Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I need to put weight on!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just lost half a stone in about a fortnight*.

I really need to put it back on and more besides. I'm now 7st 8lbs and 5ft 7. I'm a curvy-ish (I have hips and boobs but my bum seems to have disappeared) size six and I want to be a size 8-10.

What should I be eating? I'm thinking it's probably not the three iced doughnuts I had on Friday night :yeees: Preferably healthy comfort food, all suggestions welcome...

I don't do any exercise at all right now, other than dashing about at work. Would exercise make me put weight on?!

(*the reason: a miscarriage and not eating much at all for two weeks, if anyone was wondering)

Comments

• Options
    I've heard that adding things like ensure, slimfast or some kind of protein drink to your meal can help. It adds extra calories, won't make you feel overly full and has the added vitamins and what not in it. Snacking on things like nuts can help too... relatively high in calories but healthy nonetheless.
  • Options
    I think having a sugary soft drink with meals helps you put on weight quickly
  • Options
    I'll donate some of the fat from my hips, thighs and tummy to you for a reasonable price.
  • Options
    Bananas are surprisingly high in calories considering they're a fruit...as someone else mentioned nuts are excellent to gain weight too.

The best thing I can suggest is to try this website. I's called weight loss rescources but you can use it to gain weight. There is a 3 day free trial which you could use to find out out many calories you need to consume to gain weight. It takes exercise in to account and your daily activity, age, gender, height etc. You can choose to gain weight at half a pound a week - 2 pound a week. Just chose the "gain weight" option when you get started. You can message their help team for free for advice too. I have lost weight on this programme over the past year and kept it off. Once you know how many calories you need to gain weight and then maintian weight (change your options on the trial and make notes of how many calories you need to gain and then maintain) you can do this yourself instead of relying on the programme.

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/lostart.htm

I hope this helps :)
  • Options
    Would exercise make me put weight on?

Exercise definitely makes me put on weight. It's a mixture of gaining muscle, and increasing your appetite, I reckon. I really struggle to keep my weight up when I don't exercise regularly (like now - oops).

Snacking on nuts and seed helps too. They're full of good fats.

P.S. Hope you're feeling ok.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm alright ta. Keeping busy at work which is tiring me out so I sleep all evening - which doesn't leave time for exercise! Intend to try again in a few months, hence trying to get my weight up and out of the "underweight" category (me not eating properly is one of the many irrational, guilty thoughts I've had...).

Thanks for all your suggestions. Feel free to add any more :)
  • Options
    Have you had a look at that website I suggested? It really does give you a good idea of how much food you need to eat to gain weight :) It takes exercise in to account too.
  • Options
    I´d embrace the opportunity to eat loads of your favorite foods, avoid exercise and watch some great films.

Nooooooo... That just adds flab, which is no good whatsoever.
  • Options
    I've just read why you have lost the weight. Sorry for your loss, if you ever ant to PM me to talk then feel free as I suffered a mis carriage last year also. I feel for you xxx
  • Options
    I've struggled to put weight on sometimes, so I've picked up a few tips here and there.

First off I eat as much pasta and potatoes as possible, and bread. Snaffle a little extra peice of fruit here and there.
    Then there are the not so obvious things to do, like use pepper cos it increases your appitite, and drink wine with your meals for the same reason (plus it adds calories).
    Don't worry if it takes some time, it's better to put it on slowly and healthily than pile it all on eating junk food.

Doing exercise is good too.

And hope you're feeling OK.
  • Options
    I'd say the healthiest place to find calories is olive oil, and almonds. I have a friend who always forgets to eat, and adds a few tablespoons to each meal xx