Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gary Glitter's coming home

He'll be deported to Britain on Tuesday: http://www.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idUSHAN21294020080814?feedType=RSS&feedName=entertainmentNews

Cue the inevitable demands that 'something be done about him'.

For what's worth I doubt he'll stay in Britain for long- he'd need bodyguards and bullet proof vests- and he'll likely piss off to another country where he can indulge in his little innocent hobby of raping kids. But unless the law was changed, I don't think he can be charged with anything here, can he?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Where's he going to get into though? He was kicked out of Cambodia (the first choice destination for anyone who's trying to prove that they're not a paedophile, and worried about the tabloids "setting him up" surely? :rolleyes:), and he's about to be kicked out of Vietnam. I can't imagine any country out of Europe taking him, and even those in Europe will only do so because it's the law. The Thais almost certainly won't allow him in. They've already got a big enough problem with child prostitution without needing the world's news descending on the country to highlight the problem in a high-profile case.

I don't know what can currently be done, but I think the law should allow the authorities to remove the passport of anyone who, as Gary Glitter clearly has, travelling to another country with the intention of committing a crime.
  • Options
    eurgh. Why cant they just fucking shoot him. He never learns his lesson
  • Options
    Maybe he can do a double-act tour with the other resident unrepentant singing nonce, Jonathan King.
  • Options
    He should be castrated, have all his hair shaved off, be tried to Nelsons Column, tarred, feathered then sent to live in a pointless hole measuring oil (think of the guy in the ships hold in Waterworld)

He will probably get 24 hour police protection and a house with blacked out windows facing a primary school.
    The thing that really annoys me about Gary Glitter is he has never showed any remorse at all and has not even said he wont do it again :|
  • Options
    pitchfork.jpg
  • Options
    He should ... have all his hair shaved off, ...

I think he is already bald. :)
  • Options
    He should be castrated, have all his hair shaved off, be tried to Nelsons Column, tarred, feathered then sent to live in a pointless hole measuring oil (think of the guy in the ships hold in Waterworld)
    What you're really advocating here (if you're real) is, on top of castration, the public torture and humiliation of tarring and feathering dating all the way back to the enlightened times of the 12th century, a gleeful worthwhile act used by such prestigious groups as the IRA and the KKK. By all means, get your torture-kicks somewhere (watch 'Hostel', for instance), but casting yourself in the light of those moral deities of goodness? Not fair, my friend.
    He will probably get 24 hour police protection and a house with blacked out windows facing a primary school.
    Yes. That is almost certainly what will happen.

Okay: raping children, I'm sure we can agree, is A Bad Thing. But the people who get so screamy and preachy about it are often so ridiculous, and in their own way A Bad Thing themselves, that the situation becomes...well, weird. Why do they feel the need to express, as loudly, as violently, and as often as possible, their desire for the violent humiliation, torture, death of these people? It's an issue for the law, but if anyone really thinks that doing these things will help in the long (or the short) run, besides the pleasure you get from imagining the bloody deeds, I say go and take matters into your own hands; tar, feather, use yer pitchforks, shoot yer guns, make the world a 'better place' with your rage. God knows the world needs a little rage right now.
  • Options
    It was a satirical comment, think ill have to work on that on message boards :p

And yeah i agree with the whole thing about the 'line em up and shoot em!!' brigade, maybe putting them on a boat and sailing them out to sea would be a good non violent solution? ^^
  • Options
    Do they contract out hanging in the UK? :D
  • Options
    Because if so, then I'll be first in the queue to hang him for free.
  • Options
    Can't they just put him on the plane and throw him out whilst they're going over international waters? The man deserves nothing more.
  • Options
    its so scary that they actually let people out to do this again and again
  • Options
    The law has been changed, the latest amendments to the sexual offences act mean you can be prosecuted for crimes comitted abroad, even if it isn't a crime in that country. However as he's already been prosecuted I don't know where he stands. Hopefully over a pit full of faeces coated pikes.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Can't they just put him on the plane and throw him out whilst they're going over international waters? The man deserves nothing more.

(((sharks)))
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Maybe he can do a double-act tour with the other resident unrepentant singing nonce, Jonathan King.

A remix of wanna be in my gang?

The reality is ...he'll be back here.
    The media will harass him for a few days then he'll be forgotten.
  • Options
    and then he'll find another little girl to rape
  • Options

he might or he might not. Fortunately or unfortunately British law says you can only be done for a crime you have committed, not those you may do in the future. He's served his sentence, so we can't then go and jail him indefinetly when he returns to these shores.
  • Options
    I think there is certainly a case for locking unrepentant serial sex offenders up to make sure they dont fucking do it again.

