Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Changing your name post-marriage

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was under the impression that when you change your name through marriage, you do it after the deed, with copies of your marriage certificate where necessary.

Now I have just read a wedding magazine (I know, I know, they're not to be entirely trusted) which has told me I should inform banks/work/docs/etc a month before. Given that my wedding is in three weeks, this isn't going to happen (oops). But should I be telling them before rather than after?

Help me, old smug marrieds of thesite :p

Comments

• Options
    I know bith my sisters informed them after they were married. Especially as one just ran off to Gretna Green.
  • Options
    You should be fine letting them know after the event.

I changed my bank account name a couple of days after getting married as that was important to me - don't think they would have done anything if I had told them beforehand as they would require to see a copy of the marriage certificate (if I remember rightly).

Congratulations for 3 weeks time by the way :)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I did everything after the event. Most places wanted proof of wedding, ie the marriage certificate.

The only place that there is some sort of discretion is with passport. You can change your name before the wedding, but your passport would only be valid after the wedding. It's to do with travelling with your new name (you would be Mr & Mrs Olive, instead of Miss Olive and Mr to-be Olive, if that makes sense).

Not sure of the full thing with the passport as it isn't something that I needed to worry about.

There's still a couple of things I haven't changed yet and I've been married 3 years!
  • Options
    As you say you can change the name on your passport up to 3 months (i think) prior to your wedding however you aren't able to travel on it until after you're married so it is the type of thing you should only do if you are sure you aren't going to need to travel before your wedding!
  • Options
    Yeah I think since most places want the original certificate it'd be a right pain in the ass to change stuff before the marriage.
  • Options
    The only place that there is some sort of discretion is with passport. You can change your name before the wedding, but your passport would only be valid after the wedding. It's to do with travelling with your new name (you would be Mr & Mrs Olive, instead of Miss Olive and Mr to-be Olive, if that makes sense).

Oh yeah, I looked that up a while ago. I think I'm fine cause we booked tickets in my maiden name, and all passport and documents are in that name too. Apparently as long as tickets match passport, either way is good. I'll be Mrs Not-Olive in my head! :)

I thought it made more sense to change after, what with needing proof and all that. Stupid magazines. I was only looking for hair inspiration :grump:
  • Options
    i did it after the event
  • Options
    and congratulations!!!
  • Options
    We booked the honeymoon in my wife's maiden name, so we didn't need to change her passport. Everything else was done after as she needed the marriage certificate to prove it.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    Where are all the exciting lj posts with exciting things? And my invite?!

I have been as busy as a very busy person! I'll do one soon.

And I can't believe you didn't get your invite!!!!Was probs because I didn't send you one :p

Anyhoo, thanks all - I will know not to trust stupid magazines from now on!

And thanks SC! I am v :hyper: