Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Warts and Herpes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok I've read quite a lot of information about this subject.

Now, I'm pretty sure I have the genital warts but not the herpes and apparently they are actually separate things - warts being caused by the HPV virus.

My question is (and I know that I can get prescription cream for them) what else have people tried? And why can I not try something like Zovirax :)

Any ideas?

There are indeed a lot of so called remedies and cures but I'd appreciate some honesty from people who have tried as the so called testimonials are obviously to push the products ...

Thanks
:)

Comments

• Options
    KTGKTG Posts: 6 Confirmed not a robot
    Hi

It can be very tempting in these situations to try and self diagnose and self treat, but I would really recommend that you seek some medical advice and get the suitable treatment prescribed by a professional.

If you go along to your local GUM (sexual health) clinic you'll be able to see a doctor or nurse who's an expert in diagnosing sexually transmitted infections and therefore recommend the best possible treatment. You could also visit one of the charity Brook's centres- there are 17 around the country, which you can look up on their website.

Herpes does not have a cure, but the symptoms can be managed with anti-viral tablets, if you catch the outbreak quick enough to contain it.
    Genital warts will probably need to be removed by a medical professional, so again you will definitely need to visit a sexual health clinic and won't be able to self-treat them.

It's great you're getting advice on this, and the sooner you get it diagnosed and treated, the better, especially if you are having a sexual relationship with someone, who could potentially catch this infection from you.

All the best,
    Katie
  • Options
    Bump

Hi

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has used the Warticon and if that has successfully cured their warts.

Thanks
    A.
  • Options
    You need to go to the clinic. Take someone with you to hold you hand but in my experience they are nice and helpful. They will know for sure what you have and the best treatment. bite the bullet.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    You need to go to the clinic. Take someone with you to hold you hand but in my experience they are nice and helpful. They will know for sure what you have and the best treatment. bite the bullet.

Hmm my bad I should have said I did go to the GU clinic and they gave me the Warticon which I'm now using - however, just wanted to know if someone had used this and had good or bad results.

:)
  • Options
    Ah, fair play. No idea, sorry.
  • Options
    Hiya.
    I recently got diagnosed with having warts. The doctors at the GUM clinic used something to burn them off three times, and i had them frozen off twice by the doctors. They then gave me Warticon to use at home and it has worked really well, and by the looks of things it's all cleared up :) so Warticon does work if you use it right. Hope you have the same results as me.
  • Options
    If anyone male or female has had these did you have have a screening to see if the warts have changed the cells around if your body because I remember once being told by a doctor that they can cause cancer if they are a certain type?

Also, if you have warts and you get rid of them, does they virus stay in your system so another person could get it easily?
  • Options
    Makoto wrote: »
    Also, if you have warts and you get rid of them, does they virus stay in your system so another person could get it easily?

Yes it can.
  • Options
    Warticon

Right well a few things, the Waritcon certainly makes the areas to which it is applied rather tender also I haven't really noticed any changes.

Last night i decided to take a new approach, so, I got some sewing cotton and tied up one of the larger buggers. About as much comfort as the Warticon but today (about this time 3pm) the wart had died naturally.

However it's pretty tricky getting them all. Also they seem to have climbed up to the top of my pubic hair where the top of my boxers are. Is this normal?!

I thought there were restricted to the penis and or scrotum ... !

Any thoughts and ideas would be most helpful ... !

• Options
    Hiya.
    I recently got diagnosed with having warts. The doctors at the GUM clinic used something to burn them off three times, and i had them frozen off twice by the doctors. They then gave me Warticon to use at home and it has worked really well, and by the looks of things it's all cleared up :) so Warticon does work if you use it right. Hope you have the same results as me.

So you got treated 5 times!?

3 with burning and one with freezing!? AND Warticon !?

Man that doesn't bode well at all !!!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster

You say that, but I think it does bode well - because what she's saying is regardless of the freezing experience, Warticon does work :)
  • Options
    Hmm

The thing is, is she saying Warticon works only after the other treatments?

Shouldn't it work instead of them?
  • Options
    The thing is, is she saying Warticon works only after the other treatments?

Shouldn't it work instead of them?

:yes: which is what I think she's saying. So go try it! ;)
  • Options
    I have been using Waritcon with limited sucess...

however the cotton-strangulation thing has worked very well indeed!

it natually went :D

have to see if it returns though but if not then I'll use that method to get rid of the larger buggers and use Warticon on the smaller ones.

