Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Starting up a new buisness!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

Im looking at starting a mobile nail technition buisness up. However I dont have a clue where to start?? As this wont be my main job I am only looking at making a £1000 a year max. Do I have to inform the tax man??

Also how do I go about registering a buisness name etc? I know where to get insurance from once I complete my course at the end of the month.

Does anyone have any experience in this and can advise me?

Thanks

AFA

Comments

• Options
    You know that only works out as £20 ish a week.
  • Options
    AIM BIG, earn more
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »

It's better than setting herself up for getting £20,000 a year - and then being disappointed.

She's just starting out, so a small target figure is great! Then she can see if she wants to expand - it's good to see a sensible and realistic figure :)

I don't know much, so can't help you, Angel. But I hope you enjoy your new venture!
  • Options
    PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    It's more than likely you will have to inform someone about your business plans, however much you plan to make. It's true that you can earn a certain amount tax free, but you'll have to declare it nevertheless. The Government's website, Business Link is a good place to start...

Business Link

And look here for information from HMRC about being self employed

But if you want to hear it TheSite.org stylee, then here's some of our own fact sheets.

Starting up your own business
    Tax and self employment

And read about Fraser, who started up his own jam making business!

Lots of luck with it, hope it goes well :-)
  • Options
    I set up my own business at 17 and its still going strong, a few personal tips:

If you are sick - go to work

Think long and hard about employing anyone, do you have the work for someone? the turnover? can they pay for themselves with the work they do?

If you cant be bothered with working - go to work

Be prepared to lose money in the first year - I was in the red 15000 pounds in my first year

Don't listen to other people putting a downer on you saying you will not make it, your targets are your own.

Take everything people in a similar position/business says their earning and half it to get closer to the real figure

Never lose faith that tomorrow will make up the shortfall of this day/week/month

If you need to advertise do it yourself, print your own cards or use one of those little machines in service stations and post them yourself.

Most importantly (to me): Always think before you spend money. Just because you have a business does not mean you need to spend money like water, A brand new sign written van when a car will do for example.
  • Options
    Get someone to proof read any leaflets or advertising you make - "technician" for example.
  • Options

Yes i realise this, however it will be a second income as my main job is around £10,000 a year and I want to try this buisness out to see how well it goes before I quit to set up full time.

Does anyone know how to register a buisness name and how much it costs etc?
  • Options
    Yes i realise this, however it will be a second income as my main job is around £10,000 a year and I want to try this buisness out to see how well it goes before I quit to set up full time.

Does anyone know how to register a buisness name and how much it costs etc?

When i did it i went into the town hall loaded with my information: Ni number, ID, the name of the company (ok thats not true i never actually had a name and chose the first one that popped into my head) and you just fill out a form registering yourself and you will get even more forms from the Inland Revenue to fill out afterwards.

It costs nothing to do - also while you are there ask for every leaflet they have on starting a new business and read them right through, most importantly the ones about taxes!
  • Options
    if you already earn more than 100 £ a week anything else is liable for tax so assuming you have a full time job you are probably dues for 20 % tax deduction on all you earn in the venture
  • Options
    if you already earn more than 100 £ a week anything else is liable for tax so assuming you have a full time job you are probably dues for 20 % tax deduction on all you earn in the venture

I dont have a full time job, only 15 hours per week, so would it still be 20%??
  • Options
    I dont have a full time job, only 15 hours per week, so would it still be 20%??

You would be liable pay income tax (and NI) on any profit you make. Allowable costs for the nail business can be set off against the income you make (you will need receipts for your income and costs).
    Your main job would also be counted as you main souce of income, and your tax code will be allocated against that income.

If you know any sole traders/nice accountants get them to give you a run down of what you might be/not able to claim.
  • Options
    If you pop into your local tax office they will be more than willing to help you out with rules and regs.
  • Options
    If you pop into your local tax office they will be more than willing to help you out with rules and regs.

and possibly the joke centre plus.. err. I meant job centre plus still trying to figure out which one it really is :)
  • Options
    and possibly the joke centre plus.. err. I meant job centre plus still trying to figure out which one it really is :)

If its to do with anything other than job benefits or looking for a job, then go see the tax office if it involves money that needs to go to the taxman.
  • Options
    I say go for it, as freelifting says though aim high because you don't want to undersell yourself. See what other nail tech's are charging and aim to charge roughly the same (or provide a better service). I know people who failed at the first hurdle because they thought they had to undercut everyone else by a ridiculous amount and they never made enough to stay in it.

The businesslink link looks really good, read through everything on there. It might be helpful to start writing things down about your business to help you make a business plan. How many hours do you intend to work a week? How much will you charge? How much does it cost per treatment? What are the overheads? Is there a market? Things like that. Some people never bother and don't realise until AFTER they have started their business that it has no hope of ever making money.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    The businesslink link looks really good, read through everything on there. It might be helpful to start writing things down about your business to help you make a business plan. How many hours do you intend to work a week? How much will you charge? How much does it cost per treatment? What are the overheads? Is there a market? Things like that. Some people never bother and don't realise until AFTER they have started their business that it has no hope of ever making money.
    :yes: Business link is brillant, I have used it plenty of times for work related queries. Making a buiness budget/plan is a good idea as well, dont forget you will have a lot of start up costs (equipment/advertising/busniess cards etc)