Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Oil a fossil fuel?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What evidence is there that oil is a fossil fuel?
Like it was supposedly created from rotting animals and vegetation.
It would take a lot of animals and veg to create that much oil surley and wouldn't it be almost everywhere?

Oil is not a fossil-fuel! NASA scientists are about to claim that. Yes, NASA scientists. New study shows methane on Saturn’s moon Titan not biological. Showing abundant methane of a non-biologic nature found on Saturn’s giant moon Titan, NASA scientists are about to publish conclusive studies. And this is a finding that validates a new book’s contention that oil is not a fossil fuel. “We have determined that Titan’s methane is not of biologic origin,” reports Hasso Niemann of the Goddard Space Flight Center, a principal NASA investigator responsible for the Gas Chromatograph Mass Spectrometer aboard the Cassini-Huygens probe that landed on Titan Jan. 14. While on the one hand, methane has been synthetically created in the laboratory, abiotic methane is abundantly found on Titan on the other, NASA confirms.

Yes it's a bit old ...2005 but what dya think?
http://www.spacescan.org/entry/methane-on-titan-is-abiotic-it-contradicts-fossil-fuel-theory/

Comments

• Options
    The article states that NASA are 'about to' make their statement about fossil fuel. Now that it is three years later and there has been no supporting information on the idea, I would guess that they have retracted the theory.
  • Options
    I think its pretty ridiculous, simply because if it didn't come from decomposing bio matter, where did it come from?
  • Options
    snowlizard wrote: »
    I think its pretty ridiculous, simply because if it didn't come from decomposing bio matter, where did it come from?
    Right

Plus even if its not who cares?
  • Options
    Rolly, I'm surprised you give credit to such crackpot theories.

Of course oil is a fossil fuel. There were vast amounts of forests populating most of the Earth hundreds of millions of years ago.
  • Options
    Given how little I really understand the process by which trees and other living things get turned into petrol oil could have been put there by aliens for all I care.
  • Options
    Forgive my ignorance on this subject, but if it wasn't a fossil fuel, what difference would it make? Surely it's still something that we are hugely relient on, that will eventually run out, and is largely provided by some rather dodgy regimes?
  • Options
    Here's a more indepth article on the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenic_petroleum_origin
  • Options
    So the basic view is - some methane could form this way but most of oil formed the traditional way?

Does sound like an excuse for massive expansions of speculative drilling for oil though
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »

Of course oil is a fossil fuel. There were vast amounts of forests populating most of the Earth hundreds of millions of years ago.

It may well be a crackpot idea i don't know.
    The idea was first put forward by Russian scientists in the 1930's.
    Not something i ever came across before just wondering what you folks might think about it.
    The theory is that oil is formed continualy from withinn the earths mantle.
    Have a look at these links ...it may well be mad i haven't a clue but some very respected scientists go along with this.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=46888

http://freeenergynews.com/Directory/Theory/SustainableOil/

http://www.rense.com/general67/oils.htm

Like i said i know nothing about this subject.
    I have never heard of this before but it is very interesting.
    IF ...it's true then depleted oil wells should eventualy replenish themselves:eek:
  • Options
    Yes, as Aladdin said, "There were vast amounts of forests populating most of the Earth hundreds of millions of years ago."

And over millions of years this gunge mouldered down into liquid which is why we can now buy it in crude form, otherwise known as Tate & Lyles Black Treacle. :yum:
  • Options
    IF ...it's true then depleted oil wells should eventualy replenish themselves:eek:

Yeah but presumably not in 50 years, more like 50 million...

The bigger issue seems to be the suggestion of much more oil could be around than previously thought, which may explain why countries in the middle east seem to be able to miraculously keep their total estimated oil amounts level despite pumping so much out... or they could be just writing whatever they want in the reports. Okam's razor time anyone?

Just don't let Bush see the report or he'll be jumping past Mars to try and set up pipelines running straight from Titan to Texas
  • Options
    more here http://www.gasresources.net/

make of it what you will but that site contains a fantastic demolition of the peak oilers methodology.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    The bigger issue seems to be the suggestion of much more oil could be around than previously thought, which may explain why countries in the middle east seem to be able to miraculously keep their total estimated oil amounts level despite pumping so much out... or they could be just writing whatever they want in the reports. Okam's razor time anyone?

The simplest explanation is probably more to do with better technology. Oil which was uneconomical to extract thirty years ago is economical now.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »

trees are coal ;)

oil and gas comes from dead sealife getting trapped under bedrock over millions of years
  • Options
    The simplest explanation is probably more to do with better technology. Oil which was uneconomical to extract thirty years ago is economical now.

Plus there was quite a bit which we didnt count before because it was really expensive to extract - Canada for example has a massive amount of oil but its trapped in sand so until the price went quite high it wasnt worth the bother of extracting it.
  • Options
    They are now drilling oil well below where there could ever have been life ...thats one of the main arguments by geoligists paleontolfists and such for oil not being fossil.
  • Options
    They are now drilling oil well below where there could ever have been life ...thats one of the main arguments by geoligists paleontolfists and such for oil not being fossil.

the reaches of life on this planet are vast, it extends to palces where the primary energy source is no longer the sun but deep sea smokers and sulphur