Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tramadol

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been given these by my doctor for my back and while I was in his surgery I'm sure he said take 2 to 3 at a time, whilst the packet says 1 to 2. They come in 50mg tablets and to be honest just 2 don't do anything at all.

Does anyone know if 3 at that doseage would be safe?

Comments

• Options
    took 4 x 200mg ones the other week there utterly monged, rubbered and felt :yuck:

if tehy do 200mg tabs id assume takign up to 4 at once would be ok, whether or not it would be wise is a different matter
  • Options
    3 isn't going to kill you, but shouldn't you be trying to edge away from opiates after the codeine worries?
  • Options
    Well I do need an effective painkiller, I have a legitimate neck injury and if whatever treatment I take gives me a mellowed out feeling then all well and good. I just don't want to overdo it. I certainly wouldn't take more than 3.
  • Options
    The dosage range for normal adults (Tramadol) is 50-400mg BUT that is dependent upon your body weight and size.

If they aren't working talk to your GP again - maybe just give a call to the surgery and ask him to call you back with some advice, and some guidance on dosage. He may even be able to recommend or prescribe something that will help in tandem with it.
  • Options
    I'm on tramacet- tramadol with paracetomol. and i take 2x 75mg-tramadol tablets. So i'd say 3 was the maximum you want to go with. and try not to take more than 1 dose a day, the side effects get nasty, and i started to get addicted to them...
  • Options
    doses above 100mg are modified release capsules/tablets so you wouldnt take 150mg+ as an instant dose, it would be released slowly.
  • Options
    would explain the constant feelin of eughhh

cheers for lettin me kno bout the slow release stuff id have never realised before! :thumb:
  • Options
    They do give up to 250mg within an hour for post-operative pain though.

Though GQ: I'm not suggesting you take 250mg within an hour; that would be a bad idea.
  • Options
    I knew someone who was prescribed it for joint pains for quite a while, ended up completely buggering up his stomach, ulcer type pains etc. They can be quite rough on the stomach, I'd double check to see if it says take with food, and if so make sure you do.
  • Options
    I was given them after having an operation and i think i was given 100mg pills, i only took two (not at the same time) but they did the job really well. I didn't have the same bleurgh feeling you get with codeine but to be fair i was still pretty out of it from the op.

Because i found them so good i kept the rest but i never used them. The other half did when he had some chronic pain and was only given valtaren, he found them pretty addictive and i stopped him taking them.

So all in all, great painkiller...but use it as little as possible.
  • Options
    I've got to say I've found the Tramadol to be totally useless at the current doseage but an odd side effect is when I take them with 4ml of diazepam before i go to bed, I wake up in the morning totally refreshed.

I'd better explain, for as long as I can remember no matter how many hours' sleep I get, I always wake up totally knackard. It's been like for so long I've just accepted it. I'm usually then yawning til after midday.

But when I've taken 100ml Tramadol and 4ml diazepam, I wake up feeling absolutely awesome and refreshed and in all my 34 years I cannot remember ever feeling like that forst thing in the morning.

The only thing I can think of is together they put me in such a deep sleep that I recharge myself like never before. The other day I went to bed at 1am, woke up at 7am and felt totally refreshed and clear.

The NHS helpline said it would be safe to take the 2 types of medication together and that they would only enhance the others' effect - I had no idea to that extent!
  • Options
    Be very careful, sedatives can be very seductive to people who dont sleep well. Benzos are addictive and should not be taken long term.
  • Options
    Ah man I heard that! Last night was the first night in 3 days I didn't take the tramadol/diazepam combination before I went to bed. I didn't realise how easily was it to be, as you say, seduced by them. The feeling of waking up totally refreshed was almost an addiction so I didn't take them last night and I'm going to try to lay off them for a while.
  • Options
    Ah man I heard that! Last night was the first night in 3 days I didn't take the tramadol/diazepam combination before I went to bed. I didn't realise how easily was it to be, as you say, seduced by them. The feeling of waking up totally refreshed was almost an addiction so I didn't take them last night and I'm going to try to lay off them for a while.

Good plan, using any chemical long term to put you to sleep is a bad idea.
  • Options
    I got given Tramadol when i was in hospital last halloween and i didn't like them. They made me very sleepy.
  • Options
    good shout GQ - best to quit while you're ahead.
  • Options
    After a few days of the tramadol/diazepam combination, I'm not longer getting the deep refreshing sleep I was having last week which I'm assuming means I'm getting tolerant to the diazepam.

I'm certainly not going to up the doseage, I'd rather stay off them a while. Question is, on average how long does it take for such a tolerance to settle down again?
  • Options
    I think it would be a much better idea to not use it to help you sleep.

Tramadol certainly has addiction potential, and valium is both mentally and physically addictive.
  • Options
    I've said before tramadol does nothing for me - the doseage instructions say 100ml and I never exceed that but I feel nothing off them. If I take 4ml diazepam then I feel nothing either, it's always been that way.

But together they were giving the night's sleep I've always deserved however that no longer happens. I'd only do it maybe once or twice a week.

