Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Alternatives To Gaviscon?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ever since having IBS, I've also had really bad indigestion. I have some Gaviscon chewable tablets, but they just don't help more. I've tried Rennie, but that doesn't help much either.

Is there really anything else I can try?

Comments

• Options
    i would try nux vomica
  • Options
    i dont find them sort of things work.
    you could try Zantac, a tablet to block the release of some of the acid in your stomach.
  • Options
    i would try nux vomica

This is homeopathy (sp) or something I can buy over the counter?
  • Options
    Have you tried tums?

Other than that milk is a good one but depends how bad you get indigestion.
  • Options
    I'd definitely go with Zantac. Very effective, especially the ones you disolve in water (although not as convenient as the tablets).
  • Options
    Andrews salts tend to be pretty good, the ones that are dissolved in water, but they taste foul. A teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in water also helps me with trapped wind or bloating, although it isn't so good for heartburn.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    A teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in water also helps me with trapped wind or bloating.

I get this as well, so thank you for the advice.

Thanks everyone. Can I buy Zantac, or do I ned to see my GP?
  • Options
    you can buy zantac from a supermarket. some might have their own 'heartburn relief' brand which is fine but what you want is ranitidine 75mg.

if gaviscon and rennie hasnt work i personally wouldnt (and didnt) waste my time with the likes of Tums. Gaviscon is a rafting agent and Rennie neutralises the acid, if neither worked then preventing the release of excess acid is the next one to try.
  • Options
    Melian, I have an older friend who uses Nexium (Esomepazole) 40 mg. She has the same kind of symptoms. You could check it out with your doctor, see what he/she thinks. :)

Poppi
  • Options
    a PPI(proton-pump inhibitor) like esomeprazole would probably be tried next if ranitidine doesnt work and your GP thinks it is excess stomach acid. Nexium is expensive so chances are you'd get omeprazole, maybe lansoprazole. I can say from experience that lansoprazole works miracles.
  • Options
    I was asking a friend about an alternative to that gaviscon and she suggested trying an infusion of mint leaves in boiled water. I went further and googled up "peppermint water" as she called it but the only lead i found was here: http://www.purplesage.org.uk/profiles/peppermint.htm

Don't get peppermint water mixed up with that brand product Metromint. This is different. The infor i found on that site seemed a logical natural plant remedy but caution for breastfeeders.

Maybe a couple of drops of peppermint oil in warmed water could help? I used that for some indigestion. ( Peppermint oil is obtainable from a pharmacist) but ask first.

Poppi