Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Stomach Acid

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I've been having problems for over a year now pesistent cough and I've had 7 infections in less than a year in my chest. I've been to see respiratory consultant and they thought it was post nasal drip - its not.
Today I saw the ENT consultant and he checked my nose, throat, ears etc and everything is clear the only thing he thought it could possibly be is acid in the stomach!! I don't think this is correct as I have never had indigestion or heartburn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i've been prescripbed gaviscone and a tablet, has anyone come across anything like this????????

I'm gettin soooooooo sick of it now, really thinking about buying a gun

Comments

• Options
    I would assume you have acid reflux, where stomach acid comes up too far into the throat and burns it, this probably causes the cough and probably makes it more likely you'll get an infection.

There are longer lasting tablets than just chalk.
  • Options
    Thats what he said but I've never had burning sensation or any syptoms of indigestion or anything no horrible taste in mouth nothing just a cough, which did disappear for nearly 2 weeks 3 weeks ago.
    I've got advance gaviscone liquid and omprazole
    Have you come across anything as bizare before?
  • Options
    I knew someone who had acid reflux, you dont always know its that and she ended up having really bad problems with gas - the throat tightened and she then had problems.

I just went on your symptoms - it makes sense given what else has been ruled out.
  • Options
    MMMM thats what I thought when I heard it but I dunno jst not too convinced.
    Going on holiday in 6weeks and I'm gonna have no room for clothes the amount of medication I take!
  • Options
    Its not like antacids are dangerous, give them a go and see if they work.
  • Options
    I know just don't wanna make myself worse and not get on holiday cos i NEED a holiday
  • Options
    omeprazole is good, if it is stomach acid
  • Options
    What you've been given will either help, or have no affect so it's worth a shot.
  • Options
    Thats what I've been given and gaviscone advance
    Sorry meant to say I'm also Wisecrack, lost the password years ago and found it the other week and been using that account on different computer!
  • Options
    I always had to cough and clear my throat after eating mostly but also throughout the day. I had no idea it was acid reflux. Was given Omeprazole and it really helped.
  • Options
    Thats exactly what I'm like
    I mean it is making sense but I just don't understand why I've been getting soooo many chest infections
  • Options
    maybe acid is coming up your oesophagus during the night and entering wind pipe, might bw causing infections?
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote: »
    maybe acid is coming up your oesophagus during the night and entering wind pipe, might bw causing infections?

MMMM possibly!! Started medication today, but stupid me forgot to ask if the stuff I take for asthma/hayfever is ok to be taken at same time and if the pill is still effective......duh!
  • Options
    Wisecrack wrote: »
    MMMM possibly!! Started medication today, but stupid me forgot to ask if the stuff I take for asthma/hayfever is ok to be taken at same time and if the pill is still effective......duh!

I wouldnt take other medication at the same time as the chalk, the tablet may well not break down properly, space them a couple of hours apart.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    I wouldnt take other medication at the same time as the chalk, the tablet may well not break down properly, space them a couple of hours apart.

Yeh thats what I'm tryin to do!
    The Gaviscone advanced is the liquid format
  • Options
    Wisecrack wrote: »
    Yeh thats what I'm tryin to do!
    The Gaviscone advanced is the liquid format

I presume the gaviscone is a chalk variant and the other a more complex drug to make you produce less acid in the first place.
  • Options
    Think so!!
  • Options
    Gaviscon works by forming a 'raft' on top of the stomach contents to stop the acid rising up the oesophagus.
    Omeprazole is a proton-pump inhibitor which basically reduces the amount of stomach acid released.