Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

"Fuck off" earns 2 marks in GCSE English

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7481715.stm
The pupil is reported to have written "fuck off", and would have had another mark for adding an exclamation point.

Mr Buckroyd is quoted by the Times as saying: "It would be wicked to give it a zero because it does show some very basic skills we are looking for - like conveying some meaning and some spelling."

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Comments

• Options
    :lol: we always got told at GCSE that spelling our name right on the paper would get us 2 marks :D
  • Options
    I can actually see why the examiner gave the student two marks. Writing 'fuck off' shows a lack of respect but at least 2 marks is slightly more encouraging than a mark of zero which just seems to suggest academic failure. In a GCSE exam I don't really see the big problem.
  • Options
    I can actually see why the examiner gave the student two marks. Writing 'fuck off' shows a lack of respect but at least 2 marks is slightly more encouraging than a mark of zero which just seems to suggest academic failure. In a GCSE exam I don't really see the big problem.
    Sure, but 2 marks out of 27 for that, when somebody hardworking (but no genius) who's attempted to answer the question, strung sentences together, thought about structure etc may get say 15 out of 27, takes the piss!
  • Options
    tinkler wrote: »
    Sure, but 2 marks out of 27 for that, when somebody hardworking (but no genius) who's attempted to answer the question, strung sentences together, thought about structure etc may get say 15 out of 27, takes the piss!

But that person still got a much higher mark than the student who wrote 'fuck off'. It would be more of an issue for me if it was A Levels or degree but GCSE? Some people need encouraging and GCSE marks don't really mean much in the long run.
  • Options
    Hmm... two marks for writing "fuck off" on a GCSE paper? And people try to persuade me that exams aren't getting easier?
  • Options
    But that person still got a much higher mark than the student who wrote 'fuck off'. It would be more of an issue for me if it was A Levels or degree but GCSE? Some people need encouraging and GCSE marks don't really mean much in the long run.
    Think its "encouraging" in the wrong way if people know they can write "fuck off" as an exam answer and still get some marks!

At school I knew a lot of people unable to string a sentence together for GCSE French or German. They'd score ~30% tactically guessing in multiple choice, get marks answering just "oui/non" or "ja/nein" in the oral, and typically be awarded a Grade E GCSE. Yet people who get a C/D have often put a fair bit of work in for that. The way grade boundaries work, you can still get a GCSE pass at E/F/G level with utter nonsense, yet a D and a G are often worth the same by employers - a "GCSE pass" not of the A*-C irk.
  • Options
    tinkler wrote: »
    Think its "encouraging" in the wrong way if people know they can write "fuck off" as an exam answer and still get some marks!

At school I knew a lot of people unable to string a sentence together for GCSE French or German. They'd score ~30% tactically guessing in multiple choice, get marks answering just "oui/non" or "ja/nein" in the oral, and typically be awarded a Grade E GCSE. Yet people who get a C/D have often put a fair bit of work in for that. The way grade boundaries work, you can still get a GCSE pass at E/F/G level with utter nonsense, yet a D and a G are often worth the same by employers - a "GCSE pass" not of the A*-C irk.

I think if a person writes 'fuck off' in an exam they obviously feel they have no hope. So maybe awarding them 2 marks is going to counteract that. I certainly think it would do more for the student individually than a mark of zero and a slap on the wrists. Especially at GCSE level which is a pretty tumultuous time.
  • Options
    no no no, the way to pass a language oral is to prepare a speech and memorise the whole thing really really well. Then, learn a few things like "I like to play football" "my dad is a teacher" and "I have seven guinea pigs" to answer questions with. Voila! This answer can also be adapted for the written paper :thumb:
  • Options
    no no no, the way to pass a language oral is to prepare a speech and memorise the whole thing really really well. Then, learn a few things like "I like to play football" "my dad is a teacher" and "I have seven guinea pigs" to answer questions with. Voila! This answer can also be adapted for the written paper :thumb:
    hahaha, i managed to get an A by doing that :p

And let them get 2 marks, in the whole grand scheme of things it its less than 8% which im sure is a G or a U.
  • Options
    Given the question was 'describe the room you are sitting in' I think its a very reasonable answer, its a stupid question.

