Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

going into long term psycotherapy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i went to the neuropsychiatrist today, and he gave me 2 options, CBT or more psycotherapy. So, i've opted for the second option, which will take longer and possibly be more difficult for me, but i'm really put off CBT for personal reasons.

So, this is going to sound like a weird question, and i'm not so sure that anyone is going to be able to give me an answer, but what is the normal recovering period for PTSD?

and anyone that wishes to share their experiances of how they found going into long term psycotherapy, i'd be very pleased to hear them.

thanks

Comments

• Options
    I think it depends on what happened and how badly it affected you. Also the relationship you have with the therapist would probably affect the speed of recovery. If it's more childhood related then it would no doubt take longer as it would be more ingrained.

Random question but did you see the doctor on the NHS?
  • Options
    yes, but it took ages to get refered to him.
  • Options
    Hey Twisted_Trinity, I am a qualified hypnotherapist/psychotherapist and I just wondered whether you had considered any form of hypnosis for your PTSD.

I would honestly say that hypnosis (or the mix of both hypnotherapy and psychotherapy) is very successful for many who are suffering PTSD with quite instant and pleasantly surprising results.

Spodgey
  • Options
    yeah i don't want instant results, i want to work through it in a methodical and systematic fashion. i need to look at things slowly, there are so many different things which have added to the PTSD, rather than one single event and i think thats why i just want to work through it that way...
  • Options
    Fair enough, good luck :)
  • Options
    What is the main reason you want to go for psychotherapy, are you finding it difficult to get back into routine or is your stress anchored within repeating itself over and over?
  • Options
    neither, i don't understand a lot of what went on, and i have a lot of my reactions to things and that brings old stuff up or i just freak out. I have boughts of depression, flash backs, fits. I'm generaly not in good emotional health.
  • Options
    neither, i don't understand a lot of what went on, and i have a lot of my reactions to things and that brings old stuff up or i just freak out. I have boughts of depression, flash backs, fits. I'm generaly not in good emotional health.

While waiting to go into psycotherapy I think you should have a look around at some self help books (try ones that are written by hypnotists or people from that field) I'm not saying that these sort of books are the answer but if you can find it within yourself to remove the emotional anchors and worry of what happened it will prepare you for your psycotherapy and also teach you ways of moving towards your ultimate goal.

After all psycotherapy will be based on helping you understand your problems and whats better than to start off by understanding and helping yourself.
  • Options
    Remember that it's a marathon not a sprint (metaphorically of course). Think of it like physiotherapy - it might really hurt and you might be in more pain and with more symptons than before you started - even if it is 'working' things can often feel worse before they feel better so stick at it. Good luck :)