So the question still stands, how long does it take for a tolerance level to settle back down?
  • Options
    If you do it once a week your tolerance is unlikely to rise that quickly. However I would warn you in the strongest possible terms not to go down this route. Using valium to help you sleep once a week is highly likely to lead to more frequent use which is a short step to a very serious addiction.

I suggest you research benzo addiction just a little before you try doing this. It is one of the few addictions which you can die from withdrawl.
  • Options
    Did you mean 4 mg diazepem?

Natural tolerances will vary, the first time I took diazepam, 4 mg wouldn't touch me. I was prescribed 2 mg's.
  • Options
    I did the tramadol/diazepam combination for about 5 days, each day it worked. I was off for 3 days and took it onve more, again it worked. Subsequent times have brought nothing, which is why I need to know how long it takes for the tolerance to lower - once it has I'll go back to once a week.

I stress I've never needed anything to get off to or stay asleep, and I still don't. It's just taking the tablets takes me deeper asleep. Now it's just back to normal.
  • Options
    Did you mean 4 mg diazepem?

Natural tolerances will vary, the first time I took diazepam, 4 mg wouldn't touch me. I was prescribed 2 mg's.

Yes that's exactly it, 2 x 2mg diazepam. If I just took those they do nothing at all whatsoever.
  • Options
    I stress I've never needed anything to get off to or stay asleep, and I still don't. It's just taking the tablets takes me deeper asleep. Now it's just back to normal.

Then DO NOT TAKE IT, trust me I know what it is like not to sleep, I only get a max of 4 hours at a stretch every night but you really do not want to go down the route of using depressives.

If you do, good luck and come back here for advice when it becomes more often than once a week.
  • Options
    Can anyone actually answer my question?
  • Options
    NO for god sake. Everyone is different for the 10th time.
    2mg can send someone off to sleep, yet 10mg can only just affect someone else. Tolerence will depend on each person too.

Maybe nobody has an answer because people dont tend to stop long enough to find out once they have used it long enough to build up a tolerence.

if you dont really need it to get to sleep then dont bother. what use is a once a week deep sleep anyway?? you wont be able to carry it on for the rest of ya life.

you were posting about codeine werent u a while back?? Now its tramadol. Theyre both related to heroin ya'know.
  • Options
    I've asked a question and rather than answer it it seems people are more interested in saying "don't do it" etc. I appreciate the concern but I think it's pretty clear I've made up my mind.

No-one has given me any indication whether it's possible to regain my body's levels after maybe a week or so considering I've only been taking diazepam for about 3 to 4 weeks. That's all I wanted to know - is a week or two an unreasonable amount of time to expect.

I always wake up feeling like a zombie, almost as tired as when I went to bed. When I take these tablets this doesn't happen - I get an awesome night's sleep. THIS is why I taken them. I'm happy to only take them once a week. If you don't have the same sleep problems as myself then it's easy to see why you don't understand my point. By the way the whole issue of why I wake up feeling so bad is a seperate matter so please let's not go down that road.

Yes I've posted about Tramadol but from reading my posts you'll know that tramadol alone does nothing for me, I don't feel anything different after taking it.

And just to be clear, I would never EVER go near the 'hard' stuff, such as heroin. Anything I do take will come from a doctor's prescription.
  • Options
    If your GP has prescribed you valium for 4 weeks he either has a very very good reason or he is dangerously stupid.

The reason people are reluctant to tell you how quickly your tolerance will go down is that it is very hard to say. You may be able to continue to use this way once a week, but the temptation for it to become more often is going to be there and the risk of physical addiction is serious.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    If your GP has prescribed you valium for 4 weeks he either has a very very good reason or he is dangerously stupid.

First of all I DO appreciate everyone's comments - I'm aware I come across as more than a little abrasive occasionally but I'm grateful for those who take the time to reply. He didn't quite prescribe them for 4 weeks - initially I went and he prescribed them, no problem. Once the course was up (which was around 2 weeks later) I went back and asked for me. I explained to him the reason I was back so soon was I went through them rather quickly, not knowing how many I'd need to take in order to feel any kind of effectiveness. I found I needed to take 4 to 5 of them in one go for them to have an effect on the pain. Considering they came in a pack of 28, they didn't last long. When prescribing them a second time, he spent about 20 minutes explaining how addictive they can be, what they do, where they can lead and even told me of a few ladies in their 80s he has coming to him, they are properly addicted to them as a sleeping aid and because of their age and dosage levels will never ever come off them.
    budda wrote: »
    The reason people are reluctant to tell you how quickly your tolerance will go down is that it is very hard to say. You may be able to continue to use this way once a week, but the temptation for it to become more often is going to be there and the risk of physical addiction is serious.

If I can get these to work for me just oince a week then I'll be more than contented to keep it at that rate. I'm aware the temptation will be strong, but I'm more than confident that once a week will be manageable.
  • Options
    Well all I can add then is when/if you begin to get into a habit of using them more frequently you seek help ASAP.

Personally I am still surprised that a GP is willing to prescribe valium on a medium to long term basis, its an incredibly dangerous thing to do.