Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How easy is it to earn £20,400 a year?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
very easy!

My cousin has never had a job and doesnt even go out looking for any which he lives in a big city with plenty of jobs going about. He is now married again with a wife that does nothing.

As they have no job, and a child to support they get over £1000 a month from the goverment (i get paid £900 working 40 hours a week for a month!) to live on.

I then got a email today that the goverment have now decided to pay all of their rent in a new flat (where as im paying rent to my mum for my room) which i quote "we are so happy theyre paying"

The other day a family member offered them some items for the baby, nothing wrong with it and then they replied with "no we dont need that, Mr. Brown brought us some new ones"

They are getting paid well over £1700+ a month to live, im sure some of you dont even earn that (£20,400+ a year)

which makes me really really mad, why do i have to pay my taxes for them to live a better life than me, have fun when i/you are hard at work.

They wont look for a job, why should they when they are getting all this money?

but

The goverment doesnt know that he is co-own's a small business (dont know his profit) which makes him even more money atop of his £1700+ that he doesnt tell the goverment/taxman (so they can keep paying him)

How can i tell the authorities what he is really doing? how would a 'anonymous' person find out?

Comments

• Options
    HMRC, first point of call i'd say they deal with the majority of benifits, and its people like this who piss me off, I work 40hours a week and support a family of 3 on it, he does fuck all and is scum tbh
  • Options
    You can't really do anything about government funded flats or social benefits such as child support, neither about friends, family or others giving them money or other support.

However, I'd suspect you can contact the authorities about any unregistered income, such as profit from running a business. Not stating your total income to the taxation office is illegal in most western countries.

Whatever you do, I'd check out the legislation around this before doing anything to be absolutely sure.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I don't think the amount is something to get upset over.
    That's £20,400 between the two of them, and they have to look after a baby.

Some famillies are rightly entilted to such benifits because some poeple are unabale to work. If it's just because you cousin is work shy and lazy then that's wrong but not everybody claimin benifits is.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
  • Options
    Would you ratr they were out on the streets adn starved to death or something? And do you honestly know their full circumstances?

£1000 a month for a family of 3 with a new baby doesn't go far.
  • Options
    I have to say whilst I support the benefits system in theory I also personally feel as the OP that people should support themselves unless there is a significant reason they can't.

You can report benefit fraud here: http://www.dwp.gov.uk/campaigns/benefit-thieves/

But tbh, I wouldn't - he's family afterall. I have friends and family who also do certain dubious practices but I would never say anything. *shrug*

Peculiarly, my mum had her widow's pension stopped because my sister went on an apprenticeship for £80 week (or £2 an hour). Was that supposed to feed the family? She spent it all on cigarrettes and booze - and fair play to her, I wouldn't expect a 17 year old to provide food for her family. We just all chip in.

But then there are some who have plenty for one reason or another, and still get money out of the system, which inevitably all they need to spend it on is luxuries that the typical hard working person cannot afford.
  • Options
    They are getting paid well over £1700+ a month to live, im sure some of you dont even earn that (£20,400+ a year)

No useful contribution, but the pedant in me wants to point out that if you earn £20,400 a year, because of tax, you actually only get about £1300 take-home pay. To get £1700 a month your salary would have to be more like £27,000 pa.
  • Options
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    I don't think the amount is something to get upset over.
    That's £20,400 between the two of them, and they have to look after a baby.

Im sorry Including Tax credits after working 40hours a week I get around 17-18K a year which is more than enough, 20K a year i'd be fucking laughing.

and I do not get any help towards my housing, only

Working/Child Tax credit and Child benifit.

the fact that hes getting 20K a year plus housing help is fucking sick considering the way the OP puts it foward (i may be wrong) the guys to bone idol to work

Why should some lazy fucker get all this stuff for nothing when i save, work so many hours in a shit arse job with what i thought ALOT of help from the Goverment (bout 4-5K a year help) when people can get away with doing fuck all for 20k.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Im sorry Including Tax credits after working 40hours a week I get around 17-18K a year which is more than enough, 20K a year i'd be fucking laughing.

and I do not get any help towards my housing, only

Working/Child Tax credit and Child benifit.

the fact that hes getting 20K a year plus housing help is fucking sick considering the way the OP puts it foward (i may be wrong) the guys to bone idol to work

Why should some lazy fucker get all this stuff for nothing when i save, work so many hours in a shit arse job with what i thought ALOT of help from the Goverment (bout 4-5K a year help) when people can get away with doing fuck all for 20k.

Just a quick one - 40 hours a week is hardly major worked-to-the-bone hours, is it?
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    Just a quick one - 40 hours a week is hardly major worked-to-the-bone hours, is it?

