Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Laptop opinions/advice wanted

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would go for the Toshiba machine from your Pcworld link. It's because Tosh have the best post-sales support I have seen for any manufacturer. They can turn around a faulty laptop in 1 week max, often in just 3 days, even if it's the motherboard that's at fault. One word of advice though if you do take the Tosh, lose the Norton 360 and install something like AVG, Avast or NOD32. Norton and McAfee = bloat = reduced system performance.

Your Sony one at Currys... I don't know enough about Sonies. From what I've seen in the past though, I can only say good things. Sony is a well known brand.

Your HP machine at Ebuyer... Avoid. Unfortunately, my company has made the switch to HP machines, and they install so much of their own crap plus N360, that they run at only half of their potential.
  • Options
    Go for the Toshiba. It has a good size hard disk, 3 Gb memory that is well good for any task and PC World have a good after-sales service if you sign up for a £9.99 monthly warranty. It's not like the old warranties in the past where you had to pay out a massive wad of cash. I bought an Acer from them and it's going really well, although a family member bought their Toshiba laptop ages ago from them and is well pleased with both her laptop and PC. W.

There is an excellent free anti-virus edition called Bit Defender 10. When you download it you have to register your email address so to verify. Bit Defender 10 has been excellent and doesn't slow down my comp so it shouldn't do yours. Nod32 also is supposed to be good.

Bit Defender 10 - this is a safe website which I used.

http://www.bitdefender.com/media/html/trialpay.html

popp
  • Options
    I personly would not touch toshiba with a barge pole, dodgy dodgy machines imho however if you go for it, get it someone else, PCworld a REALLY overpriced most of the time, unless this is one of there random and rare actual bargins
  • Options
    That's what I was thinking ^ But everyone was backing them up, so I thought I better not say anything :)

I was going to get that sony, but the core 2 duo model, but I ended up with a macbook pro :D
  • Options
    well i really like the look of the toshiba and i know it's got an extra gig of ram. But the sony is probably better quality. I want something that will last for a while and not be shit
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    I personly would not touch toshiba with a barge pole, dodgy dodgy machines imho however if you go for it, get it someone else, PCworld a REALLY overpriced most of the time, unless this is one of there random and rare actual bargins

Make that 2 barge poles. Tosh are shite
  • Options
    you could always try Dell :]
  • Options
    I am going to build one from scratch later on dell's website. There's too many choices these days!
  • Options
    Can't comment on modern Tosh models, but 4+ years ago they were as good as anything else. Better than HP/Compaq, comparable to good Dell gear.

I've got a modern Dell, and can't complain at all. When pricing one up, start a new quote for a small business and see what a Vostro costs. Then, sit back and laugh, as it'll be a bargain and come with a years on-site NWD warranty as part of the base price. :)
  • Options
    I've been playing on the dell website and i am definitely impressed, i can choose what i want so i feel a bit more satisfied that i have what parts i know i am after.

If i buy off the small business side, does it not matter that i don't own a business?

I'm liking the xps :)
  • Options
    No, it don't mean a thing :)

Just careful because when you come to the checkout your see a charge for VAT/tax I think.
  • Options
    Yeah i noticed that.

I still haven't bought because i can't decide which one to go for.

Decisions decisions.
  • Options
    Dinted wrote: »
    I've been playing on the dell website and i am definitely impressed, i can choose what i want so i feel a bit more satisfied that i have what parts i know i am after.

If i buy off the small business side, does it not matter that i don't own a business?

I'm liking the xps :)

Yup, just fill in a business name. Nothing to stop private individuals buying small business gear.

Set yourself up a Porsche dealership. I recommend the name "Technique Porsche" ;).
  • Options
    yeah just remember all the small business site prices are ex vat, so your final bill will be 17.5% more.
  • Options
    And remember to deselect the 3 year warranty! You only need the basic one year!
  • Options
    The Sony is so cheap because it has an old processor. I've heard bad things about both Toshiba and PC World. And the ebuyer one is so cheap because it's from ebuyer, and not some shitty high-street shop. I suspect that ebuyer have upgraded this laptop themselves, because you can't find it anywhere else with that spec. Uninstall all of the shit that HP install on your computer though. But I'd definitely go for the HP personally. And I've had to return stuff to ebuyer before, and their customer service is top notch.
  • Options
    Well i just purchased a dell.

4gb ram, 250 gb hard drive, decent processor, lots of extras all for £520.

Quite chuffed! :)
  • Options
    God I should be a sales rep for dell! :)
  • Options
    i've got to wait 3 weeks max for it.
    Thanks for the advice peeps!