Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Giving money to strangers

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    In Africa you're told NOT to give money to young boys as they often use the money to buy glue to sniff.

The last time some African boys asked me I gave the money instead to a corn on the cob seller next to them and told him to feed them.

That way we knew the money was going to the boys in a useful way to help feed them.
  • Options
    WLH wrote: »
    Some of us aren't that rich ourselves, besides it is our money, we're not the council. I wouldn't ever regard someone who's genuinely homeless as a scumbag. If they were pretending to be, I would.

mate im anything but rich myself but whats some change in your pocket if you have it!!
  • Options
    z- wrote: »
    mate im anything but rich myself but whats some change in your pocket if you have it!!

I still don't think that you should be obliged to give it away just like that. At the end of the day, it is your money.

<I am sure that many people on the street are aware that services (or lack thereof) already exist. Just because you're on the street does not make them ignorant... Many are probably more aware than most people and have possibly been rehomed, but then let down by a lack of other kinds of support and ended up sleeping rough again.>

Do you think they would accuse someone of busybodying them if they made it clear that their situation isn't acceptable and tried to find them a shelter or would this be more likely to be considered useful? Either way I still think that something like that is more useful than giving someone money.
  • Options
    im not saying anyones obliged to give away fuck all

btw theres a quote button incase you havent realised :wave:
  • Options
    z- wrote: »
    im not saying anyones obliged to give away fuck all

btw theres a quote button incase you havent realised :wave:

I've already used it.

It's just that you seemed to suggest that it's not a good idea not to give your money away, that's all.
  • Options
    lol fair enough didnt mean it to come across like that :thumb:
  • Options
    I rarely give money to people who ask for it, because I normally only have enough for the bus. If I do have money I'll buy people food and a drink, but that's only happened a few times. I don't know what I should do, because even though it's important to do what you can for people who need help at that point, you're not really helping them in the long term. I've heard that homeless people are only helped when they become addicts, which would make the problem worse.
    I wouldn't say it's someone's own fault if they're homeless, but I don't think people should be pressured into giving money. It's really something the government should have dealt with a long time ago, but homeless people can't vote so why should the government care about them?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I've made a deal with myself: I never give any money to the ones who ask vocally in any way, but I (almost) always do to the quiet ones.
  • Options
    I rarely give money to people who ask for it, because I normally only have enough for the bus. If I do have money I'll buy people food and a drink, but that's only happened a few times. I don't know what I should do, because even though it's important to do what you can for people who need help at that point, you're not really helping them in the long term. I've heard that homeless people are only helped when they become addicts, which would make the problem worse.
    I wouldn't say it's someone's own fault if they're homeless, but I don't think people should be pressured into giving money. It's really something the government should have dealt with a long time ago, but homeless people can't vote so why should the government care about them?

I'm not the most politically aware person on the planet, but I would have thought the government had some kind of duty to do something about homelessness, and if not, then at least the local council.

As far as I know, there isn't any kind of team which goes round the streets trying to find people a home. It seems to be a self-help kind of system.
    lol fair enough didnt mean it to come across like that

No worries :)
    I've made a deal with myself: I never give any money to the ones who ask vocally in any way, but I (almost) always do to the quiet ones.

Ah, but supposing you met 2 people vocally asking for money, then... 50 people quietly asking for money, all in the same day. What would you do then?
  • Options
    Ah, but supposing you met 2 people vocally asking for money, then... 50 people quietly asking for money, all in the same day. What would you do then?
    That's never happened so far, I guess I should reword my "rule".
    I think I'd just give to one or two of the quiet ones.
  • Options
    That seems very worrying, especially as quite a few people seem to think that homelessness is some kind of choice. :(

In that case, I don't think donating money is really the answer. It may be useful in the short-term, but ultimately people need empowerment not help. The main problem is that shelters can't seem to accomodate everyone at once.

Do you think it would be a good idea to build more shelters?

Giving them change is not necessarily about helping them out of their homelessness. It's about immediate relief. Its to show that people care. No, its not always constructive but to show some empathy can go a long way.
    Have you never had a shitty day, someone random smile or crack a joke at you, which made everything seem that bit better? It's the same here.

Also, for people who beg when they 'don't have to', clearly they have a problem. A normal person wouldn't go around doing so. It's worth keeping in mind.
  • Options
    That's never happened so far, I guess I should reword my "rule".
    I think I'd just give to one or two of the quiet ones.

Ah, but then you'd be discriminating against the other 48 of them! (Though not so directly if you give to the first one or two who approach you).

<Giving them change is not necessarily about helping them out of their homelessness. It's about immediate relief. Its to show that people care. No, its not always constructive but to show some empathy can go a long way.
    Have you never had a shitty day, someone random smile or crack a joke at you, which made everything seem that bit better? It's the same here.

I don't remember, but I can understand what you mean there.

<Also, for people who beg when they 'don't have to', clearly they have a problem. A normal person wouldn't go around doing so. It's worth keeping in mind.>

They might be trying to make some easy money. Very dishonest, but I'm sure people do. It's just, how do you tell?

