Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Stopping and Starting Pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been on Microgynon for about 18months now, no problems whatsoever until the last few months when I've noticed I've put on a lot of weight; I used to be a very petite size 8/10 weighing between 7.5 and 8 stone; now I've got a tummy which hangs over my trousers and I weigh over 9 stone. I've not made any changes to my diet or lifestyle, if anything I've become more active!

Having browsed the web for a few hours researching it I reckon my weight gain is probably down to the pill; I was wondering, if I stopped taking it for a good few months to see if the weight comes off, if I then restarted it do you think I'd have another year and a bit before it comes back on again (like when I first started it?)...

:confused:

Comments

• Options
    Depending on your reason for taking the pill, instead of starting and stopping I'd suggest talking to your gyno about other forms of birth control such as a low hormone or a hormone free type which may not give you the unwanted side effects. There are a million and a half different forms of bc out there now, if one isn't up to your standards, don't be afraid about switching to something more suitable.
  • Options
    The pill can sometimes increase your appetite. But it doesn't do that to everyone.
    I don't think it'd be sensible to go off the pill just to try and lose weight. If you're going to be on the pill long term, it's best to try and find a way of being on the pill and losing weight/managing your weight whilst on it.
  • Options
    Depending on your reason for taking the pill, instead of starting and stopping I'd suggest talking to your gyno about other forms of birth control such as a low hormone or a hormone free type which may not give you the unwanted side effects. There are a million and a half different forms of bc out there now, if one isn't up to your standards, don't be afraid about switching to something more suitable.

:yes: If you want to use hormonal contraception long term.

I put weight on very gradually with Cilest and very quickly on Cerrezette (half a stone in three months!) I'm starting to shift weight on the implant but its still going to take a long time.