Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

setting up a router

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right we've been trying to set up a router in my house, we've got BT voyager 105 modem, and a netgear super-G wireless modem router, but we're having no luck, it broadcasts the network, but we cant get in to secure it, so we've just completely uninstalled everything

Can anyone give me an idiots guide to setting up this router?

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    I'm sure these routers are plug and play?

Plug > Play with wep :)
  • Options
    I think the OP can use the router, but wants to be able to make the wireless more secure but cant do so?
  • Options
    nope, i cant work it at all, turns out im more of a techtard than i thought. We tried to set it all up, then lost our internet connection (most likely cause we use AOL :(, (but for some reason mother signed up to an extended contract, but thats beside the point) so we set it up, but we couldn't get the internet on the desktop computer, so we unplugged it all, but it was still broadcasting a signal, so we tried to get into secure the network but it just wasn't working so, i need a total step by step idiots guide if thats at all possible please?
  • Options
    Is there no instructions about how to access the configuration page on the router, should be a bit of paper or a page in the manual that says default username and password?

You go to a wb address in your browser similar to (but possible not actually) 192.168.0.1 and then you effectively log onto it.
  • Options
    I believe for Netgears it's 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1
    Username: admin | Password: password

This is from memory so bear with me. Click on 'wireless' on the left. Here you can set up the security etc, refer to the manual for more details. Normally you'd want a 64bit WEP password to check it's working, or do it unsecured to test. It would also be worthwhile connecting via an ethernet cable first, since this definitely won't be secured, and will disregard whether the WIFI is working properly.

I think Netgears might have a switch to enable/disable the WIFI broadcast. Check that and if so make sure it's switched on (the WIFI light should be on, green I think).

Which windows version are you using? Go into the WIFI access page, and delete the entry for your network. Once you rediscover it, enter the WIFI password again from scratch.

Check you've plugged the modem into the right socket. Does it connect by a telephone wire (RJ11) or ethernet cable (RJ45)? If its the latter, it must be connected into the socket that's by itself, away from the other ethernet sockets (which are for connecting computers to the router). If there's only one telephone socket, connect it in there. If there are more than one, make sure you don't plug it into the VOIP socket.

You can check a fair bit of info with the lights on the front, and also on the config>router status page.

Also, check your internet settings (usually) go into Internet Explorer, then Tools>Internet Options>Connection, then make sure 'never dial a connection' is selected, otherwise it will try and dial out via the modem and bypass the router. Also click on 'LAN settings' (or 'proxy') and make sure none of the boxes here are ticked. 'Detect settings automatically' can be ticked but normally leave it unticked.

I think that's everything, if you still can't get it working, let me know. If you can post screenshots of the router config, and which lights are on the router, that will help.

Good luck, it can be frustrating :)