Actually I do remember a Big Issue seller telling me that he lives in rented accommodation, which seems a bit suspect, though I think vulnerably housed people are also allowed to sell the magazine.
  • Options
    Ah, but then you'd be discriminating against the other 48 of them! (Though not so directly if you give to the first one or two who approach you).
    Discriminating how? I don't think they're less worthy of it in any way. I just can't give to absolutely everyone or I'd be losing a lot. If I could predict how many I'd come across at the beginning I'd pick which ones to give at random, but as I can't it's a matter of luck.
  • Options
    i think the reason behind it is the same - they need the money and need the help. So the ticket thing is a bit of scam but they do it because it obviously works, and it wors because people are more likely to give them money if they think they know how it's going to be spent.
  • Options
    PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    I wrote about this a bit in the fact sheet Helping the homeless - apparently you aren't advised to give money directly to homeless people as it could well go on drink/drugs and many of the people homeless are given the chance of staying somewhere for the night, it's just that they choose not too. It's a tricky one...

I was at the airport recently and scrabbling around for a spare euro before boarding a flight to get a bottle of water and this man who could see me getting in a bit of a panic (I can't fly without water as I get scared!) gave me a euro so I could get a drink and refused to take a pound coin off me, :-) And then recently someone lent me their mobile phone to call an 0845 number when my cash card got stuck in a machine, so because of this I know how much I appreciated the help and will always try and do the same back, but yeah with limits, a lady on the train begging with her baby strapped onto her today I didn't give money to, it feels awful though when you don't and you want to...
  • Options
    That happened to me once. I was at the bus stop and someone with a baby asked for money to get the bus home. I didn't have any so I couldn't help and felt horrible but the next day she was there doing the same thing again. She was their almost every day for months. Things like that are not the same as giving someone a euro to buy water or letting them use your phone, because in those situations you know that you're helping. If you give money to someone who uses it for drugs, which I'm not saying will happen but it's possible, you're making the problem worse.
  • Options
    Discriminating how? I don't think they're less worthy of it in any way. I just can't give to absolutely everyone or I'd be losing a lot. If I could predict how many I'd come across at the beginning I'd pick which ones to give at random, but as I can't it's a matter of luck.

Granted. I'm basically just testing you. Not sure how you choose at random though?
  • Options
    Granted. I'm basically just testing you. Not sure how you choose at random though?
    I said I would pick at random, if I knew how many I'd come across. I'd just say at the beginning of the day "Hm, ok, the 3rd and the 24th".
  • Options
    Do you think they would accuse someone of busybodying them if they made it clear that their situation isn't acceptable and tried to find them a shelter or would this be more likely to be considered useful? Either way I still think that something like that is more useful than giving someone money.
    I don't understand what you mean by "they".

People on the street come from all different backgrounds.

There's an interesting article in the Big Issue this week regarding people on the street and hostels and why so many people end up back on the street again. This included the fact that a lot of hostels have aggressive staff and provide inadequet support, as many people have mental health and drug issues.

A lot of people apparently have also reported that the hostel staff can be quite horrible, or pushy. It critiqued the one size fits all approach towards people on the street.

Some people on the street might feel quite patronised if you offered to find them shelter. There are case workers on it and anybody who didn't want to be sleeping rough would surely have took the initiative already to have a look at what's out there.

If I have a spare beer, or a spare quid I don't have an issue giving it away. I know from growing up how harsh it is living in a house when you can't afford heating... I cannot imagine how cold some people must get on the street.
  • Options
    I said I would pick at random, if I knew how many I'd come across. I'd just say at the beginning of the day "Hm, ok, the 3rd and the 24th".

I totally accepted that you would choose at random. I was curious as to how you would choose at random.

That is a mysterious way of choosing!
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    I don't understand what you mean by "they".

People on the street come from all different backgrounds.

There's an interesting article in the Big Issue this week regarding people on the street and hostels and why so many people end up back on the street again. This included the fact that a lot of hostels have aggressive staff and provide inadequet support, as many people have mental health and drug issues.

A lot of people apparently have also reported that the hostel staff can be quite horrible, or pushy. It critiqued the one size fits all approach towards people on the street.

Some people on the street might feel quite patronised if you offered to find them shelter. There are case workers on it and anybody who didn't want to be sleeping rough would surely have took the initiative already to have a look at what's out there.

If I have a spare beer, or a spare quid I don't have an issue giving it away. I know from growing up how harsh it is living in a house when you can't afford heating... I cannot imagine how cold some people must get on the street.

Maybe "they" is not the right word. I guess you've answered the question but still not sure whether to give money or not. The trouble is I don't regard a quid as nothing and I don't want to start being expected to donate money which could happen if I got into the habit. It's much the same with the charities in the newspaper - it's not feasible to give to all of them so you need to find a way to concentrate your efforts.

Also the fact that some people might find help patronising makes the issue more complicated.
  • Options
    Also the fact that some people might find help patronising makes the issue more complicated.

I don't think that help is patronising... I think that assuming that people on the streets just don't know about the services out there to help them is patronising.

Many people will have been in and out of several hostels already.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote: »
    A normal person wouldn't go around doing so. It's worth keeping in mind.

Not really. I've seen and read many investigations regarding people begging. They sit and ask for money all day long and then go back to their $60k suv and go back home. I'm definatly not saying that most, or even a relativly small percentage of those doing it are this type of person. But "normal" people would and do do it.
  • Options
    If I have money in my pocket I wil give them it because all they're crying out for is some help, money is a comfort but overall they continue to cry in the dark.

spare_change.jpg
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    I don't think that help is patronising... I think that assuming that people on the streets just don't know about the services out there to help them is patronising.

Many people will have been in and out of several hostels already.

Ok, I'll bear that in mind.