Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

need help - fluconazole

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i am currently suffering with a does of thrush, the clinic gave me canesten vaginal tablets (to insert) however as strange as this may sound i felt very uncomfortable with putting tablets down there, so instead i thought i'd try an alternative which was the canesten oral tablet, howver when i went to the chemist the lady said they had an alternative to canesten oral which was the fluconazole she said it has the same effect as the canesten it was just cheaper, so i i thought i would try it. i took it this morming and since taking it my trush symptoms appear to be getting worse. 1) has anyone else ever taken flluconazole capsule? 2) did you have any side effect? 3) did the tablet work? 4) how long did it take to work?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Canesten is a(expensive) brand of fluconazole.(she probabably saved you £4-5).
    Ive never used it myself, but its usually pretty effective. i think it takes a day or 2 to work and i dont think there are usually any awful side-effects but read the info leaflet and itll tell you what they are.
    It may be just coincidence that after taking the capsule, your symptoms felt worse and that its not because of the capsule.
    The only thing with the oral capsule is that doesnt provide instant relief. If you want something to releive the discomfort the external cream may help as its applied directly. Its the Canesten thrush cream, or the cheaper unbranded version is clotrimazole 2% cream.