Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Why we should get wireless in schools...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay, part of my task to be the most annoying student ever for my network manager, is to write up a nice long '6TH FORM - WIRELESS PROPOSAL'

I would like your views and comments on the following below so I can type up a big document, Submit it to the Head-teacher, and head of 6th form and him! :angel:

- Why would you want wireless?

- What would wireless do for the 6th form area?

- How does it help students?

- What sort of access could be given to students?

- How can students activity be controled?

- What mesaures can be put in place for security
(this is a hot topic for our N.M - He loves security)

Now obvisouly giving wireless in the 6th form area would mean that students could be in wireless devices, like laptop computers allowing them to work producivity and in a environment they are comfortable in ! :p

- This ties in with my 'referb' plan as well :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    CoolMe wrote: »
    Okay, part of my task to be the most annoying student ever for my network manager, is to write up a nice long '6TH FORM - WIRELESS PROPOSAL'

I would like your views and comments on the following below so I can type up a big document, Submit it to the Head-teacher, and head of 6th form and him! :angel:

- Why would you want wireless?

- What would wireless do for the 6th form area?

- How does it help students?

- What sort of access could be given to students?

- How can students activity be controled?

- What mesaures can be put in place for security
    (this is a hot topic for our N.M - He loves security)

Now obvisouly giving wireless in the 6th form area would mean that students could be in wireless devices, like laptop computers allowing them to work producivity and in a environment they are comfortable in ! :p

- This ties in with my 'referb' plan as well :)

Thanks!

Do 6th form students take their own laptops into colleage these days, back in my day the computer labs did the job...
  • Options
    Most places they do, but our 6th form how ever has never thought of it before. But change is going to happen! mwhah

Bringing wireless in for the 6th form area would promote E-Learning and keep students in school studying on computers and carrying out work etc.

Big long list to come, I'll post what I've got tonight but any tips or bits of text to include would be great! :)
  • Options
    Most likely 5K :)

I can't imagion a school spending 500K! Maybe 50K.

I hope you've got a techie mind, I've got 101 questions to ask you!

So you and your fellow students brought in your own laptops? How did that work then, as regards logging into shared drives, internet access. Or were the laptops connected to the domain?
  • Options
    We have no fish :D But thanks for that.

So the 'hired' laptops, were you able to take those home and log onto 'This computer' Example below.

xp-logon.png

You say you could only log onto the shared area via http? But surely it asks' for passwords and what not?

Regards the whole fear of people bringing in there own laptops, i assume people do bring them in? But if you can't access the shared area through a mapped network drive, then surely there is no fear of crap being put onto the network?

EDIT

I've attached my document so far, Take a skim read :yum:
  • Options
    But you can't use the hired laptops at home? as a Personal laptop?

If I'm right bringing a personal laptop in, connect to the wireless, then to actually do anything network side/access the internet you would be presented with a login - Like you would for a normal workstation

so its like VPN then right?
  • Options
    Alright then, Thanks for that :)

Have you got anything on paper regards this laptop scheme? Sound's like a good idea the way your 6th form place has got it sorted out !
  • Options
    It just means kids wont be e-learning but looking at things like b3ta.com in the comfort of their own common room.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    It just means kids wont be e-learning but looking at things like b3ta.com in the comfort of their own common room.
    Actually, even if you used your own laptop, you're still subject to the same restrictions as the rest of the network. Or you were at our college, up til about 6pm (don't ask why I was EVER there that late). So you couldn't look at any of the things that you couldn't look at on a college computer/laptop.
  • Options
    We have a odd shaped common room

Its like a L, but the other way round...

Any who, yeah thanks for that - Are the laptops that are on 'loan' any decent? and what's the contracts like? *all these questions!*

Moving onto another subject real quick:

Personal laptops: How would they affect school networks, regards to the programs and files that are stored on there?

Could the fact of having an illegal program installed on there cause a problem for the school? Pros, Cons of the matter would be fab! :)

Because in my eyes, it's non of the schools business, as long as I'm working productivity then there's no problem - and it's not like the personal laptop is going to be audited, its NOT the schools :) right?
  • Options
    How long before a kid manages to get around something, which enabled them to download something dodgy which fooks their laptop, then the parents try to claim!
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote: »
    We have a odd shaped common room

Its like a L, but the other way round...

