Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ending housing contract

I'm moving out! :yippe: Although it feels sort of complicated. I've been having a scout about on the Shelter website to see what the deal is already, but some of this is about opinion really.

Background: My flatmate has been offered a new job abroad which he has taken and is due to start at beginning of September (visa depending). I'm due to start a new job in another part of the country some time between September and Christmas, and I want out too as I don't want to complicate my start dates by having to sort housing out, and I'll move back in with my Mum until I find out where I'll be. My flatmate doesn't know when I need to be out by yet, I've intentionally not told him so I can leave earlier than him if need be.

I flatshare with one other person. We had an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement that ended at the end of May. The agency sent us a new 12 month contract which we signed and sent back (we think!), but we never got a copy of it signed by them and back from our letting agency. If the contract hasn't been signed etc., have we automatically gone onto a periodic rather than the fixed term agreement? This would be the best case scenario, as we could just serve the 2 months notice from pretty much now really (from my understanding, anyway).

If we are in the new AST, it is fixed term 12 months from the end of May. It says in there that if we want to leave then we can give 2 months notice to end the contract, but not before 4 months (so the earliest we can leave is end of November assuming we give the 2 months notice at the end of September). This obviously doesn't work well for him as he is supposed to be abroad. I could probably commute but it isn't ideal, especially as I don't know where in the country I'll be and it could be quite far (100 miles+).

The Shelter website says about surrendering the tenancy and coming to an agreement, which I'd probably be happiest with but is the letting agency/landlord likely to do this? My landlord isn't an individual, it's a development company so the flat will just be let again anyway. If we ask about this and they say no, we couldn't do the next bit as they will know we both want to go anyway.

My flatmate's solution is to just tell the agency one of us wants to go, replace that one person and then tell them that the other wants to go a few weeks later, replace them too. Personally I think this sounds dodgy and am really not keen, and I think they'll stop us from doing it so I would want to be the first one that goes so that they don't stop me moving out.

Obviously the easiest thing to do would be to ring up and ask them, but I want it to be an informed phone call if possible rather than uninformed, and if need be then I'll be selective about what I'm telling them so I don't drop myself in it.

Ideas? Suggestions? Comments? Help? All of this just makes my brain hurt :(
Beep boop. I'm a bot.