Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gifts on dates

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm invited on a date at a guy's place and I started wondering if I should bring some sort of gift with me.

I feel kinda weird about showing up empty handed as it's at his home. I wouldn't bring anything if it were at a restaurant or any other 'neutral' place, but while I feel it'd only be polite to show up at a friend's place with some sort of gift I am not sure if it really is appropriate on what is technically a first date? I barely know the guy and we've only met once before.

What are your opinions or experiences?

Comments

• Options
    Is it dinner? Bottle of wine would be the obvious thing to take if you're doingr round for a meal.
  • Options
    Is it dinner? Bottle of wine would be the obvious thing to take if you're doingr round for a meal.

:yes: Exactly what I would have said.
  • Options
    He hasn't really said what his plans are but wanted a 'proper date' and I know he enjoys cooking so I'm assuming it's dinner. :)

A bottle of wine is something I had thought of, I think I should bring one. I don't feel entirely comfortable with him making all the effort only for me to show up empty handed.
  • Options
    I'd rarely go round to someones for a proper meal without taking a bottle of wine.....

Is it at dinner time? Probably should try and find out if it's dinner or not, be a shame to be hungry all evening if it's not, likewise don't want to have already eaten if it is.
  • Options
    Is it at dinner time? Probably should try and find out if it's dinner or not, be a shame to be hungry all evening if it's not, likewise don't want to have already eaten if it is.

Agreed - very important to find this out!

I think a bottle of wine is the perfect thing to bring, it means you're not empty handed but it isn't too over the top. And you get to drink it too. Win win :D
  • Options
    Yeah I feel the same, the whole 'date' part and not knowing him well is what threw me off but it's only polite to bring something. Wine seems the safe choice.

You guys are right, I should try to find out what he's planning. This is around 8 so it could either be a meal or something else. I really hope it's not just a DVD. :p

I'm feeling super naïve with this whole thing, haha.