend yourself given enough firepower imo, i.e. the "solving problems" statement, which I admit was a bit too vague. But do you have any arguments pro/con in the debate instead of trying to twist my opinion?
  • Options
    Well, then you got me wrong. NRA clearly believes that you can defend yourself given enough firepower imo, i.e. the "solving problems" statement, which I admit was a bit too vague. But do you have any arguments pro/con in the debate instead of trying to twist my opinion?

I'm not trying to twist your opinion - you said something which even you admit is way to vague and actually seemed like trying to twist the opinions of gunowners to say they think it 'can solve almost any problem' and then witter on about mothers-in-law.

if you meant to say that gun ownership brigade think gun ownership is useful to protect against crime or because they don't trust the state you should have just said so...
  • Options
    I'm not trying to twist your opinion - you said something which even you admit is way to vague and actually seemed like trying to twist the opinions of gunowners to say they think it 'can solve almost any problem' and then witter on about mothers-in-law.
    And your point being? You know, even if you read my post with a total absence of humour, it would be more constructive if you focused on the debate.
    if you meant to say that gun ownership brigade think gun ownership is useful to protect against crime or because they don't trust the state you should have just said so...

I did post an argument where I think societies like the NRA (The national rifle associatoin) in the U.S. do actually believe that people will be able to protect themselves given that they have the right to purchase almost any (up to an extent) weapon. If you read some pages related to the NRA online, you'll see a range of varous arguments they set forth in order to keep those rights. I also posted an argument where I explained that crime rates involving automatic weapons were closely related to the availability of the exact same types of weapons, which is an argument against liberal weapon legislation.
  • Options
    It would work if guns were used responsible and given to people who would use them responsibly. Giving a loaded SMG to an eight year old is just completely retarded though.
  • Options
    If an ordinary (or thought as being ordinary) law abiding citizen in the UK 'loses' it on day after being fired/dumped/having a massive row with the neighbours, he might get shitfaced, or start a fight, or at worst grab a knife from the kitchen and attempt to stab somebody.

If a similar person in the US experiences the same breakdown and they have a gun at home, as countless law abiding citizens do, they will as likely as not shoot a number of people dead.

Nothing is gained from individuals owning guns. Nothing.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote: »
    It would work if guns were used responsible and given to people who would use them responsibly. Giving a loaded SMG to an eight year old is just completely retarded though.
    I'm sure some adults have a similar amount of common sense as some eight year olds.
  • Options
    If an ordinary (or thought as being ordinary) law abiding citizen in the UK 'loses' it on day after being fired/dumped/having a massive row with the neighbours, he might get shitfaced, or start a fight, or at worst grab a knife from the kitchen and attempt to stab somebody.

If a similar person in the US experiences the same breakdown and they have a gun at home, as countless law abiding citizens do, they will as likely as not shoot a number of people dead.

Nothing is gained from individuals owning guns. Nothing.

Fair point to be honest althou your not addressing the issue of if someone wants a gun to cause a pre-meditated attack dont you think someone should have the right to defend themselves. im not sure how i feel about gun laws and the issue of attack, my last post was more to do with gun accidents which i do not think is a good reason to ban guns.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote: »

Perhaps, but there's really now way to be completely sure that the person being allowed to purchase a weapon is responsible. Yes, he/she might have no criminal record, a "history of good behaviour" etc, but that's not enough to determine if that person is suited to handle a weapon, let alone fully automated weapons. Also, even if a person is suited enough, you can't be assured that no one else will ever have access to the weapon.
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7694560.stm

No driving until 16. No sex until 18 (if one really must do it at all before getting married, evil thing as it is :rolleyes: ). No drinking until 21.

But please children, help yourself to a weapon, and an automatic one at that. Nothing wrong with that at all. It's what makes America the only truly free country in the world, at the end of the day. You betcha!

How fucked up things are in that country...

The mind fucking boggles.

First of all, I just have to say that it's not "no sex until 18"; it's no one over 18 has sex with anyone under 18. As in, if you're 30 years old, it is NOT ok for you to scrumph a 12 year old.

I'm not saying that it's acceptable that this man allowed an 8 year old shoot an Uzi, but I don't think that it's wrong for children to shoot guns. OBVIOUSLY the where, who, and what is important but let's say there is a 10 year old boy who goes up north with his father to go hunting. I don't think that's really so bad.
  • Options
    Uzis make me angry because for me they symbolise in some sense Israel's murderous streak. But I've probably just been brainwashed by the pro islamic media that is so prevalent in the UK and the US :/.

It's hypocritical that I think the SA80 is great because british soldiers use it then, because both are killing weapons. But obviously one is much better at schoolyard shootings, being able to fit a fully automatic weapon in your coat pocket is a bad recipe.

I'm going to do a namaste on this one and ask - why do we need guns at all? It's all just stupid.
  • Options
    If an ordinary law abiding citizen in the UK 'loses' it on day after being fired/dumped/having a massive row with the neighbours, he might get shitfaced, or start a fight, or at worst grab a knife from the kitchen and attempt to stab somebody.

So it's better to kill one person with a knife than a whole bunch of people with a gun? You're gonna have to do better than that if you want to persuade me, Aladdin...
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    So it's better to kill one person with a knife than a whole bunch of people with a gun? You're gonna have to do better than that if you want to persuade me, Aladdin...

Well on a strictly utilitarian argument, the answer would be 'yes' wouldn't it?
  • Options
    Well you just came up with a pretty good reason yourself. A gun is capable of inflicting greater damage to greater amounts of people much easier. And that is why it should not be in the hands of members of the public.

Incidentally that principle is used by everybody- including the US- to determine what weapons should be restricted or banned altogether. The only difference is where do different countries draw the line of what is acceptable.
  • Options

How many people can a deranged person kill with a knife before someone takes him to the floor and disarms him......? 1, 2 perhaps?

How many people can a deranged person kill with an automatic weapon before being disarmed.....? 20, 30?

It would take someone with a stick to disarm someone with a knife, what if they have an Uzi?
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    How many people can a deranged person kill with a knife before someone takes him to the floor and disarms him......? 1, 2 perhaps?

How many people can a deranged person kill with an automatic weapon before being disarmed.....? 20, 30?

It would take someone with a stick to disarm someone with a knife, what if they have an Uzi?

:yes:

There's a reason why the bayonet's main use is opening tins and why we equip the infantry with rifles
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I'm going to do a namaste on this one and ask - why do we need guns at all? It's all just stupid.

Because they are fun.
  • Options
    So are shoulder-launched laser guided missiles. Or explosives.
  • Options
    So are shoulder-launched laser guided missiles. Or explosives.

Frankly, much more fun imho. Bloody MoD wouldn't let us play with them as much though :crying:

ETA GPMGs and Warrior's 30mm cannon are also damn good fun. As are artillery demos as long as you're far enough away to properly appreciate
  • Options
    Hate to break it to you folks, but this 'lone nut case taking out 50 people at the local Sup 'n' Strut with an automatic weapon' scenario isn't at all realistic.
  • Options
    Hate to break it to you folks, but this 'lone nut case taking out 50 people at the local Sup 'n' Strut with an automatic weapon' scenario isn't at all realistic.
    50 is an impossibly high number, but judging by the news that reach the UK, a lone nut case taking 3, 5, 8 people at a mall or an office in the US is not exactly unheard of. The same person with a knife wouldn't get reach such tallies 9 times out of 10; they'd be overpowered well before that. Indeed, the lack of a gun will in itself be a deterrent for a few would be nutjobs who might be less inclined to attempt a rampage with just a knife.