Its public safety!
  • Options
    I think there is certainly a case for locking unrepentant serial sex offenders up to make sure they dont fucking do it again.

Its public safety!

what about Islamic extremists, serial muggers, convicted fraudsters?

Where do you stop?
  • Options

Its public safety!

Give the government power to lock up people it thinks are dangerous indefinitely? You're obviously a lot more trusting than I am.
  • Options
    lock up people that have been proved to be dangerous indefinitely - yeah sure. people who have shown no remorse and people whove just done it again and again anyway.

do you REALLY think people like gary glitter should have freedom?
  • Options
    lock up people that have been proved to be dangerous indefinitely - yeah sure. people who have shown no remorse and people whove just done it again and again anyway.

To be fair you only have to look at the way governments tend to use extreme laws - start by locking up a couple of child abusers up indefinately and end by locking up 1000's of trade unionists or anti-war protestors or people of a certain ethnic origin.

For all the mistakes and problems a liberal system of law creates the dangers from the other side are far more terrible.

There is undoubtably a valid discussion about whether repeated serial sex abuse should possibily carry a life sentence without the possibility of release. But that person would need to actually commit the crime here for that to take effect.

He's a cunt, it's natural to be angry and to vent but I wouldn't want law based on anger or rage - in fact I'd want the opposite.
  • Options

And we have that right now, except they have to be convicted of something first.

Obviously I wouldn't shed a tear if Glitter fell in front of a bus, but I think a government who can lock people up who they think are dangerous is a lot more unsafe than allowing him freedom.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    start by locking up a couple of child abusers up indefinately and end by locking up 1000's of trade unionists or anti-war protestors or people of a certain ethnic origin.

Oh come on, thats a HUGE jump.Thats like saying
    start by putting some people in prison for raping and killing old ladies - the next thing you know we'll all be lined up and shot for not paying our Tv licence.

The government still needs to have powers to lock dangerous people up. Im not saying THOUGHT crimes. Im saying people who ARE serial offenders for crimes against people - extra vulnerable people.

Im not even saying dont give people a second chance. Im saying dont give them chance after chance after chance, or what the fucks the point in a justice system anyway? Surely its there to keep people safe as well as to punish, and its not as if the guy has ever shown any signs of being rehabilitated
  • Options
    If you're saying that sentencing should be based on the number of times someone has committed a crime I'd agree. However, if you're saying that once he's been sentenced and released we should just lock him up I don't.

After all its just a series of small steps - you start with child sex offenders, then all rapists, then anyone convicted of flashing, then muggers, then burgulars, then grafitti artists, then fox hunt supporters, etc, etc.
  • Options
    Im not even saying dont give people a second chance. Im saying dont give them chance after chance after chance, or what the fucks the point in a justice system anyway? Surely its there to keep people safe as well as to punish, and its not as if the guy has ever shown any signs of being rehabilitated

And that's exactly what happens, which is why the government brought in the indefinite detention.

But, there is a massive difference between convicting someone and putting them away for a very long time, and internment which is what you are suggesting.
  • Options

Unfortunatley your probably right.
  • Options
    If you're saying that sentencing should be based on the number of times someone has committed a crime I'd agree. However, if you're saying that once he's been sentenced and released we should just lock him up I don't.

After all its just a series of small steps - you start with child sex offenders, then all rapists, then anyone convicted of flashing, then muggers, then burgulars, then grafitti artists, then fox hunt supporters, etc, etc.

I don't intend to become a mugger or burgular, so I don't care if they're locked up forever. I think the most important responsibility of a society is to keep its vunerable people safe, I can't think of another reason for society's existence.
    I think people do have the right to earn a second and possibly third chance, but there has to be a point where we accept that they're not going to change, especially when children are having their lives destroyed.
  • Options
    I can understand people's frustrations but whilst maintaining how thoroughly disgusted and outraged you are at this man's actions then imagining and describing various torture methods Saw stylee does not elevate you as some sort of higher moral being.
  • Options
    I might be entirely wrong, but I think that the reason he hasn't expressed any regret or given any apology because he hasn't ever admitted to the crime? Hence why he wouldn't release an apology as that would be the same as an admittance?
    Not sure though!

On another note, is Glitter his real surname?