Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Web Design

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys

I really need some help, basically i have just started a course in Web Design called Dreamweaver, i am loving it and finding it really interesting and am completely down with the whole creative stuff however when it comes to the more technical stuff i am a bit confused....?? We are still at the beginning of the course and the reason i went on the course is to set up our Company Website so i need to know how to upload my Website onto the Web. Ok so i have obviously sorted out the Domain Name and have purchased a CPanel with Zen as this is our service provider and i have done the whole FTP thing which when tested all works fine, however when i try to preview my dreamweaver pages in the browser an error message keeps coming up - 404?? Am i right to believe that i have to add the files i am uploading into my CPanel as well...Sorry if i sound like a complete idiot but this is all new to me!! If someone could explain the whole process step by step i would be sooooooo grateful as my head is spinning at the mo and i am sort of teaching myself, well trying too! lol

For now i just want to put a page saying Website in Construction.

Any replies would be helpful!

Thanking anyone out there in advance! :)

XXXXXXX

Comments

• Options
    From our techies, not sure if it's any help - gruff as ever -

it's probably either that:

1. the uploaded files aren't going where he/she thinks
    2. the domain name isn't forwarding to the service provider's IP address.

I wouldn't be able to give a useful answer, as I don't know the details of the ISP or how the control panel works.

he / she would be best contacting the customer services of the ISP.
  • Options
    Oh and here's Zen's webhosting FAQ

http://www.zen.co.uk/Hosting/Hosting/web-hosting-faqs.aspx

not sure if that helps
  • Options
    404 message pop up when you are trying to access a page which is not there (on your web site or you can say, you have not uploaded that page using ftp client to your webhosting machine). In order to upload those files you need ftp client e.g; filezilla, and i think Dreamweaver also have a built in client.

If you need some more into please pm me, thanks.
  • Options
    emm make sure you're uploading it to the web folder!

and the page should be index.html (if its just a temporary page) and check extensions sometimes it'll save as .htm instead of .html and not load properly when putting the link in
  • Options
    usually there's a folder called htdocs or public_html inside the ftp server, make sure the files are going there :)
  • Options
    your homepage should be index.html
  • Options
    Hey guys, thank you all so much for your replies! I think i am sort of getting my head around it now and have a temporary page set up! Ill be sure to email you if i have any more problems.

Thank you XX