Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I miss my country.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I realise there is much settling in to happen but I can't get to feel happy in England even though there's so much to do. I miss my Greek food, miss the open friendliness of even younger people than I. And all this rain. :( Yes, well I realise the colder weather here is preferable to being roasted in 44 degrees of blistering heat but I can't wait to go back to Kalymnos even if it's for 3 weeks.

Poppi

Comments

• Options
    Can i come please? :)
  • Options
    I'm sorry, but your country no longer exists. It's recently been turned into a new suburb of Britain, just like Majorca, Ibiza and the Costa Del Sol. :D
  • Options
    GoodFella you'd be welcome. Just don't forget to bring 100 gallons of water for the first week's drinking + beer. :)

Hi 'I'm With'... if that's so then Britain's just become a sauna. After you with the towel. :)
  • Options
    did you honestly think Britain would even compare?

oh my word!
  • Options
    Putting it politely, no. Britain can not compare. The culture is far different, anyway. But what I miss is the atmostphere, it was so light hearted, people kinder and far more trusting. There never was any violence in the streets at any time of day or night. I could walk around Pothia, Kalymnos' maritime capital late at night, even Massouri full of tourists and still feel safe. So I guess it's just me being difficult, missing my country like any other person would.

Sunsetofafriendship29thJune2008047.jpg
  • Options
    How long have you been here? And where abouts in Britain are you? (that makes all the difference, I've hated living in some places).

As for the rain its been a pretty poor summer this year, we've been unlucky. But the British climate is pretty cack
  • Options
    I realise there is much settling in to happen but I can't get to feel happy in England even though there's so much to do. I miss my Greek food, miss the open friendliness of even younger people than I. And all this rain. :( Yes, well I realise the colder weather here is preferable to being roasted in 44 degrees of blistering heat but I can't wait to go back to Kalymnos even if it's for 3 weeks.

Poppi

Well to be honest most people would think you're crazy leaving Greece to come the UK :)

Overall I'd say total quality of life is much greater in other European countries, for just the reasons you've given above.

Some places like Devon, Cornwall, etc are really nice but overall I don't think this country feels as relaxed as many others. For many people all there is to do is work/school and come home and watch TV - certainly where I live there is nothing to do within walking distance apart from shops and a cinema and loads of pubs. The only bit of nature is grass parks which might not even be that safe to go to.

Friends of mine just emigrated to Australia and speaking to them on the phone the other week they said they really regretted not leaving sooner.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »

As for the rain its been a pretty poor summer this year,

And last year, and the year before, and the year before that.

I think i remember a hot summer about 4 years ago
  • Options
    I've got to be fair, mostly I love living in Wales, but the weather is so depressing it's unbelievable. I would jump at the chance to live somewhere warmer if I had the money to move (although I'd definitely miss my family and friends).
  • Options
    I moved to England from a climate that is just as shit as the English (but probably a bit less rainy), and with people here being as uptight as in England (if not much worse) and I still miss my country and way things are done here.
    That's where your life has been until now, and even though its not the same culture shock as it would be to move from an African tribe in the Savannah to these colder parts of the world, then it is still a difference and still takes time to adjust to.
    I remember that the first two months I was on the go all the time having a blast, and didn't have time to think about home. Then after two months I started feeling the pinch of missing home. And today, I can't see myself living at home anymore. As if its a chapter of 'been there, done that' - though I still miss home, friends, family and places.

Basically, everyone who says they'd jump on it if they were given half the chance to move - you would still miss England, if anything then at least for friends and family.
    (Actually i remember them showing the transition for these British expats from England to this Spanish Island. At least one couple on the show went back home, after everyday life started kicking in).
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    I've got to be fair, mostly I love living in Wales, but the weather is so depressing it's unbelievable. I would jump at the chance to live somewhere warmer if I had the money to move (although I'd definitely miss my family and friends).

:yes: I love Wales but we definitely get more than our fair share of rain! This summer has been particularly traj
  • Options
    Kangoo, I've been in the south coast of England, near Brighton, only for about one month now. I don't mind the rain because at least I can think clearly. With such heat in Greece people have to pace themselves. Ever heard of "Greek Maybe Time"? This is mostly because of the heat. Things slow right down. Another thing is our winters which are very damp but nobody stays on my island, for they go elsewhere: Athens, Australia, Italy. At Christmas time most of those who can afford to go, who have property abroad get out and don't return to about enf of February, early March.

Diamond, my family and I had one of the worst winters in memory. Constand thunderstorms, vicious waterspouts, mud slides, earthquakes and torrential rain damaged our farm in Emboreios, and we lost many head of sheep and goats. Then there was my mother dying which did my head in.. there were so many problems but most of all, it was the heat that did for us.

Mostly I miss Greek food. But I have yet to settle properly here but won't be able to do so until our furniture arrives and we get into a routine for work. And I want to start working as soon as possible so to pay National Insurance tax, so to qualify for NHS doctor's treatment should I need.

