Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Police need to question me about assulting my cousins ex boyfriend who beat her up

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
To be brief as possible this is what has happened. My cousin dated a very messed up boyfriend for about 1 year 7 months who on some occasions became quite aggressive, possessive, controlling and "off the hook" for the smallest of reasons. Just to sum him up, he deals drugs, takes steroids and never thinks he's done anything wrong, always moody and badly done to, complete prick really.

about 6 months ago he beat her up in the street and the police had to be called, she didn't press any charges so he got off with it even though she has a horrible scar on her arm where he hurt her. For the next 6 months they had no contact until he contacted her and they started talking again, he said he'd changed but while she was out one night he was also out and he started grabbing her again, getting annoyed at her. She kept trying to pull away and told him to not come near her but after some "stalking" he got her outside with his sister, held her against the wall while his sister hit her.

I've stood by and watch him be aggressive many a time and not done a thing thinking "it's a bad argument, i shouldn't put my nose in" and i've regretted it so much. Well this time my cousin did press charges but he managed to get off with it, since then i've been so angry.

He works close to me and a few days after he got off with beating her up i saw him while on my way to the post office to get stamps. i could see him talking on the phone in green combats and a black t shirt pulling it down thinking he's great because he's on steroids. I crossed the road and went to speak to him, then as i get close i saw him see me, then laugh and he said something but i'm not sure what. At that moment i lost control, ran at him and punched him in the side of the head where it bounced off the wall then as he stumbled smacked him again until it all broke loose and we were full blown fighting. It was a good scrap which ended in me with a bloody eye and him asking people to get me off him.

I ran back to work covered in blood and got off home.

well fast forward two weeks i just got a call from the police saying i need to contact them. I'm assuming this means they've been to collect evidence like the CCTv, statements and they want my side of the story now. I'm going to say that he provoked me by smiling and i just lost the plot. It was not premeditated.

I'm just wondering, what do you think will happen? What kind of punishments are there for an assault like this? Could it just go down as my word against his about him provoking me and would they see it as a family dispute or something?

I just wanted the guy to stay away form my cousin and i end up loosing the plot an cracking him.

From what i know, they will have me clearly on CCTV walking up to him while he's on the phone then running at him and punching him, there were many witnesses like security guards since it was outside a public building.

This is quite a serious matter, i work for the government too, the jobcentre in fact, so if i get a criminal record i'm done for where my job is concerned.

Any help would be really appreciated guys. The last fight i had was in school, i've never been in trouble before.

Comments

• Options
    How old are you? If you're under 18 you have a chance at a caution depending on his injuries.
    Otherwise it'll be a court case, either for common assault or ABH. If you goto court you won't be able to argue self-defence (you weren't in danger) and it'll be difficult for you to argue provocation because he'll deny it and the CCTV shows you throwing the first punch.

The judge could take into account the family dispute, and it would be a mitigating circumstance, and if you've never been in trouble with the police before I expect your punishment if any will be a fine/damages.
    As for your record/job that is something your employers will have to decide.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    You'r in the shit mate really.

Should have filled him in on the quiet with no witnesses.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I'm 21, he's 30. thanks for the help whowhere.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about that Nameless -

You may want to check out some of our legal advice on TheSite.org about the basics -

http://www.thesite.org/homelawandmoney/law/introuble/policebasics

http://www.thesite.org/homelawandmoney/law/introuble/rightsonarrest

but I think the first thing you really need to do is to start looking for some legal support.

Best bet in this case is probably to ring the free legal advice service from the Community Legal Service, at the very least to get a firm understanding of your situation.

The number is 0845 345 4 345

And I hope you don't mind but I'll shift this over to home, law and money where it probably fits better.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    You'r in the shit mate really.

Should have filled him in on the quiet with no witnesses.

That's what I was thinking too, sorry Nameless. You tried to beat him with his own weapons and that backfired. In a eye for an eye way your are perfectly justified, but not in a way the law sees it.

good luck, try to come off it cleanly and let us know how it went.
  • Options
    To not put too fine a point on it, you're a bit fucked with this. You're looking at least a charge of actual bodily harm, which might be brought down to affray with a bit of bargaining. Plead guilty early to affray and you'll probably avoid porridge but you're looking at spending a good few hours sweeping the streets or scrubbing the kiddies' play park. You were "provoked by a smile" and then filled him in? Haway, the police are going to rip you to shreds if you go into the interview and say that.

You need legal advice and you need it fast. They'll ask you in for "a little chat" but I'd expect you to be interviewed under caution and then charged. You can get the number for a local criminal law solicitor from the Criminal Law Solicitors Association here.
  • Options
    i hope you dont get in too much trouble.

That sucks :(
  • Options
    Don't tell the gavers what you told us.
    If it were me, I'd lie as little as possible and base it on the truth. I'd say he threw something at me or swung first and that you were scared. Make him out to look a liar. Try your hardest to play down what happened
    Just don't admit you lost control and instigated the violence.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Out of interest, do you know if the man has any previous convictions for dishonesty or violence? If he does then that could really help your defence.

Like skive says, you have to make him look like a nutter who started it. If you say you started it you will be ripped to shreds by the police. If you say you lost control and filled him in then you are likely to make any sentence worse.

Unless you can show that he started it and you were acting in self-defence then you're likely to be charged with ABH, from what you've said. You nmight be lucky and get it down to affray. If you get done for ABH, even with the 1/3 off for an early guilty plea you'll be lucky if you get less than 200 hours community service.
  • Options
    Nice one guys, encourage him to lie. Let's just hope they don't chuck in a perjury charge as well eh.

Nameless, you can lie, but that's your perogative. Remember that you've told us that the CCTV and witnesses will show you going up to someone and hitting them for no reason. If you insist that the other guy threw the first punch despite the evidence then you'll be in more trouble.

And Kermit, his record is irrelevant. You know as well as anyone that just because someone is a twat it doesn't mean you can walk up to them and punch them first and then call it self-defence.
  • Options
    His record isn't irrelevant at all. A good defence barrister would make a section 101 application at court to get his record read out in court. We did it several times when we knew the witness was a violent liar, just as the prosecution barrister did it to us when our defendant was a violent liar.
  • Options
    it's irrelevant when you're looking at guilt. it isn't going to change the fact that nameless assaulted someone for being smiled at. yes they'll take all the past stuff into consideration when sentencing, but relying on someone else's record in court isn't a good idea and telling someone to lie in court despite evidence to the contrary is a worse idea.
  • Options
    (apologise for any typign errors im in work and ahve to be quick)Ok well, they had me on 4 cameras quite clearly attacking him.

The guy who investigated my cousins case with kristian investigated this case because they are connected.

Basically i admitted it completely, told him my story(on my way to post office, i see him and because he got off with his charges i felt compelled to tell him to stay away because there's nothign stopping him contacting her again and as i approached him he laughed, smiled, said something and i lost control, punched him).

I told the officer i was sorry and it's not something i usually do or have ever done.

He said it always goes to the highest charge at first which was ABH but it will probably be brought down to common assult if i get charged. After the interview i think because of the past case with kristian and my cousin it was just a lot of bad blood/family dispute and it won't happen again so eh chose not to take it to the CPS and gave me caution.

So i got off really well considering i was on 4 cameras. I think i got off because of my attitude, my background and his background.
  • Options
    (apologise for any typign errors im in work and ahve to be quick)Ok well, they had me on 4 cameras quite clearly attacking him.

The guy who investigated my cousins case with kristian investigated this case because they are connected.

Basically i admitted it completely, told him my story(on my way to post office, i see him and because he got off with his charges i felt compelled to tell him to stay away because there's nothign stopping him contacting her again and as i approached him he laughed, smiled, said something and i lost control, punched him).

I told the officer i was sorry and it's not something i usually do or have ever done.

He said it always goes to the highest charge at first which was ABH but it will probably be brought down to common assult if i get charged. After the interview i think because of the past case with kristian and my cousin it was just a lot of bad blood/family dispute and it won't happen again so eh chose not to take it to the CPS and gave me caution.

So i got off really well considering i was on 4 cameras. I think i got off because of my attitude, my background and his background.

So, telling the truth worked :thumb: nice one mate. Now don't do it again :p
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    telling someone to lie in court despite evidence to the contrary is a worse idea.

It depends on the evidence, as always. All I've said is that he should think carefully about what he says to the police officer, which is standard advice, there's no point saying things to incriminate yourself if there's no need. You don't get any credit for pleading guilty to the copper, the 1/3 applies on the first day of court, so see what the evidence is before you admit anything.

Just because the police say they've got 4 cameras of you battering him doesn't mean they have. Police officers say a lot of things in interview which bend the truth, shall we say. Their job is to get you to incriminate yourself so they will say they have all this compelling evidence. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

Not telling the police officer that he smiled at you and you lost it isn't lying. If you think it is you're deranged. You're not lying just because you don't tell the whole truth. Only an idiot or an innocent would tell the police everything in the first interview.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Not telling the police officer that he smiled at you and you lost it isn't lying. If you think it is you're deranged. You're not lying just because you don't tell the whole truth. Only an idiot or an innocent would tell the police everything in the first interview.