Any who, yeah thanks for that - Are the laptops that are on 'loan' any decent? and what's the contracts like? *all these questions!*

Moving onto another subject real quick:

Personal laptops: How would they affect school networks, regards to the programs and files that are stored on there?

Could the fact of having an illegal program installed on there cause a problem for the school? Pros, Cons of the matter would be fab! :)

Because in my eyes, it's non of the schools business, as long as I'm working productivity then there's no problem - and it's not like the personal laptop is going to be audited, its NOT the schools :) right?
    It shouldn't do, because they don't actually connect into the whole network like the main college PC's do, just the internet connection. So I could use wireless internet on my laptop in the same way that I could use the internet on the college laptops, as I said above. Same restrictions, same bans, same everything. Every so often I had to enter my college login. Unless you specifically send dodgy files into the college system (like, into a college email account and then downloaded it into your area on a college computer) it shouldn't affect them.

Having wireless definitely was beneficial in my college. It meant there were more computers available in the library because people could use networked college laptops, and even when those were all taken, you could still use your own laptop in the library/other areas to do work in when all the computers were taken.
  • Options
    Prepared to get hacked to shit.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    nothing wrong with good old cat5.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    nothing wrong with good old cat5.

Its also quite cheap.
  • Options
    The laptop contract issue has some bad pros and cons to it.

For example

100 laptops @ £200 each = 20,000

Now, are the 'contracts' real contracts or just an agreement between a student + family with the school?

It sound's like a great idea but i'd have to read more into it before putting an idea like that forward haha

Illuminatus - Proper security measures could be put in place no?

Mac Address's for the laptops, any mac address that does not match the list, does not have access to connect.

Then if your laptop did connect, you'd then need to enter in your username & password which would gain you access to the internet.

Any flaws in the 3 step process?
  • Options
    Illuminatus - Proper security measures could be put in place no?

Yes, and no.

The types of 'IT Professionals' that get employed in schools wouldn't know the first thing about properly securing a network and things are constantly changing. They think they can just throw money at a problem and install some sort of package that does everything for them and leave it to work.

That said, I doubt the majority of students would bother messing with anything but there's always one.

When I was at school it was me.
  • Options
    heh good times with the schools computers :D
  • Options
    My school had wireless, as Illuminatus said, the IT crew in schools know nothing. My school network got hacked from an outsider, since the signal was strong. Well I say hacked, when it wasn't that big of a deal since it wasn't that secure anyway - they never even had it transmitting over WPA2, thankfully the IT crew knew how to keep backups of the system!

Personally I see no point. If students wanted to use the internet, they'd go into the rooms and use an ethernet cable or go home, or they'd even use the computers already IN the classes. From past experience, schools get ripped off. If they actually let someone who knew what they are doing, knew where to get the best hardware, and knew how to set it up properly, (also without mentioning they're a school!) then they'd get a cracking deal and it wouldn't cost so darn much.

Plus the laptops they usually offer aren't that great too.
    But, just a question... is this wireless access on the premisis only? Or is it within a x mile radius? (My cousin lives round the corner from my old school and has a laptop from them, and he uses their wireless.)

On another side, it'd be easier just to have a login system, like in most colleges, where you can view your files on the college system from home through a portal.
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    probally 50k then absolutly crazy amount!! (entire school that was)

Even 50k sounds way too high ....
  • Options
    The wireless signal would only cover a small section of the 6th form area.
    Which is not on the ground floor and ideally would not cover miles, maybe a few feet from its location :)

This is where my proposal comes in, if I show and speak about the ways to protect the wifi and implement security measures. Then it's a serious possibility.

But if anyone knows of ways to secure it even more then be my guest!

Also any other pros and cons to wireless and using it, including using personal laptops
  • Options
    Just thought I'd let you all know, I told my director of study, he loves the idea, wants me to finish the proposal and submit it tomorrow!

So I've got like 101 things to do tonight + that! ahhh its manic!
  • Options
    Good luck :D
  • Options
    Brilliant news for all following the thread! :)

I submitted both proposals and came back an hour later, once he had time to go over them.

Loves the ideas, ect and the potential of it, sooner or later wireless was going to be on the cards.

I even spoke about the laptop contract idea. Likes the idea, but it would need to go in more detail. the idea specially helps out those who can not afford to buy a 400-600 $$$ laptop.

I've been given a booklet about seeking the money from the local goverment, has to be in the end of october but need to speak to the head and get premission to improve the area!

So I'm officially 'Heading up the project!'