As others have said its not like they are awarding big scores for this, if thats all the person put down then they are probably going to fail whether or not they get the two points.
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    hahaha, i managed to get an A by doing that :p

And let them get 2 marks, in the whole grand scheme of things it its less than 8% which im sure is a G or a U.
    Hats off to you, I only got a C!
  • Options
    I reckon the more worrying part is this:
    We do not condone the use of obscenities in scripts: in the light of this incident we will be reviewing our instructions to examiners which will include reiterating the procedure to be followed when encountering obscenities in scripts.
    What sort of English exam doesn't condone the use of what is a perfectly acceptable part of the English language?

A few people did this sort of thing on our GCSE mock exam for R.E. but they got told off for it.
  • Options
    It's not standard English, which is what you are required to write in (and indeed should have been taught in) during an English exam. I imagine that the exception to this is when writing dialogue. Exams are formal and you wouldn't expect to include expletives in other formal writing would you?
  • Options

What sort of English exam doesn't condone the use of what is a perfectly acceptable part of the English language?

A few people did this sort of thing on our GCSE mock exam for R.E. but they got told off for it.

I wrote that God is a woman in my RE exam and for a B for it. Must have spelled my name right too. If I'd ended the paper with 'fuck off' I might have scraped an A :D
  • Options

It depends entirely on the context, if you are asked about symbolism in Great Expectations I think it is right that they would mark you down for using persistant swear words.
  • Options
    He got two points for being able to give combining accuracy and brevity and for proper use of grammar. If you read a lot of public sector papers, you'll realise what rare and valuable commodities these skills are.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    It depends entirely on the context, if you are asked about symbolism in Great Expectations I think it is right that they would mark you down for using persistant swear words.

The mists on the marshes symbolise some mad fucking danger is coming up and usually mean bad shit is about to down for Pip.
  • Options
    The mists on the marshes symbolise some mad fucking danger is coming up and usually mean bad shit is about to down for Pip.

D-
  • Options
    D-

Dude, that's cold. :impissed:

:D
  • Options
    I'm just shocked people can remember actually taking their GCSEs. It's all a blur to me now :D
  • Options
    You cant expect more than that for a one line answer (although it was good).
  • Options
    The mists on the marshes symbolise that danger is coming up and usually mean something bad is about to happen for Pip.

expletives removed (and grammar tidied)
  • Options

i almost got disqualified from my A Levels for swearing at the QCR for forcing me to do general studies, found out because my headteacher received a letter from exam board, needless to say i didn't contest and still got an E

was part of a nice 2 page rant on it though
  • Options

Well of course. But that's not what they said. They said they don't approve of swear words full stop. They didn't put a qualifier. Having said that, the word "bullshit" is a particular favourite of many leading academics. ;)
  • Options
    I can see your point J, but having been the off spring of a teacher I've heard that many of these trips outside of holiday time arent the learning experience they could be. Many kids come back not even knowing what country they went to.
  • Options
    I can see your point J, but having been the off spring of a teacher I've heard that many of these trips outside of holiday time arent the learning experience they could be. Many kids come back not even knowing what country they went to.

It depends how you define 'learning'. We are conditioned to believe in the power of formal education but there is as much merit in broadening experiences as furthering strictly academic achievement.
  • Options
    If a kid dared write 'fuck off' on an exam paper in Spain they'd probably be given an automatic '0' mark and told to fuck off themselves :D

I love this country :)
  • Options

Most of these trips outside of holiday time are more to do with the fact that it's a rip-off to go on holiday during holiday time.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    If a kid dared write 'fuck off' on an exam paper in Spain they'd probably be given an automatic '0' mark and told to fuck off themselves :D

I love this country :)

but aladdin we here in the uk pride ourselves on not making children feel bad about themselves, you've got to think about their feelings, don't you realise if you criticise them it might damage their self esteem and we don't want that....won't somebody think about the children!
  • Options
    but aladdin we here in the uk pride ourselves on not making children feel bad about themselves

too lean if you ask me. Too many teens in this country deserve more than a darn ASBO.
    This is nothing compared to just spelling your name right. If you write your name on an exam, you've passed.