Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Firelighters - poison?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
About 7pm my mum and I had a BBQ. We later on toasted marshmallows over the flames which were left, and my Mum added firelighters to the top and set them alight. I later licked my finger, and got a taste of firelighter. My mam had the same thing. It sounds ridiculous, but do you think this might poison us at all? I feel fine right now like, just a bit panicky because I'm worrying about this :nervous:

Comments

• Options
    If it was only a small amount I doubt it would do you loads of harm but I'd visit A&E to be on the safe side.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    If it was only a small amount I doubt it would do you loads of harm but I'd visit A&E to be on the safe side.
    I wouldnt waste their time tbh, theyve probably got bigger things to deal with than someone who's licked the taste of something off their finger.
    Theres probably every chance it could be poisonous, but i doubt it would make any difference at the scale you've ingested it.. Just keep an eye out, if you both start being violently sick or feel faint or something then check it out. But i wouldnt worry too much
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Did you pour the firelighter on the marshmallows? The post doesn't say clearly what you did.
  • Options
    Doubt it. You probably had some trace of the chemical.
  • Options
    Are your firelighters white and break off with a light snap, are they elongated? If so they are likely to contain kerosine that is not poisonous but the firelighter would, if eaten give you a pretty bad stomach ache and make you barf up. My gf tells me kerosine is otherwise known as paraffin in the UK, almost the same smell.

I wouldn't worry unduly for licking your finger after touching a firelighter. At the very worst you might morph into a Muppet. ;)

Best,
    Poppi
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Don't visit A&E. It's not an emergency and you'll waste their time.
    You should be fine, if you're really worried visit your GP.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I later licked my finger, and got a taste of firelighter. My mam had the same thing. It sounds ridiculous, but do you think this might poison us at all?:

I'm assuming you had very little on your finger for you to lick off, so I wouldn't worry.

Just drink plenty of fluids for now, if you are worried and see how you feel in the morning. :)
  • Options
    Ok, thanks everyone :)
    Feel fine today so suppose it hasn't had any effect and probably won't do any serious damage!!
  • Options
    About 7pm my mum and I had a BBQ. We later on toasted marshmallows over the flames which were left, and my Mum added firelighters to the top and set them alight. I later licked my finger, and got a taste of firelighter. My mam had the same thing. It sounds ridiculous, but do you think this might poison us at all? I feel fine right now like, just a bit panicky because I'm worrying about this :nervous:

Usually you bbq on the heat and not on the flames, unless your going for the Burger King flame grilled taste ;)
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Usually you bbq on the heat and not on the flames, unless your going for the Burger King flame grilled taste ;)

if you stick marshmellows into the flames so they're slightly 'flamegrilled' they taste scrumptious :yes: