Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

maternity and paternity leave....

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    So in Wheresmyplacebo's world, fathers would be allowed to stay home for up to one year after the birth of a child. What a strange view. I see little reason for the father to be at home for that length of time. Don't get me wrong - I've nothing against bonding with new-born babies, indeed, I've become an uncle recently myself - but one whole year for this purpose? The bloke will just end up bored!

This is one of few cases where this country's laws have got it right.

Idiot

Why would the father be any more bored than the mother at home looking after the baby? You say there's little reason for the father to be at home? To look after their children maybe? Many dads want to bond with their children. Not all mothers want to stay at home to look after the children. There's also financial reasons, if the mother is on higher pay.

In my view the law is out of date. Its from times where men would have 2 weeks off to help while the mother is recovering and then off they go back to work and have little more to do with the baby. Times have changed, men are much more involved nowadays. Paternity leave should reflect that
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It doesn't add anything to total amount of leave, so i can't see why the parents can't decide between them (perhaps with some protection to the employer so they have to decide in advance - not a week before).

in reality I assume in most cases it would work out that the woman takes the full (or almost full amount). Carrying a baby around for nine months and then several hours of trying to push it out through a small hole takes it out of you.