Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Having surgery. Flu jab?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm having an operation in January.

I was diagnosed with asthma earlier this year, and it seems to be worse recently; I think possibly because of the cold weather.
Someone I was talking to asked me if I'd thought about getting the flu jab this year:
a) because of the asthma and the fact that I get chest infections, and
b) because I'm having surgery and it might be an idea to be a little more proctected before going into hospital/so I don't end up missing my surgery slot because I'm ill.

Anyone know if a doctor would be likely to think it would be a good idea for me to have the flu jab? I've only ever really heard of elderly people getting it and people who work in healthcare so I don't really know who else is elligable for it.

Comments

• Options
    When I went to the nurse to get a new inhaler she caught me off guard with it and stuck my arm when I wasn't paying attention.... So, yes, in my experience the NUS will give it willingly to asthmatics!
  • Options
    Ever since I was little I've been told I should get the flu shot cuz I'm an asthmatic and every year I do. I don't know any better so I go with it ;). Plus, why the hell not, the flu is a nasty little thing.
  • Options
    Yes if you ask your Dr you should be able to have it especially with having asthma.
  • Options
    Having Asthma you probably fall into one of the groups in need. I have an under active thyroid and get one when i go as i fall into group 2.
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    yup it does - most asthmatics get a letter sent offering it yearly afaik

:yes:

I only have really mild asthma and I get it :)
  • Options
    I got mine the other day, I'm asthmatic and have a low immune system just now due to all the infections I've had in under a year and my parents have been advised to get it too to give me the most protection possible.
    My arms are still dead, I got 4 injections at once! they weren't sore tho!
  • Options
    Definatly ask about having one. I had one a couple of years ago, I had a very bad chest infection in the summer that buggered my asthma up for a few months aftwards and I didnt fancy getting flu on top of that.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Olive wrote: »
    :yes:

I only have really mild asthma and I get it :)

me too - you should definately be eligible, you should book an appointment and ask while you are there.
  • Options
    Well I'm planning on making an appointment to see my GP... however ended up at the emergancy doctors this weekend cos I've got an ear and eye infection... so maybe wait until they've cleared up a bit.