Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Job Interview Attire

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a job interview tomorrow at a marketing company. I have not had an interview in four years, so am a little nervous on what to wear.

I have attached three photos of options. Excuse the lardiness!! :razz:

Option one is a black trouser suit. Wide leg trousers with white piping on jacket and waistband with a simple purple long sleeved top.

Option two is the same suit but with a collorless white shirt with tiny polka dots.

Option three is the trousers from the trouser suit but with a sleeved and collared pin stripe shirt with frill detail.

What one do you think is better?

I myself prefer number one or three but my Mum is telling me that 1) I have to wear a suit to an interview and 2) I also have to wear a shirt.

How many of you (girls) would actually wear a suit and shirt to an interview? I just feel like a kid dressing up in it's mothers clothes in one.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Really you need to be looking at dressing up about 1-2 notches more than you would need to for the job. As a lot of offices are quite informal now, you can usually get away without wearing a suit for interview.

I'd go with number one. As long as it is smart you will be fine. I haven't worn a full suit at interview for years, and it's expected more of men than women.

PS: I know I'm not a girl.
  • Options
    I always wear a trouser suit and white shirt for interviews - it's important to look smart and professional. Having worked in a few HR departments in the past, I know that first appearance is very important.

BUT that shirt doesn't go with that suit.
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about the suitandshirt thing, especially for a marketing company - they tend to be a bit more creative. You do need to be smart, clean and neat, but I've always been advised to add a little bit of your personality into interview outfits, and my personality is not suit and shirt. Hasn't caused me any problems thus far!
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about the suitandshirt thing, especially for a marketing company - they tend to be a bit more creative. You do need to be smart, clean and neat, but I've always been advised to add a little bit of your personality into interview outfits, and my personality is not suit and shirt. Hasn't caused me any problems thus far!

I work for a marketing agency and although on a day to day basis I can wear jeans etc, the job itself is very client focused so they do expect that you can look smart. Surely it's better to look smart and show you can be professional, and then actually show your personality in the interview itself.
  • Options
    2 is probably the most professional looking.. I'd still recomend something smarter though if you can, better to be over dressed than under dressed
  • Options
    1 looks pretty smart. Always better to wear a suit to an interview and then know you can dress down for day-to-day.

I used to wear t-shirts, combats and trainers all the time in one of my previous jobs (internet based companies so no face-to-face work) unless I had to go to meeting with the external accountants when I wore suits.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    I work for a marketing agency and although on a day to day basis I can wear jeans etc, the job itself is very client focused so they do expect that you can look smart. Surely it's better to look smart and show you can be professional, and then actually show your personality in the interview itself.

You can show personality and look smart and professional at the same time!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    Pictures are gone but i would only wear a trouser suit and shirt to an interview!