Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What to wear under your graduation robes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I'm graduating on the 17th (woohoo!) and thus I have to wear the fabulous ensemble that is mortar board and robes. All the websites keep saying are to "wear a shirt" so you can hook your cape or whatever to it.... but I'm completely stuck with what to wear.

Girls, when you graduated, what did you wear under the robes?

Comments

• Options
    I wore grey trousers with a black shirt and smart heels. I really recommend wearing a shirt because otherwise keeping your hood under control can be a bitch, it's bad enough with a shirt tbh. Take loads of safety pins to keep stuff in place and kirby grips to keep your mortar board on.

Honestly though, you can hardly see whats under a lot of robes. Most people wore black trousers/skirt and a white shirt at mine, and looked like they stepped straight out of school at 16.
  • Options
    TBH I wouldn't wear a shirt if I could do it again. I'd prob wear a v necked top and use safety pins to attach the hood to my bra. I just found that it kept making my shirt ride up and fit wrongly when it was attached to a button on there.

I had a white shirt and just below the knee black floaty skirt. One of my mates wore a really pretty strapless dress from coast. Really it's your day wear what you feel comfortable in as long as it's reasonably smart.
  • Options
    I couldn't find anything to wear to I'm just wearing a black top and taking safety pins and hoping for the best :(
  • Options
    I just wore a fitted shirt and black trousers.

Our robes came in 2 sizes, 'up to 52" chest' and 'over 52" chest', and as I am approximately the size of an Oopma Loompa, you saw about a foot of the bottom of my legs. I could have worn owt, to be honest!
  • Options
    This might be a bit of a pain as I have no cash right now and don't own any shirts apart from an old O2 arena merchandiser shirt haha.

Would a black dress be alright do you reckon? It's kind of a calico fabric so it's quite strong and I reckon it would take the safety pins quite well. It might be a bit formal-ish though..... this is such a pain in the arse to work out haha.
  • Options
    I was going to wear a black dress, I reckon that should be fine.
  • Options
    Thank goodness. My dad's taking me to Shepherds or Rules after so I have to be presentable to go there after.

Now... what shoes to wear...? :)
    (I've already got some picked out thank god!)
  • Options
    A black dress sounds fine both for the graduation and for rules (i've not been to shephurds) - I'm so jealous can i come with you?
  • Options
    Haha, I wish. I don't think my dad would like it though haha.
    X
  • Options

Girls, when you graduated, what did you wear under the robes?

NOTHING... oh the rebellious 70s.
  • Options
    starcrossed have you decided what your going to wear??

i graduate in sept and im thinking of wearing a black dress but then im thinking of wearing smart trousers and a shirt with a waistcoat on top
    (i dont really dress this smart) i b casual n girly :S
  • Options
    I have this black calico dress that is cinched in, with like an elasticated corset-esque waist. Very girly and strong (for holding the cape up) and my late mum's diamond maple leaf brooch (She was Canadian), with a pair of kitten heel Mary Jane's.

Simple make up and stuff. Sounds alright doesn't it? I know a dress might be a bit dressy, but sod it, I'm only graduating once!
  • Options
    That sounds fine. I've just been to my brother's graduation in York and the girls were wearing all different types of outfits - shirts and trousers, skirts and tops, summer dresses, "dressy" dresses...all sorts. To be honest you can hardly see what's under the gown anyway so as long as you're comfortable and feel good in it, that's the most important thing. Enjoy your day :)
  • Options
    Thank youuu. I'm so excited! And! To top it off I've just been offered a job that's relevant to my degree and start on the 28th. Hurrah! Everybody else enjoy their graduation too!