Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

going for the same job

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Say somebody tells you about a job that would be right for you, but then you find a friend who is going for the same thing...

But your friend wants to get back to work after a long time of illness... So even though they knew you were applying for it, they did too.

Would it be right to step down?

I know I would be really good for this job (as I have the energy and passion and it is working with people who have disabilities) and it is one of the few things I would stay in London for, but she seems really happy she's found it and has asked if I would feel bad if she went for it, so I am stepping down.

Is this being too nice? A guy I spoke to at a not for profit careers day said you need to be selfish in the work place, but tbh, it isn't in my nature.

Comments

• Options
    Who do you think is best for the job? That's the main question. The job is helping out folk with disabilities. If she got this job instead of you, would she not be as good at it? If you think she wouldn't be as good, you should go for it. If you don't care either way, it's best not to apply, same as if you think she is better than you for it.
  • Options
    To be honest, just go for it and let the panel of interviewers decide on whom they think is best for the role.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    BritJamez wrote: »
    To be honest, just go for it and let the panel of interviewers decide on whom they think is best for the role.

:yes: Just because you're not going for it doesn't mean she will automatically get it - imagine how you'll feel if you step down and then she doesn't get it anyway? It's not selfish to go for the job and actually probably good interview experience for you too.
  • Options
    Yeah I would say go for it anyway; if you get it over your friend then you can decide whether to take it or not, but as has been said, there are no guarantees your friend will get it just because you don't go for it, so the experience might be useful and and at least you will know you tried!