Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Kidney Stones

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well after about a year it seems that they have finally worked out what has been causing me discomfort in my side... I have a kidney stone!

I have an appointment with a Urologist on Friday but wanted to know if any of you have experienced kidney stones? I am presuming that as I have had the discomfort for so long they aren't going to just wait and see if it sorts itself out and passes naturally.

I have read that there are a number of different ways to get rid of it which are very modern and non-invasive - does anyone have any experience of these?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Options
    The mum of one of my family members had a kidney stone and she had an operation to remove it. On seeing your post I asked her and she's given me this to tell you.

The surgeon used a minute device that grabbed the stone, held it fast, then lasered it in a millionth of a second. And painlessly, too. The surgeon was a Dr Watson who operated on her at Eastbourne district general hospital and this was way back about 4 years ago. The operation was done on a general anaesthetic. The surgeon inserted his device into her Urethra. This device he designed and patented himself some years ago.

The operation was done on the NHS.

She says if you are a guy, then the device would be inserted in your dick and go up the urethra in much about the same way. It is possible a Catheter would be used at some point.

If you get to be in more pain or suddenly I strongly suggest you get to A&E as soon as possible. That's all I can give you. Hope it helps.

Best,
    Poppi
  • Options
    Thanks for this information Poppi, I am female :)

Doubt the pain will increase as it has just been nagging and uncomfortable for nearly a year - slightly annoyed as I had an ultrasound very early on into the investigation and nothing was picked up... it is possible it was smaller then but not particularly happy I have had to have so many scans/procedures etc which have come up with nought and that the cause could have been picked up much earlier!

I guess the treatment will depend on the size and type of stone - will have to wait and see what happens on Friday!
  • Options
    They could have been that small that they were unable to pick them up. It is possible to pass stones when you wee, especially if they are small enough not to cause any discomfort.
  • Options
    You're welcome, Splodgey. Lovely name, too. :)