Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Knowing people on TheSite in real life

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know this may come out a bit wrong or whatever but I'm getting so fed up of it.

I'm dating wheresmyplacebo. As some of you may know, he was previously seeing Twisted_Trinity. That's all fine and well, except for several reasons we have a very strained relationship with each other. They know that this is my username on here, and I know I could change it but, I'd still know who they were and it makes me feel very uncomfortable posting my problems on here, or in fact even visiting this site, especially when I have problems relating to my relationships with either of them.

Anyway, this weekend the two of them are going on holiday with some friends without me. Partly because my 'rents no-goed it, and partly because it was originally going to be wheresmyplacebo and his 2 best mates. Then one of the mate's girlfriends joins in, and then so does TT.

This doesn't best please me, not least because of an indiscretion between them when I first started seeing him.

I was just about keeping things together until I saw TT's post about going away with him. Seeing as she A) Knows full well how I feel about this and B) Knows I'm a member on here, I would've thought she would've had the decency not to wave it in my face here.

Would just like to know how other people cope with knowing people IRL as well as on TheSite. Thought I'd try to keep this thread having a point instead of going into a personal rant. I'm saving that for the counsellor I'm going to try to see because like I said, my problems aren't safe here.

xXx

Comments

• Options
    No comment whatsoever about the situation with your boyfriend and the ex. However, I can already see this thread getting closed in a few hours from now.

I know a few people off TheSite in real life, and it's never caused any problems before. I see no real reason why it should either.
  • Options
    I know a fair few people off here in real life as well.

One of my closest friends is from here, but we dont talk about certain things on/off here (PM's are a godsend sometimes)
  • Options
    I went to school with a couple of them, and I am engaged to another one. I also have made a lot of close friendships with people from here.

There are certain things I don't post about in case people see them who I don't want to, but not many tbh.
  • Options
    To be fair to TT, I've read her post just now, and while it's quite cutting for you because of past issues, there's nothing there that really suggests she's waving it in your face, there was a question that someone asked and she responded. Had she started a thread of her own saying what she was going to be doing for the weekend and how much fun it will be and a bit of wink wink, then I'd think that would be crossing quite a line.

You might not like what I'm saying, but I think whatever is going on, or whatever has gone on, it's sometimes better to deal with, with your partner as a team, than bringing a third party back into it. I don't know the other side to the story and I don't like talking about people as if they're not there, but TT is not in a relationship with you and wheresmyplacebo and it might be worth discussing the boundaries you both want to set i.e. either going on holidays together with ex-partners/lovers etc or not at all if it's going to be this difficult for you. Yes, she's going on holiday with him, but he has also made the choice to go on holiday with her. Works both ways. Hope you find some resolution either way :)

I know a few people from the site, keep in contact with g_angel mostly. I deal with it by living on the other side of the river :D
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    No comment whatsoever about the situation with your boyfriend and the ex. However, I can already see this thread getting closed in a few hours from now.

I thought as much myself. I knew I shouldn't post things on here as it wouldn't be productive. Glad it works well for other people knowing people on and off TheSite.

This is probably my last ever post, so bye.

xXx
  • Options
    Back to your point of posting . . .

I don't know anyone off here in real life. I find it a wierd and for me, personally a difficult concept to grasp as I use this forum as my escape and in particular, a few people on here who I text/msn/email/pm etc. I need to get a lot better in myself before I have the strength and self confidence to meet these people in real life. Although one day, I will.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    TT is not in a relationship with you and wheresmyplacebo and it might be worth discussing the boundaries you both want to set i.e. either going on holidays together with ex-partners/lovers etc or not at all if it's going to be this difficult for you.

i agree with this, its reasonable
  • Options
    I don't know anyone IRL, just a few who read my LJ but that's it. Don't text or talk to anyone on msn and it's probably best kept that way tbh. But yeah, this is a situation you need to deal with tbh. I don't think anyone would be happy with their partner going on holiday with an ex, even if it is with others. But we can't comment really because we dont know the details. Well I don't anyway.
  • Options
    I'm sorry that Triggergirl posted what she did because though her writing obviously came from the heart it wasn't constructive neither helpful to the parties concerned to go public with it. Just my opinion, that is all and nothing personal intended. Nevertheless, I sincerely hope she stays and tries to find a way forward. :)

I have already a good, full and satisfying relationship with friends I already know IRL without wishing to become involved with anyone on this board, or, at least until I get to know them very thoroughly indeed. This is because IRL I am a deeply shy person and would embarrass and probably dismay the other person for running away at being met. And because of my immaturity, irresponsibility and stupidity a couple of years ago in meeting someone off the internet and what ensued, I am not a trusting person.

Poppi
  • Options
    I can only imagine that being quite difficult for you.

I've met a couple of the finest dudes from here who lives close to me, but we aint that close, that would cause problems on here. Never say never, but don't think I would like any of my partners/friends to know I post on here - as I like being able to vent here about somethings, I may not want them to know about.