He never said it was

The point is the guy who is doing fuck all is earning more
  • Options
    toutin cunt

dont see why you give a fuck, you're still gonna get taxed whatever your bein taxed whether or not he's abusin the system

touts out!:crazyeyes
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    He never said it was

The point is the guy who is doing fuck all is earning more

Yes he did:
    work so many hours in a shit arse job

I agree though - it's fucking out of order. I detest spongers and wouldn't have any problems reporting any. I just don't know any.
  • Options
    So many hours isn't claming worked to the bone.

It's the longer end of standard full time hours, and if I was working those for less than someone was getting off the governement for doing nothing I'd be pisssed off.
  • Options
    So many hours isn't claming worked to the bone.

It's the longer end of standard full time hours, and if I was working those for less than someone was getting off the governement for doing nothing I'd be pisssed off.

Lol - nah, I was being over-dramatic :D

It isn't a lot of hours though, unless compared to zero, then yes it is.
  • Options
    It's more than a lot of standard full time contracts....

Most of mine have been 37.5 hour ones, a whole extra 30 mins a day :p
  • Options
    just because its not tons of hours doesn't mean its not a fucking exhausting job, specially when alot of the times I finish at 11pm and start work at 06.30 the next morning, with my son in between that, doing my lil bit (not alot) for the community, and still manage to spend time helping over people out, while he does F**K all its a disgrace.

it just grinds my gears that cunts like this get away with it, and i will use that word as anyone doing what this person is, i dont care i'd still be paying the same tax, thats not what bothers me, its WHY SHOULD I pay this tax or work when these other fuckers get away with it, the Goverment need to get there finger our there own arses and stop worrying bout claiming expenses for a limo to take there dog for a tax payers funded pedicure and doggy bath and stop these dick heads from getting a free ride

either that or give me a licence to kill the twats
  • Options
    It's more than a lot of standard full time contracts....

Most of mine have been 37.5 hour ones, a whole extra 30 mins a day :p

Oh, I can feel the stress related heart attack building as I type ;)

My contracts are almost always based on an 8 hour working day (or a 'Professional working day' - with 8 hours being a guideline figure), although at the moment I seem to be putting in 50-70 hours as one of my team members is off with Typhoid (ouch!!). Been over two months now, poor kid.
  • Options
    just because its not tons of hours doesn't mean its not a fucking exhausting job, specially when alot of the times I finish at 11pm and start work at 06.30 the next morning, with my son in between that, doing my lil bit (not alot) for the community, and still manage to spend time helping over people out, while he does F**K all its a disgrace.

Shift work can be a pain.

Still, there is always the option of getting another job if the current one doesn't suit. Up to you, really.

As said, I don't like spongers and so I would grass him up without a second thought.
  • Options
    Really my god, because I actually though there wernt that many jobs here.
  • Options
    Really my god, because I actually though there wernt that many jobs here.

There are always jobs. You just have to find them :)
  • Options
    Getting £20,000 year for a family of 3 isn't much. But to have your rent paid for you on top of that, tbh it pisses me off. I don't begrudge money to people who can't work, but people who won't work because they can't be arsed piss me off no end.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Getting £20,000 year for a family of 3 isn't much. But to have your rent paid for you on top of that, tbh it pisses me off. I don't begrudge money to people who can't work, but people who won't work because they can't be arsed piss me off no end.

:yes:
  • Options
    Sorry but it is, I pay on 17K a year

Mortgage atm soon rent (same price)
    Council Tax
    Car finance
    Insurance
    Food
    Utilities
    Live insurance
    Baby

3 extra k is quiet a bit
  • Options
    Sorry but it is, I pay on 17K a year

Mortgage atm soon rent (same price)
    Council Tax
    Car finance
    Insurance
    Food
    Utilities
    Live insurance
    Baby

3 extra k is quiet a bit

It isn't, unless somebody is also having their rent paid for them. As was said.

Why are you changing from a mortgage to renting?
  • Options
    For all you lot know, the £20k could include rent. Why are you lot so bloody judgemental? None of you know this guy's situation. Has it occured to any of you that the husband and wife have a good reason not to work?

Also, would you lot be saying the same thing if the child was disabled?
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »

Actually, changed my mind. It depends, as the situation is completely different. Your point is void.
  • Options
    Having a disabled child is no reason for both parents just to be sitting on their arse claiming benefits.

How fucking narrow minded.:rolleyes: Do you honestly know hard it can be for parents to look after a disabled child? Especially when the illness is serious or there's more than one child?
  • Options
    How fucking narrow minded.:rolleyes: Do you honestly know hard it can be for parents to look after a disabled child? Especially when the illness is serious or there's more than one child?

Lol - I changed my mind before you posted ;) Your point is still void.
  • Options
    For all you lot know, the £20k could include rent. Why are you lot so bloody judgemental? None of you know this guy's situation. Has it occured to any of you that the husband and wife have a good reason not to work?

Going by the OP he doesn't bother look for work, READ the post, hes a scumbag. even his cousin admits this.

There are VERY little reason for both parents NOT to work and dont you think if there was a valid reason the orig poster would have mentioned it 8-) dumbass