Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Look what I made! (dead chuffed)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Woohoo! One red mitten! Knitted on flat needles and sewn up on the side. The colour is pillarbox red rather than orangy as it looks in the photo, and they're quite fitted although the photo makes them look massive! (think its cos of my skinny wrists)

Anyway I'm dead pleased with myself as its the only proper thing I've ever knitted, except an ipod cover lol. The thumbs are a bit of a funny shape because I didn't use a pattern and just kinda made it up as I went along! I've never done increases before either so I'm feeling a bit clever!

Also thanks a million to Randomgirl for helping me understand how to do ribbing - I finally got it!

Just gotta do the other one now!

Comments

• Options
    Horray! Nice one :D
    Really impressed that you did the pattern yourself! I could never imagine doing that. It would just end up a square :p
  • Options
    LOL that's why the thumbs are a bit robot-ish. The pattern is very forgiving though, the two halves were completely different sizes but once they're sewn up you can't tell. I just kept holding them against my hand! When I make the next pair I'll make the bottom a bit longer cos they're quite short, and probably sew the thumbs on separately. I keep showing it to everyone and trying it on!

The yarn was 50p for 100g and I've barely made a dent in it so a bargain too!
  • Options
    That's brilliant, well done!!

And don't knock ipod covers, it was the first sucessful thing I made!
  • Options
    T
    And don't knock ipod covers, it was the first sucessful thing I made!

Me too :D I keep wearing the one mitten round the house and randomly admiring it. My boyfriend thinks I'm mad and his friend is here lol
  • Options
    They're really nice, Kangoo. Well made, well done. You must be proud. :)
  • Options
    Yay! I love seeing other people's completed items. There's nothing wrong with an iPod cover, most of my projects are scarves, bookmarks and similar. My next project is adventurous though, I plan to get the wool and cast it on within the next few weeks so even if I muck it up and have to redo him it'll be done in time for Christmas: http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper/who/extermaknit.html
  • Options
    Acrobat wrote: »
    Yay! I love seeing other people's completed items. There's nothing wrong with an iPod cover, most of my projects are scarves, bookmarks and similar. My next project is adventurous though, I plan to get the wool and cast it on within the next few weeks so even if I muck it up and have to redo him it'll be done in time for Christmas: http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper/who/extermaknit.html

WOW thats so cool! I might try one!
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    That's funky :)

And Ravelry. :yes:
  • Options
    well done on the mitten! That's neat :D It's so much fun creating something yourself. Good luck with the other one!

Socks and mittens are something I haven't dared do myself yet, I've done a sweater though, hehe.
  • Options
    How was that? I'm scared to try any clothing. Do you just continually try it on as you knit to make sure it is sizing up right?
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote: »
    well done on the mitten! That's neat :D It's so much fun creating something yourself. Good luck with the other one!

Socks and mittens are something I haven't dared do myself yet, I've done a sweater though, hehe.

You've done a sweater :crazyeyes Well done you! Mittens are so easy though. I made another one on holiday with the thumb separately and sewn on (after 3 prototype thumbs). Pictards soon!