Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is there something wrong with me?Should I feel guilty?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've never been in a relationship, all my friends have been or are in relationships.I'm 20, and people keep asking when I'm going to get a girlfriend, but I'm pretty happy and content at the moment, so I'm not actively looking for a relationship.

I'm an only child and feel bad when my mom, dad and step-mom talk about me having grandchildren, because there's a good chance I won't give them any.Should I stop feeling guilty that I don't want what everyone else seems to want?

Is there a chance I may change my mind when I'm older, and will not having a relationship in my 20s affect trying to start one with someone later in life (if I change my mind).

Comments

• Options
    If it's any consolation, I hadn't had any relationships until I was 20. Around two months after my 20th birthday, I was doing a work placement when I suddenly met a woman who seemed very keen on me. She asked me to go out after work with her one night, and that was when everything started. We were only together for a couple of months, but it was my first proper relationship.

At the age of 20, you don't need to worry too much about having children. I'm 23 now and I wouldn't mind being a father. Having said that, I need to meet the right woman first. :p You'll be alright in the end.
  • Options
    CharlieV wrote: »
    I because there's a good chance I won't give them any.

Do you want to have babies?
  • Options
    My 1st relationship was when I was 18/19 so not too much younger than you. I wouldn't feel bad about it just go out and about and be a smiley, polite and positive person and someone will come along when it's time. Just go with the flow.
  • Options
    A lot of people might start out not/wanting kids and as they get older change their mind. Of course it'll be nice for your parents to have a grandchild but at the end of the day it's your choice and they should be happy with your choice.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    A lot of people might start out not/wanting kids and as they get older change their mind

I think a lot of it is about finding someone you want to have children with and until that happens it doesn't really cross a lot of guys minds...
  • Options
    It's your life and you should do what you want; not what other people want.