Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

After work-out recovery food

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not sure if this goes here or in Health and Fitness... feel free to move it mods.

What foods or drinks are best for having just after a workout?

I go to the gym and my workout is cardio and resistance and stretchy stuff, I am improving having started in March, I now go about three times a week.

I've seen adverts on the tube ForGoodnessShakes that claim that they aid recovery and make you feel better the next day. Anyway, I registered for a free sample voucher (www.forgoodnessshakes.com) but I just wondered is it a bit of a con? Like is it actually any better than say a banana and some water?

Comments

• Options
    If I were you then I'd stick to a banana and lots of water with maybe some fresh lemon juice in. It's cheaper and healthier. Also, many bought products are just full of glucose and fructose instead of natural sugar that is found in fruit.
  • Options
    I've just had a look at the ingrediants and there is only a tiny amount of banana puree in it and the rest is milk, sugar and vitamins! So maybe make your own banana smoothie and take a vitamin pill!
  • Options
    Ideally after a workout you want to be taking in a decent amount of protein to help repair your muscles and refueling your energy stores with carbs (not sure on the exact ideal split between the two but im sure someone else will be able to clarify).
    Eating a couple of hard boiled eggs and drinking a pint of semi skimmed will give you a pretty big protein hit after workout.
    Most gyms will reccomend eating a high carb meal about 1.5 hours before a workout and then refueling asap afterwards.
    firesilk wrote: »
    many bought products are just full of glucose and fructose instead of natural sugar that is found in fruit.
    Its worth noting that this is not necesserily a bad thing. Glucose will bring your energy levels back up so you wont feel so tired out after a big gym sesh. So even eating a little bag of haribo or something is not as detrimental as one might think.
  • Options
    icey wrote: »
    Its worth noting that this is not necesserily a bad thing. Glucose will bring your energy levels back up so you wont feel so tired out after a big gym sesh. So even eating a little bag of haribo or something is not as detrimental as one might think.

Maybe in some peoples eye's but I'm particularly health conscious as diabetes is a factor in my life although I'm not going to go in to all that right now as it defers from the question a little.
  • Options
    FWIW I tried that forgoodnessshakes after a workout yesterday and I definitely feel less achey than usual today, and I made a point of pushing myself more than normal to see if I could tell the difference. Gonna buy a 10 pack for the next couple of weeks and see how it goes, tastes pretty nice as well.
  • Options
    As Icey said, the period of 20 mins immediately after exercising is a good time to consume some protein. The rate of amino acids incorporated into your muscles to repair them (and grow) is increased during this time. Whey protein in milk with a multi-vit should sort you out. It's better to have a good supply of slow-release carbs all day rather than relying on regular sugar kicks.
  • Options
    400ml full fat milk
    1 ripe banana
    2 heaped tablespoons of custard powder
    1 heaped tablespoon of sugar

Blend it, drink.