There re so many variables as to why I miss my country but when necessity means I have to move with my family then I have to accept a little home sickness, don't I? :)

All this rain you guys have been having is due to Global Warming. Well, that is what I heard recently on the TV weather forecasters saying England, Scotland and Wales have had appalling weather due to this change in the world's climate. But then, Global Warming has affected my country, also. Instead of warm weather we have been getting scorching weather, vicious, frightening thunderstorms but little rain except expected until at least September. And those dreadful fires that swept across the mainland killing young and old.

Just over a year ago my family took me on when I learnt my mum was gone seriosly ill. We're all girls, and living in the one house. So watch out. ;)

Poppi
  • Options

Haha 2 years ago was hot I remember, but this summer and last have been a bit on the rainy side. Urgh
  • Options

Poppi

It will take at least 6 months to a year before the homesickness abates somewhat. If you don't NEED to stay here, I would go back. :)
  • Options
    GoodFella you'd be welcome. Just don't forget to bring 100 gallons of water for the first week's drinking + beer. :)

Hi 'I'm With'... if that's so then Britain's just become a sauna. After you with the towel. :)

Yay :)

What is it the greeks say when they say cheers .. yamas?
  • Options
    Yep, that's Yiamus! (pronounced yia-mas)
  • Options
    Teagan, yes I realise. I reckon also once this feeling I've got being similar to like being away, I'll get into the real meaning of living. But I so want to get cracking at work. Get to be full time "Resident" pay my taxes, NHS contributions thereby allowing me to see a doctor.

But I DO need to stay here - that's just the point. Because I'm in a committed and loving relationship with Lyra my adorable girlfriend. And where she goes, so will I go. And... where our "family" go - we go with them. I have never known a family quite like my friends who took me in when I needed help. They are just fantastic! :)

Poppi
  • Options
    Can't you can see a dr without paying NI? I'm sure thats not how it works
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Can't you can see a dr without paying NI? I'm sure thats not how it works

:yes:
    Get to be full time "Resident" pay my taxes, NHS contributions thereby allowing me to see a doctor. i

Greece is EU so you can see a doctor without any problem.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »

Greece is EU so you can see a doctor without any problem.

yeah thats no problem. My OH is french and he has full access to the NHS because its in the EU.
  • Options
    Yes but for emergency treatment only.
  • Options
    An interesting observation was when I was last in Switzerland, at a posh hotel in Lucerne for a three day breaK when I was in convo with an ENglish couple. After we'd spoken awhile I excused myself "I need a cig", I said, to which the couple looked absolutely horrified.

"Holy Fark! you're not smoking, are you??!!!"
    "Yep."
    "That's appalling!"
    "Why?"
    "Anything 'cigarette' should never be allowed even outside!"

Amazed, I stared back. Then I remarked, "What is it with your Brits? If I was sitting at a cafe in Pothia having 5 double expressos one after the other, and then having a couple of beers at 9 in the morning, AND getting through 2 packets of cigs, nobody not one Greek would ever remark."

The couple remained gawping, especially the woman whose double chins appeared to wobble not unlike a pink blancmange. Then I said, "Look - I may not live to your great age, and I may not have a fat-free life, and eat no sugar, smoke no fags, drink no wine - but at least I wouldn't have had a BORING life!"

They made no reply. Just looked stunned. I beetled off and enjoyed the best smoke ever. :)

Poppi
  • Options
    Yes but for emergency treatment only.

Nah, full treatment. It's just a matter of going to register there.
  • Options
    I don't blame you, get out of this shit hole country while you can.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote: »
    Nah, full treatment. It's just a matter of going to register there.

• Options
  • Options
    Thank you for what you wrote. :) Last Friday I drove up to Cheltenham and must say I loved Gloucestershire. And some nice pubs, too.

Later I will visit this lake district, see what it's like. perhaps I will go there and stay a fortnight. I do love walking you see.

Poppi
  • Options
    In Gloucestershire I saw another side to England but in time I hope to visit the North, and even the Scottish Highlands that my girlfriend says is similar to the mountains of my own. To some, the United Kingdom may be a beautiful country, a land of contrasts, their home. But maybe people can understand how I must at times wonder if it is right for me and know that if it weren’t for my special family that I came to England with, then it wouldn’t be somewhere that I would have chose to come to. Everything that meant so much to me is hundreds of miles away back in Greece, and in nine days‘ time will be returning for a short while before returning here to try and settle and give our café business a try.

Also, when my mother was alive I spoke to her about finding out about my father but since she died, I’ve not given him much thought. Even though I know where he lives, he does not know I am living in England, so I doubt very much if I shall contact him but instead, live with my special family in peace only without unnecessarily stirring up troubles from the past.

Poppi
  • Options

Nah, only this year (2008) and 2007 were bad. 2006 was 8 weeks of heat wave. August 2003's heat wave still holds the record for the hottest UK temperature in modern times. 2001 was fine too. It's just down to memory :-)