Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

If the human race were wiped out tomorrow...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I mean the world would just go on without us and less species would likely become extinct so soon. You could argue that with the damage we have caused our environment... It may even be beneficial for the planet to lose its most destructive species.

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    i agree, although id be sad to die
  • Options
    I would be sad to die as well but I do see what you mean.
  • Options
    I remember seeing this interesting diagram of what might happen if humans disappeared suddenly :

0,,351113,00.jpg
  • Options
    On the bright side, Earth will be the subject of a cautionary tale on another planet somewhere, with an alien resembling Tom Hanks playing the lead role ;)
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    I remember seeing this interesting diagram of what might happen if humans disappeared suddenly :

0,,351113,00.jpg

'Mass contamination from un-maintained nuclear reactors' is suspiciously absent.
  • Options
    cartman.jpg
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    I mean the world would just go on without us and less species would likely become extinct so soon. You could argue that with the damage we have caused our environment... It may even be beneficial for the planet to lose its most destructive species.

What do you think?

I wouldnt have to get up for work for a start.
  • Options
    I don't think the human race could be entirely wiped out. Civilisation as we know it? Certainly. But people would find a way.
  • Options
    haven't read the thread, but yes, if there were no other people by tomorrow I would have sex with a porcupine, or even a budgie eventually.
  • Options
    i agree, although id be sad to die

How could you be sad if you were dead?
  • Options
    Without humans there would be no one to measure and to inspect.
    No one to explore and wonder.
    No one to gaze up at the stars and see the beauty.
    There wouldn't be much point to the universe without an intelligence to appreciate it.
    I have a hangover ....

I'm convinced that 99% of the people of this world want nothing more than peace and security, so when we figure how to get rid of the 1% who cause all the death and destruction ...we'll be just fine.
    A start would be the removal of the banks issuing debt based money.
    If America got rid of the banking families who produce every dollar as debt ...and the money was minted and issued by the government debt free to itself ...as the constitution actually states it should be ...most of the worlds ills would be gone at the stroke of a pen.
  • Options
    When I look at the shit going on in the world and the utter contempt the human race has for the very things that keep it alive, sometimes I feel these people have a point...

http://www.vhemt.org/
  • Options

What do you think?

Call me biased but I wouldn't think it would be the best thing. Whilst we might not exactly be benefiting the world right now it is only through experience and advancement that we learn and with us humans being hooked up with the means to think and to create I think it'd be a very big waste.
  • Options
    Maybe so but there's no way in the world that anyone can advocate the destruction of the human race. People like you Namaste care so much, why should they have to die for the mistakes made by a tiny minority?
  • Options
    Some species would no doubt immediately benefit from humans' departure. However there are many endangered species maintained by people that would perish without our help. Removal of humans' would solve some problems for the planet and create others.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Maybe so but there's no way in the world that anyone can advocate the destruction of the human race. People like you Namaste care so much, why should they have to die for the mistakes made by a tiny minority?
    I'm not advocating the killing of anything... Never have and never will.

I think that it is an interesting thing to ponder.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    When I look at the shit going on in the world and the utter contempt the human race has for the very things that keep it alive, sometimes I feel these people have a point...

http://www.vhemt.org/

It's possible something even worse than humankind could evolve.
  • Options
    'Mass contamination from un-maintained nuclear reactors' is suspiciously absent.

I don't think it was a scientific paper - just an easy-to-understand illustration. :)

Do nuclear reactors have an inbuilt security that shuts itself down in the event of prolonged power outages etc? Probably.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I've thought the same thing time and again, multiple times.

To be honest, if someone offered me a magic button and said "Press it, and all humans die instantly", I can't say I definitely wouldn't.
  • Options
    You could argue that with the damage we have caused our environment... It may even be beneficial for the planet to lose its most destructive species.
    This has got to be one of the most retarded comments that I've ever read, and there's no shortage of competition. I sure as hell don't want to die in a blazing inferno, do you?
  • Options
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    This has got to be one of the most retarded comments that I've ever read, and there's no shortage of competition. I sure as hell don't want to die in a blazing inferno, do you?
    Read what I wrote.

I never condone violence... To human beings or towards non human animals (unless for survival, but that's another debate), but I don't see the harm in questioning what would happen if human beings disappeared, or comparing it to if say... Another species disappeared.

Human beings have caused more environmental damage than any other species in this era. I'm not saying "kill them all" (as pessimistic as I am about the human race), that would just be stupid.

What makes one species more special than the thousands, if not millions of species it will potentially make extinct within the next few decades?
  • Options
    What makes one species more special than the thousands, if not millions of species it will potentially make extinct within the next few decades?

Because animals are greedy?
  • Options
    Call me selfish, but I couldn't care less about it unless I'm here to observe it.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Because animals are greedy?

Human animals aren't?
  • Options

We're part of it.
  • Options
    Human animals aren't?

:confused:
  • Options
    No animal would ever consider extincting itself to make it's environment a better place. Survival of the dumbest. I can almost hear Darwin's silent tears.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    This has got to be one of the most retarded comments that I've ever read, and there's no shortage of competition.

Yeah, mostly because of the constant stream of fuck-wittery you spew onto the internet.

Is there a reason why you are trying to squeeze the deeply unpleasant word 'retard' into every post?
  • Options
    Yeah, mostly because of the constant stream of fuck-wittery you spew onto the internet.

Is there a reason why you are trying to squeeze the deeply unpleasant word 'retard' into every post?

I'm glad someone said something :)