So I hope things get better for you and try and discuss it more with your bf. Like a couple people already suggested :)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    This is all too close to home. Whilst this place is good for advice, in this situation if you need help the PM system is the best.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I lived with a member of TheSite last year. She somehow recognised me and we met at the LGBT society at uni. :)
  • Options
    I'm sorry that Triggergirl posted what she did because though her writing obviously came from the heart it wasn't constructive neither helpful to the parties concerned to go public with it. i

i dunno, sometimes you really need to get things like this out in the open. i hope everyone now knows how each other feels about it and noones just assuming anything anymore. I think the area of staying friends with exes is a bit of a minefield and it would take an incredibly laid back person to just be fine with their partner going on holiday with an ex but without them.
  • Options
    I hope things sort themselves out for you TriggerGirl, though next time it may be best to rant to friends or just out of the way so everyone else can see. I know emotions often take over the sense of when to hold your tongue. *hugs*

And I'm friends with a handful of people from here, but as they are over in the UK ... I will be friends with them IRL when I go over next year ;)
  • Options
    I know a few from in here.
  • Options
    Thank you. I had a feeling that it wouldn't come out well but I felt like I couldn't just sit here any more. Last night was tough but we'll just see how today goes. I will admit though, as much as I'd like my friends to use this site if they have problems they wanna talk about, I'd rather not know it was them, if that makes sense.

xXx
  • Options
    I know people of here but not really any close friends I see regularly if you know what I mean. Met some people at one or two site meets.

I personally find it a bit awkward because on here I like to just open up about issues and I'm finding more these days (although, I tend to just ignore my feelings :p) that I feel like I can't so much because of other people reading and how it may or may not make them feel.

It's all very well when its just friendly and chatty but its when like in your case it does start getting personal that there becomes a bigger and bigger conflict.
  • Options
    No offence but theres not a chance in hell I'd meet anyone IRL. This is my escape.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I know people of here but not really any close friends I see regularly if you know what I mean. Met some people at one or two site meets.

I personally find it a bit awkward because on here I like to just open up about issues and I'm finding more these days (although, I tend to just ignore my feelings :p) that I feel like I can't so much because of other people reading and how it may or may not make them feel.

It's all very well when its just friendly and chatty but its when like in your case it does start getting personal that there becomes a bigger and bigger conflict.

I agree. I did meet up IRL with someone from here and we dated a short while but now I find it preferable that people I know IRL on a day to day basis don't see what I post. Like someone other people said before I see it more as an escape. Rightly or wrongly I think I'm more open here than elsewhere and sometimes I go back and read an old post and find it embarassing. Although at the time that is how I was truely feeling.

Even though the people on this message board are amazing at giving advice if I had my boyfriend or someone like that on here I would probably find another messageboard to post any problems on and just talk generally bollox on here.

Anyway I hope things work out for you. I've had arguements with people from here about stuff in real life and it's mostly because we all have our wires crossed! So I definitely think it's good you got things out in the open :)
  • Options
    IRL?

I'm so dozy I know :p
  • Options
    in real life :p
  • Options
    IRL?

I'm so dozy I know :p

In Real Life
  • Options
    in real life :p

D'oh!! Excuse m'moi. I never could keep up with all the abbreviations :lol:
  • Options
    i'm mates with someone who posts on here. which does make me think twice about posting certain things on here. (no offence if you're reading this. but i'm sure it's even worse from your point-of-view). i guess if i had something i needed to post on here, she'd be one of the people i'd talk to about it anyway, so :/
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »

Same here. And I learnt the hard way to be careful what I do post on here.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I did meet up IRL with someone from here and we dated a short while

We're married for gods sake! :p

I've met loads of people off here (more than I can actually count) and I'm good friends with lots of them. I dont have any real issues discussing my problems on here.

Airing dirty laundry on here is never good though.
  • Options
    How could I forget :heart:

And I disagree :P I don't think she made this post to cause hassle.
  • Options
    How could I forget :heart:

And I disagree :P I don't think she made this post to cause hassle.
    Me either. I think she made it because she had a real issue and tbh I think it's a fair one.

I don't understand why everyone is saying she shouldn't have posted it, just because it is about regular posters? Fair enough maybe mentioning names wasn't a good idea but they both would have known it was her anyway.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    In Real Life
    Kind of irrelevant here, but I hate that expression. The people here are real (most anyway) and the conversations that take place here are real too. So which part of here isn't "real life"? All that's different is the medium of communication.
  • Options
    Kind of irrelevant here, but I hate that expression. The people here are real (most anyway) and the conversations that take place here are real too. So which part of here isn't "real life"? All that's different is the medium of communication.

Everyone behind their screen is real - yes. And I don't doubt that its real emotions behind the words posted here, and that real friendships come about from places like this. Not at all. Places like this are what people make of them, definitely.
    But it is diferent from what happens away from the screen. This is artificial. You are here cause you chose to. It's less spontanious and impulsive than even going for a walk in broad daylight with a friend in the neighborhood. I do find it important to keep that distinction.
This discussion has been closed.