Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

compliments

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
might seem like a stupid question but, is giving a girl a genuine compliment a good way to get a conversation up and running without making it awkward? this question mainly applies to talking to girls id find attractive etc etc.

seriously any help is appreciated - i need all the help i can get :)

Comments

• Options
    depends. Not all girls are the same.
  • Options
    depends. Not all girls are the same.

yea, some think you are lying to get on their better side. Be scarce with the compliments when you hardly know her. There is a smarmy-meter however regarding compliments. I guess you can drop one very low on the smarmy-meter, but dunno how far this gets you.
  • Options
    like noticing a part of their clothing then? obviously saying something like "your the most beautiful woman iv ever seen" to someone after iv just met them wouldnt be the right thing to say!:lol:
  • Options
    if a guy made a non smarmy comment about my clothing, id think they were probably gay. If they made a smarmy comment, id think they were a cunt, unless of course i fancied them anyway.

Its a fine line, and if its something you have to think about, then it wont come naturally and its really hard to say whether you should or shouldnt because it would vary according to each and every individual circumstance
  • Options
    so your saying that if a guy gave you a compliment youd think they were either gay or a nob basically? (unless you actually fancied them) interesting..
  • Options
    probably. It would also depend on my mood, their tone of voice, where we were, all sorts of things.

What im saying, is its an impossible question like any "do guys like this" or "do girls like this" question
  • Options
    What's the definition of smarmy? Is it one of those 'urban dictionary' words?
  • Options
    I love compliments! There is never anything wrong with saying anything nice to people as long as its not all creepy lol simple things like "you look nice today" should do the trick! Maybe i am just easily pleased haha x
  • Options
    even off strangers?
  • Options
    Yeah even off strangers, i have had girls come up to me before and say i love your boots/jeans and i was like "Cheers babe" whats the problem.......???? and guys might saw "you look lovely today" what am i suppose to do, wack them over the head LOL
  • Options
    lol no, see it just proves my point. Theres no right or wrong answer. Just have to judge by the individual situation, and even then you might get it wrong, but you might just as easily get it totally right.

thats life
  • Options
    You need to be genuine with compliments and not say them just so you hope she`ll talk to you.
    Just saying "hi" is better really,you wont come off creepy.
    I only give a girl a compliment after Ive been talking to her for a while and I think shes cool.