One night and the wart goes! awesome.
  • Options

the reason i had to have so many treatments was because my immune system is so low (i've recently had glandular fever) the warts kept coming back. but warticon worked really well for me, but i don't know weather it was a combination of all the freezing processes and warticon or just warticon on it's own. i guess it's all down to each individual.

i hope everyone gets sorted :)
  • Options
    Updates

Well, the cotton thing works as long as the tie stays on.

Was toying with the idea of sodium peroxide for the smaller ones.

Two of the larger ones of which the cotton fell off seems to be enlarged so clip clip with the nail clippers and off they come.

I'm going to clip the bigger ones and treat the smaller ones.

Ok so the other treatments do work but this is quick but not painless ;)

Oh and you can't be a wuss!
  • Options
    I know this thread was a while back but I had GW and had quite a few - some quite big ones as I was real embarresed of going to the doctors.
    I finally picked up the courage and was given warticon to use.

Used it twice a day, one in the morning the minute I woke, and once at night before I slept.

I did this for three days and for those three days I saw no change in size, just that they had gone white and was quite tender down there.

However, woke up on the forth day and it looks like they just dissapeared. Every single one has gone without a trace and although I had some mild discomfort over those three days and for around 2 days afterwards I am really quite happy.
  • Options
    Hey

Well in the end I decided to go to my local GU clinic and it turns out that I have something called Molluscum - there is some info on it here:

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068963/

Ensure you don't have that :)

In the end I just got them frozen off - a day or so and they were gone!
  • Options
    Worticon didn't work for me...

Hi I have one spot like thing.. had it for about a year didn't hurt or itch or anything went to my local GUM clinic and the doctor said it didn't look like a wart but would give me a cream to get rid of it... they game me warticon and told me to use it for 4 weeks 3 days on 4 days off. so i did and after 4 weeks the spot is still the same no change at all?? wht shud i do now and if its not a wart why was i given warticon? all the other tests they took of me have all come bk clear. I have only had one partner for 15 years and we both were virgins when we married i had no boyfriends and he had no girlfriends my hubby doesn't have anything either?? so wht could it be?? i'm worried plz advise. thnx. I want to plan for a baby but am just waiting for this thing to go..:confused:
  • Options
    Go back to the GU clinic and see what they say, or - as it doesn't seem to be an STI, go to your GP.
  • Options
    Get 'em frozen off

Hey - ok quickest way forward is to pop back to your GUM clinc and tell them it didn't work. Just say that you want it frozen off. This is the easiet and quickest treatment. When I used Waritcon I was told it doesn't always work for everyone and that if it didn't, just get the clinic to use the liquid Nitrogen on it. It stings a bit but it's gone within a few days as the frozen, dead skin is replaced by new skin underneath.

take care :)
    Hi I have one spot like thing.. had it for about a year didn't hurt or itch or anything went to my local GUM clinic and the doctor said it didn't look like a wart but would give me a cream to get rid of it... they game me warticon and told me to use it for 4 weeks 3 days on 4 days off. so i did and after 4 weeks the spot is still the same no change at all?? wht shud i do now and if its not a wart why was i given warticon? all the other tests they took of me have all come bk clear. I have only had one partner for 15 years and we both were virgins when we married i had no boyfriends and he had no girlfriends my hubby doesn't have anything either?? so wht could it be?? i'm worried plz advise. thnx. I want to plan for a baby but am just waiting for this thing to go..:confused:
  • Options
    Hi

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone has used the Warticon and if that has successfully cured their warts.

A.

Hi,

I have been using Warticon for almost 3 months and still, beside being painful, I still have the warts. Did you get rid of them?

K.
  • Options
    Hey Krayus,
    Glad you've posted. :)

This thread was posted in 2008 so it's unlikely justworried will see it. However, if you read this whole thread in detail you'll see that justworried did try some alternative methods and also in the end went to her GUM clinic and was given another diagnosis.

Have you been to visit a GUM Clinic about your warts at all? It's not clear whether Warticon was prescribed or if you bought it over the counter. If it was the latter then it's probably worth getting checked out - as you're aware, it can feel pretty frustrating when you've been using something for quite a long time without any results...

Keep us posted...
  • Options
    Thnks Helen,
    Im gonna go to the GUM this week, it's becoming very unpleasant and they won't go with warticon. BTW i was prescribed warticon at the GUM.
    Keep you informed!
    K.