Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cost of a prescription for drugs

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Melian wrote: »
    My dad get his free as well, but it appears that everything is free for him.:confused:

She has lymph problem and needs/used to need (I cant remember now) certain support tights and she cant get them for free even on exemption as they cost so much, she only had to pay a normal prescription fee for each pair.
  • Options
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    I find it unfair when the system means if I go back to my GP for 2 more days supply of a drug, I end up paying £7.10 for 4 tablets- can be more than cost of manufacture them

A lot of anti-biotics are less than £7.10 aswell but thats just the way it goes.

An extra script even for just 1 tablet would have a new charge.
    The same drug, on separate pages would have 2 charges.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote: »
    A lot of anti-biotics are less than £7.10 aswell but thats just the way it goes.

An extra script even for just 1 tablet would have a new charge.
    The same drug, on separate pages would have 2 charges.

The system does make healthcare accessible though- a flat rate means no one pays anything exorbitant. And those on loads of pills can get, as other posters mention, the period certificate which means the chronic ill don't get overburdened financially. However, the flat rate cost of a prescription means a school leaver on the minimum wage pays the same amount as a high flying City executive. For the school leaver £7.10 is a lot of money and she may be looking for the spare cash to buy a present for mum's birthday. Whilst the high earner City worker, the cost of a prescription is peanuts and she is being unnecessarily subsidised by the State
  • Options
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    Whilst the high earner City worker, the cost of a prescription is peanuts and she is being unnecessarily subsidised by the State

It would be completely derailing the thread to continue this one much further, but the city high earner isn't really being subsidised by the state, they pay far more into the state in tax then they get back out in the subsidy on prescriptions.
  • Options
    It would be completely derailing the thread to continue this one much further, but the city high earner isn't really being subsidised by the state, they pay far more into the state in tax then they get back out in the subsidy on prescriptions.

:yes:

KiwiFruit - this really isn't a good road to go down, as you're talking rubbish.
  • Options
    It was in the news yesterday about cancer patients having to pay for prescriptions and i agree that its completely unfair. A lot have 3-4 different drugs (anti-emetics, steriods etc) on outpatient prescriptions and thats not even including pain relief.
    Yet someone with an underactive thyroid required 1 drug (levothyroxine) get all prescriptions for anything free.
    Whats the sense??