I know its that kind of world and its a shame because (if you see my thread about 'disguising' the fact I'm a student looking for work) nearly everyone is brought up by their parents to never lie especially to a police officer, in an ideal world people could just tell the truth without worrying about falling into police traps because the police would be solely interested in the best resolution for the situation rather than meeting targets and securing a conviction or whatever.

Sorry I'm rambling :p what I mean in essense: we live in a cynical world, its a shame we can't just be open and honest and 'trust' in a system of citizenship / honour even that we won't be manipulated by telling the truth.
  • Options
    It's not even so much about the police deliberately trying to trap people, although that happens, it's about protecting your own interests. Always wait and see what the evidence is against you. If the evidence is strong plead guilty and sing it from the treetops how sorry you are. If the evidence is very weak say nowt and let them prove it against you.

And, yeah, I'm well aware that's my lawyer brain kicking in.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    It depends on the evidence, as always. All I've said is that he should think carefully about what he says to the police officer, which is standard advice, there's no point saying things to incriminate yourself if there's no need. You don't get any credit for pleading guilty to the copper, the 1/3 applies on the first day of court, so see what the evidence is before you admit anything.

Well pleading guilty, co-operating fully, showing remorse obviously has worked in his favour. To come away from an ABH charge with a caution is, imho VERY lucky indeed, and if he had taken your advice he'd be waiting for a court date.
  • Options
    As you say, he's been very very lucky and helped by circumstance, which would have helped regardless.
  • Options
    Certainly surprising result anyway
  • Options
    Well pleading guilty, co-operating fully, showing remorse obviously has worked in his favour.

Well it's not always like that. The police fucked me over big time several years ago because I was too candid. Then used my statment to go after myu mates.

I did fuck all wrong and came away with a conviction for violent dissorder. My mates who had behaved much worse came away with cautions. I told the truth they lied and they came off better.

Don't tell the police anything until you know what the case is against you. Lying does get people off. That is not bad advice.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »

Don't tell the police anything until you know what the case is against you. Lying does get people off. That is not bad advice.

My point was, he did know the case and evidence against him, as did other people who thought the best advice regardless would be to lie.
    There's one thing lying if you know you can get away with it, doing it when you know they have evidence against you, or advising someone to do it is daft.
  • Options
    It's not daft at all.

Lying to the old bill has always done me alright even when there's been plenty of evidence againts me.

The onme time I was candid with police and I pleaded guilty to something I had barely done. My mates pleaded not guilty to the same offence despite there being more evidence against them and they got off lighter - work that out.
    It's joke.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Just to sum him up, he deals drugs, takes steroids

i could see him talking on the phone in green combats and a black t shirt pulling it down thinking he's great because he's on steroids..

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    My point was, he did know the case and evidence against him, as did other people who thought the best advice regardless would be to lie.
    There's one thing lying if you know you can get away with it, doing it when you know they have evidence against you, or advising someone to do it is daft.

Why is it daft, exactly?

Generally what happens in cases as serious as this is that the person is charged and then prosecuted. The police don't have all the evidence at charge, you know that. Say nothing until you've seen the evidence and hedge your bets. Wait for the evidence to come in and then plead guilty if the evidence is overwhelming. If it's not then you can say you were provoked or acting in self-defence as the evidence won't contradict you.

You know and I know that CCTV shows fuck all, more often than not.
  • Options
    One thing though.

If you've commited a crime, and got away with it scot free, but its relatively serious say GBH, theres a conflict of interests between the lawyer orientated person vs police (one trying to get the smallest sentence, the other the biggest) and the moralist I guess you could call it minded who feel they have a civic duty to confess and be innocent on their conscience...
  • Options
  • Options
    Yea basically what you answered GWST. It 'feels' wrong to hve things on your conscience doesn't it? But the pragmatist in us all thinks going to prison is not going to serve anyone any good. And these two attitudes can seldom be reconciled..
  • Options
    If i had been charged on gone to prison, it would not have made any positive impact on me. I'd have come out even more negative and angry.
  • Options
    If somebody deserved a kicking as this bloke seemed to, then I wouldn't have a guilty conscience after filling him in. I certainly wouldn't hand myself up to the police for them to charge me for it.

This idea that you musn't lie to a policeman is complete crap. Any kids I have will be taught to respect the law, but never to fully trust the police.
    Weekender Offender