Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Virgin Broadband

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone know if Virgin make a good broadband package? I may not be able to reply back here for a couple of days or so as I am still on the road.

Best,
Poppi :)

Comments

• Options
    Virgin is your main option if:
    - you don't have a phone line
    - you don't have access to a phone line
    - you don't want to get a landline phone and i.e. just use mobile.

Virgin runs on cable which is a bit more expensive than ADSL (which most people use), but you'll be saving from not paying BT's set-up fee for the phone line and you're obviously not having to pay their £9/month line rental.

If you're nomadic, then you best seek one of the mobile providers - just ask at any of the major mobile phone stores. They give you a a USB stick, not dissimilar to a wireless adapter, but instead of looking for routers, you are online all the time, as long as you have a mobile signal. Prices are around about the same as Virgin's, at £25/month. I believe that speeds are broadband speeds i.e. 4mbit or 8mbit, but you're limited to about 7 gb transfer per month.
  • Options
    My parents have Virgin broadband (back when it was Blueyonder) and it's good, but we've had one or two minor issues with it.
  • Options
    Both of you thank you very much for your input. My family and I are taking up with Virgin soon but they can not install until 4th August. Bleh >_< means I'll be having to use internet caffs until then.

We'll be doing to XL (extra large) 20 Mb broadband and I think on their firbre optic cables. Not too sure about this yet. And their TV which again will be 'XL' for umm, I think it was 140 channels as we have to buy a decent TV now we've got a flat and settled in minus the broadband.

Best and many thanks again,
    Poppi
  • Options
    TV = sky

The broadband on the other hand, depends on the speeds you want. :)

EDIT

If you sign up using one of the 'Recommend a friends' you could get a free sky+ Box!
  • Options
    I use virgin, if you live in London, they have a lot of downtime.
  • Options
    Virgin send you letter I believe for file sharing

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/03/virgin_letters_numbers/
  • Options
    I have been with Virgin for many years, I have a BT line. So far so good..in over 5 years, no problems touch wood!
  • Options
    I think with Sky, (from what the Virgin engineer asid) you can only record one programme and watch another at once. With Virgin, you can record two programmes and watch another. I think the Virgin box has more space for recording stuff.

You do get something (vouchers?) if you ecommend a friend to Virgin as well.
  • Options
    Sky + lets you record alot at one time, so he's lied to you to get you to signup. Not to mention, there is always On demand.
  • Options
    They can't track you without telling you, or even at all, it breeches your privacy. Not to mention, they can't track you without putting your bill up, and not every packet, it's impossible to track every sent and received packet.
  • Options
  • Options
    Yes, I've already read that, but it's impossible.
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    I use virgin, if you live in London, they have a lot of downtime.

Both myself and a close friend are with virgin and we've certainly not had long periods of down time, occasionally my modem goes a bit odd, but I think thats more my crappy computer than anything else and it only doesnt work for 15 mins or so.

As for the V+ Box, its a fucking wonder, record two programmes while still watching one you recorded previously, plus there is loads of shows to watch on demand.
  • Options
    Sky + lets you record alot at one time, so he's lied to you to get you to signup. Not to mention, there is always On demand.

As far as I know, Sky+ has dual tuners. This means you can record two channels and watch something already saved, or watch one and record one.

You can't watch or record more channels than you have tuners. It's a non-debateable fact. Anyway, this thread was asking about Virgin... which offer a great package, even if Sky has better TV and EPG.
  • Options

I've got sky+, its got two tuners. So you can 'watch' two channels, record one or both. I think what accessdenied is saying is that with virgin it has three tuners.
  • Options
    Budda said:

"As for the V+ Box, its a fucking wonder, record two programmes while still watching one you recorded previously, plus there is loads of shows to watch on demand."

Thanks for that. I ordered a V+ today. :)

many thanks everyone for your encouragements.

Best,
    Poppi
  • Options
    We've just signed up for Virgin Broadband on the basis that Orange are shit.

I spoke to their customer service last night and had to stop myself from bursting in to laughter when one of their blatantly east Asian operators answered as "Hello, Dave Smith speaking, how may I insist?"
  • Options
    Thanks for that. I ordered a V+ today. :)

many thanks everyone for your encouragements.

Best,
    Poppi

Branson might be a bit of a show off git, but he's not Murdock. You are wise to reject Sky and all it stands for.
  • Options
    This morning took me ages to get connected to Virgin, but it's going well and our HD TV is absolutely amazing!

Initially we thought the broadband package was only going to be 20 Mbps. But we're running 100, and it's great! :)

Poppi
  • Options
    They're still trialling 50Mbps connections so it won't be running at 100 ;)
  • Options
    Initially we thought the broadband package was only going to be 20 Mbps. But we're running 100, and it's great! :)

Poppi

That might be your network speed, not your internet speed :)

100mbps :yum:
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote: »
    That might be your network speed, not your internet speed :)

100mbps :yum:

Isnt South Korea the only country with speeds like this?
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Isnt South Korea the only country with speeds like this?
    Do they have optical connections up to the door there?
  • Options
    Flys along, CoolMe. Whatever - I'm just romping along. :)
  • Options
    Do they have optical connections up to the door there?

I think so, I remember hearing something on the radio a while ago saying that they have virtually done away with hard drives there, everything is stored on your own bit of a server because its so fast.
  • Options
    If you google for 'bandwidth test', you can try one of several tests that will verify that you have 20 mbit.

I know where you got the '100' from though. It's that symbol with two computer screens down in the taskbar sat by the clock. When you hover your mouse over it, it will pop up with a speech bubble with something like "connected at 100 mbit/s".
  • Options
    Yep, Monserrat you're right. Oh well, never mind. I'll try google tomorrow on it. Nice TV viewing though. Nice TV anyway.